Door left open for owen - To come back anytime

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:01 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Personally I'd put all thoughts about Owen returning out of my mind.

There's an old saying in football: never go back, and proof in the Liverpool pudding was Ian Rush, who was never the same player for us when he returned from Italy.

Agreed, Rushie wasn't the same player, but still a quality player who wanted to play for the club, and still a lot better than some others arround at the time.

I think the more relevant question will be, will Benitez want him back, and will he fit into the team?
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:48 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Get a grip.

Michael Owen took up what was undoubtedly the chance of a lifetime, who would you rather play with Ronaldo, Zidane, Beckham, Figo, Solari etc... or Biscan, Traore, Diomede etc....

I know where I would rather be.

I know where I'd rather be,playing for Liverpool with Gerrard,Garcia,Alonso,Kewell,Hamann,Hyypia,Carragher,Josemi,Finnan,Riise,Baros,Cisse,Dudek
,Kirkland,Nunez and other great players to come in January.
     If Owen wants to play with the has-beens then thats fine because he was fast turning into one.As for a return,that will never happen because we will be better for his leaving.No more the one dimensional game plan.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Redrider » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:45 pm

I don't think Michael Owen would have anything to offer Liverpool FC at age 28. My view is that he will be well past his sell by date, having lost his pace and probably having collected a few more persistant injury problems, I can't see him dropping back into mid-field. If he returns as a flop after one year, then we should take him back for £4m to reinforce our striking options for 'Cup Games'. :cool:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby policy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:50 pm

John Barne's Granny is the one with the most sense on this topic.

When a guy or girl leaves a relationship and learns a bunch of s*x moves with Ms. Universe, do you think that he will come back to you?

4 years from now, if Madrid still want him (they are winning trophies) he is not going to return to Liverpool. The reason why he left was to win a bunch of trophies.

If he is doing poorly, we won't want him back because his breath will smell like Ms. Universe.

Liverpool fans are way too needy.

Get over him please. We have so much talent here that having him back is moving backwards to last year.

"There's an old saying in football: never go back." - Epictetus reincarnate
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby policy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:08 pm

I also feel that about 28 will be his peak years. By then, he could be very wily with all of his experience.

Physically, he will probably be peaking in his abilities. His physical ability will probably start to wane after this period.

But we shouldn't even hope that he will come back.

He didn't have the mental fortitude to stick it through unlike Gerrard, and build this club up to legendary status.

He felt that he couldn't really improve here. That is his weakness and not our fault.

Three years from now I hope that there won't be too much of a difference between us and RM.

By then, Gerrard will be permanently engraved in our hearts. Owen on the other hand will just be another Brit amongst Galacticos.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby policy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:19 pm

I don't think that Owen has the killer instinct anymore. His performance toward the end of last season showed that. Others may think that he lost it much earlier. (Please share your opinion).

Despite his physical potential, (this is just my opinion) his mental weakness may be his downfall.

It is funny how instead of fixing this problem (with a sport psychologist maybe) he blamed Liverpool for hitting this "invisible ceiling". Saying rubbish like "I have been here for 12 years".
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby Fat Controller » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:28 pm

Owen was a great servant for Liverpool,remember the treble year when he won the FA Cup single handed,remember the games in the premiership and in europe when his goals saved Liverpool from losing,yes i would have MO back tomorrow if he wanted to come home.
Fat Controller

Postby supersub » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:33 pm

policy wrote:When a guy or girl leaves a relationship and learns a bunch of s*x moves with Ms. Universe, do you think that he will come back to you?

I think a better comparison would be that of an old prostitute,who's been around the block too many times and is just going to do one more trick for her pimp,and old times sakes.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:38 pm

i certainly think owen has lost what he had.
he has improved in many more aspects of his game beyond doubt, but i dont think that has made up for that enthusiasm he had to pick the ball up from anywhere and try things, fearlessly.

when was the last time you seen michael owen coming deep to get the ball and turning to run at defenders?

does everyone remember when he used to also get to the byline and cut them back across goal?

he seems to see himself as a more intelligent pleyer, but has cooled as a result, and most of his workrate is in and around the box.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:47 pm

supersub wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:Get a grip.

Michael Owen took up what was undoubtedly the chance of a lifetime, who would you rather play with Ronaldo, Zidane, Beckham, Figo, Solari etc... or Biscan, Traore, Diomede etc....

I know where I would rather be.

I know where I'd rather be,playing for Liverpool with Gerrard,Garcia,Alonso,Kewell,Hamann,Hyypia,Carragher,Josemi,Finnan,Riise,Baros,Cisse,Dudek

,Kirkland,Nunez and other great players to come in January.
     If Owen wants to play with the has-beens then thats fine because he was fast turning into one.As for a return,that will never happen because we will be better for his leaving.No more the one dimensional game plan.

Yes but at the time, there was the uncertainty regarding the new manager, as well as no Garcia, Nunez, Alonso or Josemi, Kewell not living up to expectations, Gerrard seriously having considered leaving, Hamman and Hyypia looking tired and lacking in pace, Dudek looking dodgy as ever, Kirkland injured seven months a year, Finnan apparently surplus to requirements, Cisse unproven in the English league, and Baros  previously only having been potential rather than finished article.

Has beens? Ronaldo & Zidane are arguabley the best in the world in their respective positions, and whilst will give you Figo as a fading star and Carlos past his best, Raul is an undobted star, and Morientes (CL last year) can bang them in, and in Walter Samuel and Johnathan Woodgate they have a defensive partnership that every team in the world would kill for.

I also think that your criticsm of Owen is unfair. He did not pick the team or tell the team how to play, and I am sure if he did then the one dimensional lump it long Owen on his own upfront mentality a certain Mr Houllier employed would have been out the window.

I usually respect your views Supersub, I can only presume you had a bad day at the office today....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:01 pm

We got the best deal..A stale Owen leaves to sit on the bench at Madrid.
Raul has had his day
Zidane has still got it but we've got Gerrard
Ronaldo has past his sell by
Woodgate wasn't there when Owen left
Benitez is a manager that doesn't suffer fools lightly,MO couldn't pull RB's strings like he could Houllier
Morientes wasn't even playing for Madrid last year

Watch....we will move forward and Real Madrid will continue to slide backwards,with only there brand name and the fading "Galacticos" image keeping them in the news.
I find it puzzlingwhen certain people refer to them as the best team in Europe/World and yet they haven't won the top prize in Europe for 2 years and had to qualify for the Champions league this year.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 72-1090627431 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:06 pm

slam the door shut!
72-1090627431

Postby banana » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:38 pm

Why should we take him back if he fails in Spain? Or rather when he fails in Spain? This is silly. He has not been performing since 2001 and for the last years we suffered because he lost his pace and killer instinct. Let him return to poor Man C and play relegation football with Robbie and Stevie.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby greenred » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:50 pm

Interesting discussion fellas and a hard one to call.I personally dont think we`ll see michael back in a red shirt.Benitez is a serious man not fazed by celebrity.He buys players on ability,not reputation.I dont think he`d buy a Beckham or a Figo.If michael owen came back it would be because of his reputation,not on his recent form.Benitez just wont do it.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:54 pm

spot-on
supersub
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion