Doom and gloom - Maybe not ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:14 pm

Im not going to comment on where we can finish if certain resuts happen. Before I do though I need to see them in another tugh away test and I think away to Wigan will be a good acid test for us.

There no push overs and are a capable side another year wiser in the Premiership. If we can come away with 3 points from that, then well take it from there.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:44 am

I have to agree with Ace. The one season we are to be considered true title contenders then we get a nightmare start in the fixture list amongst international friendlies and competetive matches being played. The top four get off lightly while LFC suffer the most. Coincidence? no, definitely not. Too many people are bitter about the success Liverpool had in Istanbul and they definitely progressed last season in the league but because of that progression Liverpool end up with daftest fixture list (including international matches) off all the top teams.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:26 am

We'll finish third or fourth and win a cup.

I have no doubt.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:46 am

Kharhaz wrote:I have to agree with Ace. The one season we are to be considered true title contenders then we get a nightmare start in the fixture list amongst international friendlies and competetive matches being played. The top four get off lightly while LFC suffer the most. Coincidence? no, definitely not. Too many people are bitter about the success Liverpool had in Istanbul and they definitely progressed last season in the league but because of that progression Liverpool end up with daftest fixture list (including international matches) off all the top teams.

Desperate excuses.  Has it really come to this where we blame the fixture list.  We played Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal and got beat.  That is our own fault.  We had a easy first game v Sheff Utd and blew it.  We went to Bolton and Everton and blew it.  Everyone has to deal with international games. Just some teams cope better.  Boro away wasnt a difficult game, yet we blew it.

How many people moaned about the fixture list when it came out.  Or is it now that we lost the games its time to start complaining.
puroresu

Postby joko » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:44 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:We'll finish third or fourth and win a cup.

I have no doubt.

it requires being the first to grab the cup, doesn't it?  :D
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:06 pm

puroresu wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:I have to agree with Ace. The one season we are to be considered true title contenders then we get a nightmare start in the fixture list amongst international friendlies and competetive matches being played. The top four get off lightly while LFC suffer the most. Coincidence? no, definitely not. Too many people are bitter about the success Liverpool had in Istanbul and they definitely progressed last season in the league but because of that progression Liverpool end up with daftest fixture list (including international matches) off all the top teams.

Desperate excuses.  Has it really come to this where we blame the fixture list.  We played Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal and got beat.  That is our own fault.  We had a easy first game v Sheff Utd and blew it.  We went to Bolton and Everton and blew it.  Everyone has to deal with international games. Just some teams cope better.  Boro away wasnt a difficult game, yet we blew it.

How many people moaned about the fixture list when it came out.  Or is it now that we lost the games its time to start complaining.

I actually dont think you support Liverpool FC, all you EVER post is negative b@llocks.
Lando just posted something sensible about waiting until we have played the same fixtures before we write off the season.
And you spout the same sh!te as always.

Nobody is happy with the defeats or the current league placing BUT it is not accurate until we have finished the season.
The fixture list is not an excuse...it is a fact, we were bumped big style, it would of worked in our favour had we got something out of the games but surely the fixtures united have had have allowed them to start the season looking far better, only an idiot couldnt see that.
Tell me what difficult away games united have had so far ?
They are always going to win the majority at old trafford, lets see how many points they drop when they play arsenal chelsea ourselves and everton away....then make a judgement.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:26 pm

puroresu wrote:We played Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal and got beat.  T

what u say if we beat manutd, celski, arsenal, bolton and everton in home match? would you think it's impossible?

and if we do beating them all, would you think it's then impossible to finish better that 4th?
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby puroresu » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:29 pm

Well let’s see.  For starters they went to Bolton and Sheff Utd like us and got 2 wins.
They have been to Blackburn and won.  We drew v Blackburn at home.

They played us and yes it was at OT but won the game.  They beat Wigan away from home.  That’s no harder than Boro away.

If roles were reversed and Fergie or Mourinho were moaning about fixtures we would call them sore loser's.

Our fixture list wasn’t the easiest however was nowhere as bad as some people think.  it’s no excuse for the lack of away wins, and so many defeats.  Bolton away, Everton away, Boro away, Sheff Utd away were all ore than winnable games.  Yet we didn’t win any.
Hand on heart u would of said at the time we can win these games and would of us expected us to pick up more points.
puroresu

Postby puroresu » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:32 pm

joko wrote:
puroresu wrote:We played Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal and got beat.  T

what u say if we beat manutd, celski, arsenal, bolton and everton in home match? would you think it's impossible?

and if we do beating them all, would you think it's then impossible to finish better that 4th?

It doesnt matter if we still lose away games. 

Also just cos we played these sides away it doesnt mean we should be beaten.  Yeah its harder but it doesnt mean it should be a defeat.

Just like playing them at home doesnt mean an automatic win.  Our record v the top 3 is testament to that
puroresu

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:36 pm

Hand on heart i expected a win at sheffield united and boro and draws at the other two. So i agree that we have started poorly away from home.
What i wont agree with is your assesment of the fixtures against uniteds. I am talking about the key fixtures already played, all of which for us have been away, all for united at home. They have started well and have won most of there games, but the fixture list has helped them alot.

I am certain they will drop plenty of points when they have to go away to the likes of stamford bridge the emirates and anfield.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:45 pm

puroresu wrote:Well let’s see.  For starters they went to Bolton and Sheff Utd like us and got 2 wins.

They played us and yes it was at OT but won the game.  They beat Wigan away from home.  That’s no harder than Boro away.

If roles were reversed and Fergie or Mourinho were moaning about fixtures we would call them sore loser's.

Our fixture list wasn’t the easiest however was nowhere as bad as some people think.  it’s no excuse for the lack of away wins, and so many defeats.  Bolton away, Everton away, Boro away, Sheff Utd away were all ore than winnable games.  Yet we didn’t win any.
Hand on heart u would of said at the time we can win these games and would of us expected us to pick up more points.

You're right to say it's disappointing that we got nothing out of any of those away fixtures, no matter how tough they are.  I have no quarrel with that.  But, it seems to me that we all need to move on from those disappointments rather than dwelling on them.  True, they probably have scuppered a title challenge for this season.  The task now is to regain consistency, significantly improve our away form, build on our home form and get on with the business of securing a CL place and picking up some silverware.  There's still a lot to play for this season, despite what you keep saying.  At the very least, we have an opportunity to let the players gel and build a side that can challenge next season.

It just strikes me that every post you make is a negative comparison to the likes of Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea.  It's not that there's not some truth in what you say, there is--all are currently playing better football than us.  But every post you make seems to be some version of the same moan: we're not good enough and we never will be.  What rankles is that you seem much more excited by the football that other teams are playing than in Liverpool's game.  If that's the case, why do you support Liverpool?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby puroresu » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:18 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
puroresu wrote:Well let’s see.  For starters they went to Bolton and Sheff Utd like us and got 2 wins.

You're right to say it's disappointing that we got nothing out of any of those away fixtures, no matter how tough they are.  I have no quarrel with that.  But, it seems to me that we all need to move on from those disappointments rather than dwelling on them.  True, they probably have scuppered a title challenge for this season.  The task now is to regain consistency, significantly improve our away form, build on our home form and get on with the business of securing a CL place and picking up some silverware.  There's still a lot to play for this season, despite what you keep saying.  At the very least, we have an opportunity to let the players gel and build a side that can challenge next season.

It just strikes me that every post you make is a negative comparison to the likes of Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea.  It's not that there's not some truth in what you say, there is--all are currently playing better football than us.  But every post you make seems to be some version of the same moan: we're not good enough and we never will be.  What rankles is that you seem much more excited by the football that other teams are playing than in Liverpool's game.  If that's the case, why do you support Liverpool?

I dont want to support anyone else.  Yes I think our football at times is shocking yet that doesnt mean I dont support them. At the same time I aint going to blindly defend something which I cant.  I want the league title just as much as anyone else yet just because I think we are not good enough to win it doesnt make me less of a supporter.  I want to see a open expansive attacking style of play yet now know that will never be the case under Rafa as its not his style.  Do I think we can the title playing a more reserved negative style of football.  No?  However that doesnt mean I wont support them or want them to win.
puroresu

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:32 pm

puroresu wrote:I want to see a open expansive attacking style of play yet now know that will never be the case under Rafa as its not his style. 

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:34 pm

sod this mickey mouse league any way, I think we should apply to join the SPL1 and play rangers and celtic etc.:D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:53 pm

I actually felt the same on a few occoasions puroresu.  I wouldnt question who you support but i do wonder why there is the need for quite so much negativity.

You certainly speak a lot of sense at times and you are often right in what you say but some times the negativity is just too much.

The reason i say this is because i generally only see you comment with a negative point of view.  I think everyone would agree that LFC arent where we would like them to be at this stage of the season and to everybodys high expectations we are not perhaps performing to the best of our ability.

I think what a few people are trying to say is that, had the fixtures been in a different order and we hadnt faced so many tough away games (incl. top three) at the start of the season then we maybe we wouldnt have been so far off the front runners.

No one is excusing the fact that we have slipped up against Sheff Utd etc but the fact is we have already lost 9 points in having to play the top three away, plus Bolton and Everton which are no easy places to go.

I completely agree with you that our team should be good enough to take points even from the top three but the fact of the matter is, we havnt and now we need to look forward as a club and move on. 

We have lost five games which is terrible for this stage of the season but if we perform to our high standards for the remainder of the season and the top sides drop points against each other, and hopefully against some other clubs then the stats will look completely different as a whole. 

I do understand where you are coming from mate, all i am trying to say is that you have to take the lows aswell as the highs that come as a LFC supporter.  Theres no point dwelling on stats we cant change, onwards and upwards from here!
mattylfc

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion