Does stevie g deserve to be captain... - Isn't carra the real leader?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:35 am

stu_the_red wrote:
Effes wrote:Ye, I DID say , that he's great as in an "example to the team".

But I think he's too quiet on the pitch - personality wise, not footballing wise.

STU, you have a go at people about not having a footballing arguement and then you post that?
So come on, I know you like to voice your opinion.
Why would you have SG as captain and not Carra?

They're both winners, they're both vocal they're both from Liverpool.

In favour of Carragher he's older.

In favour of Gerrard he's in the area where he can have more of an impact on different types of games and he's a far better player and he's got more experience.

Gerrard's the better choice.

I'm not saying Carragher's a bad choice, but Gerrard is the better of the two.

Agreed, and a good point, there is 2 leaders out there, one in defence one in the middle........if only we had someone up front!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Squigels » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:45 am

as he has said in various interviews the player Gerrard admires most is Roy Keane.

The way your askin Does he deserve to be captain is disrespectful.

he has led your team through thick and thin the good and the bad he has been your best player for years.

All todays captains in the premiership try to makee effots to be Keane like. Terry thinks his staring ahead in the tunnel intimidates opposition players when its a joke it was Keane's trick and only he could pull it off. Gerrard is a known admirer of Keane and i think he looks to the example he set he will be a great captain for you while he doesn't seem involved enough can you question what Liverpool means to him.
Squigels

Postby Rastalovich » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:23 am

All premiership captains wanna look to throw a tantrum and run off to play in Scotland after being shunned. Then throw another tantrum whilst u`r there.

The fan to post a thread as he has is not being disrespectful, it`s posing a question to put up for debate, and has had alot of +ve replies thus. Including comments of how well other players contribute in the team. Such is the existance of a forum.

Every quote u find about some1 saying they admire Keane will 99% of the time be in a pre-match interview b4 thier game vS mancs. It`s called being equally tactful and respectful. It`d be refreshing to see a manc similarly praise players of other clubs, not necessarily Liverpool ones.

Yes Gerrard is too much about the pitch, and has been for a while imo. And strictly IMO, I feel he does it coz he sees players not being `up to scratch` and feels he has to get there himself - which is how I feel he`s wasted. If he was settled in knowing he could stay in a semi-attacking/nothing else to worry about position, his input would be much a`mired.
Bill Shankly: (About the This-is-Anfield plaque)
"This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."
Rastalovich

Postby Squigels » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:52 am

Love your little go at Keane there he last season he had to go to hospital after the Liverpool United game to get Gerrard surgically removed from his pocket despite been 8 years older and not having the legs against the best midfielder in England Pure Class and he showed Viera for what he was a cry baby ponce he was the kinda captain teams dream about. (Best player to grace the premiership? Oh Yeah) The Boy from Cork is a true legend of English football.

To the disdain of Scousers i knew Gerrard has not hidden his amiration for keane 'quoting' he is the player i aspire to most' and even talking of him still been class in a 4-4-2 interview in December. Sorry but thats what your star player said.
Squigels

Postby Rastalovich » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:19 am

Ya Keano`s still class.
Bill Shankly: (About the This-is-Anfield plaque)
"This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."
Rastalovich

Postby redmikey » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:08 am

good job a newbie didn't post this or he would have got hung draw and quartered .

cr@p thread .

:censored: kissing replies by some long time people on here

close it down :angry:
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby ulswater » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:14 am

I think Steve G's been a little quite the last few games (compared to his usual high standards) but he is still the only choice for captain. I can't belive how knee-jerky fans can be sometimes.
ulswater

Postby Scottbot » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:08 pm

gerrard wasn't Captain material last season. His head (as he said himself) was all over the place, his form was up and down, he was pretty negative in the media and was often seen chastising his teamates.

This season he's been excellent for me. He's not the most vocal and neither is he dumb enough to get involved in every scrap and spat out on the pitch (although i can remember him having more than a few words with Shearer back in December) but he leads by example as a few have already stated. He deals with the MASSIVE responsibility of being the club's best and most important player (in the eyes of management, media and the fans) and has become a figure-head for Liverpool FC in much the same way as Alan shearer at Newcastle.

Carra is Red to the bone and you get the impression he would lay in traffic for the club. He shouts, balls and organises those around him and we're very lucky to have him, to have them both.

Deffo too much Stella for Effes though. We're having a cracking season (a few on here would do well to remember that) and you don't take the arm-band off of your Captain unless the team are having an absolute mare. Especially if it's from a high profile player like Stevie who must have generated more column inches in our shi.tty tabloid press than any other player this past year.

Just look at the England situation. The press are always pressurising Erickson to relieve Beckham of the Captain's armband. If Svennis actually relented and gave the armband to someone else the media would go crazy. there would be a whirlwind of hype and bollox that would cause problems that would far outweigh any benefits of switching captain.

I imagine Steven Gerrard will be Liverpool for as long as he remains a Liverpool player and that's fine by me.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:45 pm

anyone who doesn't think gerrard should be captain should just watch the second half of the champions league final.

i've been a critic of gerrard in the past (mainly due to his contract disputes, poor body language and inconsistent performances) but this season he's upped his level notoriously and deserves to be captain without a doubt.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Effes » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:58 pm

Whoever started this thread must have been drunk!!
:D :p :D
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:00 pm

mark the red wrote:and before you lot start, im not a bluenose,

I'm sure I've heard you say that before in another life.......
jonnymac1979

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion