Do you believe yet ? - Can we win the league this season?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Do you believe yet ? - Can we win the league this season?

Yes i do
46%
No i don't
7%
Yes i do , but i'm to scared to say incase i jinx it
21%
Give it a bit more time yet and i'll get back to you
26%

Total votes : 96

Postby Rafa D » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:22 pm

At the start of the season. I didn't think we had a chance. The summer signings didn't exactly fill me with confidence. I was very gutted we lost Crouch, and I still believe if we had him now there would be a lot of daylight between us and the rest. Riera was a nice addition and even though we bought Keane, I thought we were far too short in the striking department - my main concern was how we could cope if Torres got injured? It seems my main fear was unfounded, as I don't think we have seen anything of Torres capability this season.

The fact we have gone over the Christmas period with 6 points and 8 goals is fantastic for us.

Yesterdays results were fantastic.  Chelsea dropped points again, and we finally built up a mini lead over them. Only 3 points, however I think Chelsea will continue to drop points over the next few months. They seem to have trouble scoring(like us) however they are a lot less secure at the back than us. They are missing Carvalho and Essien however Scorlari's style of play means even with them, they are still sceptible. And if you look at the matches they have left - Villa away, United away, Arsenal away, and US AWAY. They definetly have the hardest set of fixtures and coupled with the fact they don't actually look that good, I expect us to continue to pull away from them.

The very real danger is Man United. 10 points behind, but with 3 games in hand, means they can close to within a point if they win them. IF. Also the fact we all have to go there - Arsenal-Chelsea-Villa-Liverpool. However just because they are at home DOESN'T mean they will win them. United play football against Arsenal, and Arsenal ARE the best footballers, I don't hold much hope for us up there, but with the results this season, you never know.

Chelsea play United in 2 games time, the weekend  we play Everton. If we can win our next 3 games against STOKE (A), EVERTON (H) and  WIGAN (A), and United drop points against Chelsea, I will feel A LOT more confident.

Another thing to consider is that although we are being told United play better in the second half of the season. We also do a lot better in the second half. Last year we were 7th in the league in Jan, we finished 4th. Since Rafa has been here, its our first half that always lets us down and normally in the second half we string championship winning runs together but we are never close enough in Jan. Food for thought.

Plus if Torres comes back and finds the form of last year, and Keane continues to show his true form, then whisper it quietly, but its a very real possibility we win be crowned champions in may.

Champions.

Imagine that.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:57 pm

don't wanna jinx it, but we are gaining more credibility as actual contenders which is good to see.

each game at a time as they say. the last two we have been looking brilliant....
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby milou » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:At the start of the season. I didn't think we had a chance. The summer signings didn't exactly fill me with confidence. I was very gutted we lost Crouch, and I still believe if we had him now there would be a lot of daylight between us and the rest. Riera was a nice addition and even though we bought Keane, I thought we were far too short in the striking department - my main concern was how we could cope if Torres got injured? It seems my main fear was unfounded, as I don't think we have seen anything of Torres capability this season.

The fact we have gone over the Christmas period with 6 points and 8 goals is fantastic for us.

Yesterdays results were fantastic.  Chelsea dropped points again, and we finally built up a mini lead over them. Only 3 points, however I think Chelsea will continue to drop points over the next few months. They seem to have trouble scoring(like us) however they are a lot less secure at the back than us. They are missing Carvalho and Essien however Scorlari's style of play means even with them, they are still sceptible. And if you look at the matches they have left - Villa away, United away, Arsenal away, and US AWAY. They definetly have the hardest set of fixtures and coupled with the fact they don't actually look that good, I expect us to continue to pull away from them.

The very real danger is Man United. 10 points behind, but with 3 games in hand, means they can close to within a point if they win them. IF. Also the fact we all have to go there - Arsenal-Chelsea-Villa-Liverpool. However just because they are at home DOESN'T mean they will win them. United play football against Arsenal, and Arsenal ARE the best footballers, I don't hold much hope for us up there, but with the results this season, you never know.

Chelsea play United in 2 games time, the weekend  we play Everton. If we can win our next 3 games against STOKE (A), EVERTON (H) and  WIGAN (A), and United drop points against Chelsea, I will feel A LOT more confident.

Another thing to consider is that although we are being told United play better in the second half of the season. We also do a lot better in the second half. Last year we were 7th in the league in Jan, we finished 4th. Since Rafa has been here, its our first half that always lets us down and normally in the second half we string championship winning runs together but we are never close enough in Jan. Food for thought.

Plus if Torres comes back and finds the form of last year, and Keane continues to show his true form, then whisper it quietly, but its a very real possibility we win be crowned champions in may.

Champions.

Imagine that.

Good post.

We have had so many false dawns before... many of us actually stopped believing, fans and players alike.

We do normally play better in the second half of the season... but I hope it wasn't down to the fact that bcos we normally had nothing much to pay for in the league (and therefore more relaxed to play football).

I think it is mental strength that we most need... a virtue that all great champions have. Those who believe and dig deep within themselves (even in the most dire situation) will often be rewarded. Hence the great old cliche "Fortune favors the Brave". You could see this phenomenon everywhere, be it in football, tennis, F1, rugby, cycling, golf or other sports.

So I hope our players will hold their nerves and keep grinding out results. The first one is always most difficult, just like how we got back to our very best in UCL after 2005.. Just see how everyone fears us now.

This has so far been a "strange" & lucky season... that sees us heading BPL table going into 2009 despite our STRINGS of draws. I don't remember when was the last time ALL our rivals (esp manu and chelsea) failing so miserably to pounce on our mishaps. I also don't remember when was the last time (or whether it had happened before at all) that all big fours draw in the same weekend.. TWICE!

Keep the faith!  :buttrock
milou

Postby zarababe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:16 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
s@int wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:I said yes as ive been saying since the start of the season.

Don't want you changing the habits of a lifetime, Nanny ...... the girl that likes to say yes  :D

:laugh:

Do you know what though Saint me bottles gone now , Its strange though because iv been reading Brian Reades book an when we were winning all them titles back in the 70s an eighties he hit the nail on the head for me when he said it became a bit boring :laugh: beating teams like Leeds ,Derby, QPR, AN Leicster not forgetting Forest. i know it sounds mad but he was right, we were made up of course we were but it became monotonos, we expected it , we knew were were gonna win it. Thats why for me this season im getting a buzz because i know we are closer than weve been in a long long time.

An ill be gutted an devastated if we dont win it, The players an the manager are in place for us to do it :nod

By the way Saint get that book its brilliant were all around the same age an it takes me back to some of the trips an the things i done. An you must of done an all

:D

Ladeez intuition - I've said we can win it from the begiining too and am trying to convert the many sceptics on here - yeh on here ffs  :no

I've believed since the miracle of Istanbul on what Rafa can lead us too .. in time :nod
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:20 pm

I don't want to jinx it but I believe if there's a year to win it this is the one, Chelsea are dropping silly points now and hopefully we can keep winning and make the gap between us and them even bigger.

The Mancs have gams in hand but they have to win them first, though I still fear them more than the Chavs, we just have to take it a game at a time and see what happens.

If we can make it through January without dropping any points then we are well on our way :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:47 pm

J*o*n*D*o*e wrote:after todays result you have to believe but there is always that little bit of doubt that the three home draws in a row might come back to haunt us.

lets also not forget come january we already have a new player so to speak and without spending a penny, a certain Mr Torres

gone for 1 but so easily could of gone for 3

I cant understand it when people say that.

We are top now, so the only thing that will stop us winning the league is our results from here on in.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:52 pm

We know that Leon but what jondoe was saying is we have fecked up results still when we could have had a big cushion and it could come back to haunt us. If Utd win their games in hand they will be only a point behind us and we still have to go to Old Trafford.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:02 pm

bavlondon wrote:We know that Leon but what jondoe was saying is we have fecked up results still when we could have had a big cushion and it could come back to haunt us. If Utd win their games in hand they will be only a point behind us and we still have to go to Old Trafford.

so its in our hands ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:09 pm

I believe it every year till its mathematically impossible

And as the MC says its in our hands,  quite simple really we win games we win the league

I saw Biscan and Traore with the champions league trophy and people doubt when we are top of the league :laugh:  :laugh:
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:We know that Leon but what jondoe was saying is we have fecked up results still when we could have had a big cushion and it could come back to haunt us. If Utd win their games in hand they will be only a point behind us and we still have to go to Old Trafford.

so its in our hands ?

Yes its in our hands but it could have been better than now if we hadnt dropped those points. I know its hard to think negative when you are top of the table but it's only the halfway stage. I think we can keep it going and win it ONLY if all our main players stay injury free for the rest of the season.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:32 pm

Fukk - was just typing about Boro holding out for 20 more minutes and Man U go and score.
Last edited by Effes on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Fecking :censored: Berbatov. I really hope Chelsea can hold them to a draw when they go there next week.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:41 pm

not really much of a disaster tho, we all probably expected them to win tonight. They have to play Chelsea next week, dunno about you lot but I actually want Chelsea to beat them
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:49 pm

Spain won something in summer, and I thought that was impossible.

A winning team winning the league again is much more likely. Yes I do. No it won't be easy.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:55 am

We go to Manc land and beat them, we beat the Chavs at Anfield and we play out of our skin against every team from here on in. Torres is still to come back...

Maybe just maybe its time for us to sort the prem out.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion