Do you believe yet ? - Can we win the league this season?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Do you believe yet ? - Can we win the league this season?

Yes i do
46%
No i don't
7%
Yes i do , but i'm to scared to say incase i jinx it
21%
Give it a bit more time yet and i'll get back to you
26%

Total votes : 96

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:35 pm

s@int wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:I said yes as ive been saying since the start of the season.

Don't want you changing the habits of a lifetime, Nanny ...... the girl that likes to say yes  :D

:laugh:

Do you know what though Saint me bottles gone now , Its strange though because iv been reading Brian Reades book an when we were winning all them titles back in the 70s an eighties he hit the nail on the head for me when he said it became a bit boring :laugh: beating teams like Leeds ,Derby, QPR, AN Leicster not forgetting Forest. i know it sounds mad but he was right, we were made up of course we were but it became monotonos, we expected it , we knew were were gonna win it. Thats why for me this season im getting a buzz because i know we are closer than weve been in a long long time.

An ill be gutted an devastated if we dont win it, The players an the manager are in place for us to do it :nod

By the way Saint get that book its brilliant were all around the same age an it takes me back to some of the trips an the things i done. An you must of done an all
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:53 pm

Hell yeah we can. I firmly believe we could do it this year. This is the best chance we have and we cant blow it. If we get back a fit goal hungry torres i think we will win if for defos. There is still a minute are of doubt because the way we could drop points at times is annoying and doesnt help at all. I think by early march we will get a good picture of whats happening. At the moment enjoy being top!!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:17 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
s@int wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:I said yes as ive been saying since the start of the season.

Don't want you changing the habits of a lifetime, Nanny ...... the girl that likes to say yes  :D

:laugh:

Do you know what though Saint me bottles gone now , Its strange though because iv been reading Brian Reades book an when we were winning all them titles back in the 70s an eighties he hit the nail on the head for me when he said it became a bit boring :laugh: beating teams like Leeds ,Derby, QPR, AN Leicster not forgetting Forest. i know it sounds mad but he was right, we were made up of course we were but it became monotonos, we expected it , we knew were were gonna win it. Thats why for me this season im getting a buzz because i know we are closer than weve been in a long long time.

An ill be gutted an devastated if we dont win it, The players an the manager are in place for us to do it :nod

By the way Saint get that book its brilliant were all around the same age an it takes me back to some of the trips an the things i done. An you must of done an all

I will be getting it Nanny, I was hoping Father Christmas might have brought it me but no such luck.

I know what you mean, but I still believe with the teams we had in the eighties we should have won more (greedy). I think it will feel more like the first time if we win it this season, its been so long since we last won it. For most of the people on here it WILL be the first time    :D
account deleted by request

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:43 pm

Not sure yet, so I voted the last option, I'm being patient, I just want to see how it goes in 2009.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:16 am

Yes... we can.... like S@int, bigmick and scott though... I think that there are a few factors that can become stumbling blocks.

Lack of ruthlessness to go for the win against the "weaker" teams.
Selectorial silliness.
The lack of experience in leading the pack and possibly bottling it when it really matters towards the end of the season if we've not built up enough of a lead by then.

To be honest, I'm not too concerned about the mancs as I feel that they're not quite the team they were last season and the World Club Championship did them no favours.

The balls in our court and we've already gotten 7 points out of a possible 9 against the other 3 contenders which shows we can finally match it with the big boys.

I believe.
ConnO'var

Postby Raffmaker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:25 am

OK folks...pay attention!

Here's where I come out:

Rafa will not buy anyone I'm pretty sure in January. With the imminent return of Torres and Keane costing 20m in installments, I very much doubt Michael Owen is going to return, or even better Robinho! A striker is the only thing we possibly need, but although Our strikers this season have yet to perform consistently, playin Stevie in the free role and Alonso, Masch is just as good.

Look, we may have drawn a few, but one thing I have noticed from the play this season is, we look a hard side to beat! midfield, defence we are rock solid! have only lost once against a kaka side, and the only team i think we get beat by in the new year run in possibly is Utd at Old Trafford.

Next fixtures: Stoke (a), Everton (H), Wigan (a) Chelsea (H).

The only game Im worried about there is Stoke away! we should get 9 points at least, plus Chelsea have to play Man Utd before us. There seems to be a confidence brewing amonst the players.

Normally in previous seasons, we are 10-15 points behind by now, however frustrating this is. we normally have a great run. in.

The only one thing that worries me is, and probably some of you knowledgable chaps ..........Utd and Chelsea have been playing very poorly up until now, and when the likes of Man Utd have won the title in the past they have nowmally been thumping teams like west ham, fulham, blackburn at home 4-0 and 5-0 etc. I hope when they hit form, we do not struggle and fall behind.

we have struggled really badly at home, and I hope this does not cost us ultimately come may.

However, we are sat on top still, and if Torres comes back fresh, firing and blazing till may then, he will give us the Ace card. Also his missus is gorgeous! lol.

ha :p
Last edited by Raffmaker on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raffmaker

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:05 am

We need to proceed one game at a time and not get too excited.

I'd feel a lot better if we were ten points ahead of Man U with them on equal games played with us
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:55 am

On a side note, Manhatten it's lovely to see you back. You've been sorely missed.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:46 am

I believe.

The team has proven this season time and again that it can win without our key strikers and win at critical moments also.

We will be there towards the end, whether we win it is a separate question.

But I believe in this team :)
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:52 am

bigmick wrote:On a side note, Manhatten it's lovely to see you back. You've been sorely missed.

Like finding an old sock that's been missing for ages :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:00 am

Number 9 wrote:I voted yes but im scared to say incase i jinx it! :blush:

Same here mate.
Since Torres got injured ive been saying the same thing, if we are still on top when he comes back or even within a point or two we have a great chance and I obviously stick by that.
You have to back us to do better with him than we have without him and when you consider we've only the mancs to play away having already played chelsea, arsenal, bitters, man city, villa,spurs and now newcastle away which are all games you would you would look at as potential banana skins is great for our second half of the season. Like I say with a fit Torres there is no reason why we cant have a stronger second half of the season than the first, add to that the fact we always have our season bliip around october/november (this season no different ) before getting it together in the new year, stay true to our form and we've got a great chance.
Fk it ive talked myself round, i'm now officially (and out loud) backing us for the title.  :)
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:03 am

bigmick wrote:On a side note, Manhatten it's lovely to see you back. You've been sorely missed.

Seconded, place hasnt been the same.  :)
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby radun5 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:19 am

Scottbot wrote:

Like finding an old sock that's been missing for ages :D

Except for the foul smell  :laugh:
radun5

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:08 am

Number 9 wrote:I voted yes but im scared to say incase i jinx it! :blush:

I'm scared to vote that in case I jinx it!  :D

Can we win it? Yes
Will we win it? Too early to be (over)confident

Remaining Fixtures (And Corresponding 07/08 Results)

Stoke (a) N/A
Bitters (h) W1-0
Wigan (a) W1-0
Chelsea (h) D1-1
Portsmouth (a) D0-0
Man City (h) W1-0
Middlesbro (a) D1-1
Sunderland (h) W3-0
Man Utd (a) L0-3
Aston Villa (h) D2-2
Fulham (a) W2-0
Blackburn (h) W3-1
Arsenal (h) D1-1
Hull (a) N/A
Newcastle (h) W3-0
West Ham (a) L0-1
West Brom (a) N/A
Tottenham (h) D2-2

P15 W7 D6 L2 F21 A12 PTS 27

That would leave us on 69 points with three fixtures that don't have corresponding results from 07/08 to add/play. It was around games 19-25 last season that we really lost any hope of a title bid with P7 W1 D5 L1 PTS 8 - the defeats away to Reading and at home to Man Utd weren't nearly as costly as that little spell - we finished 11 points behind the mancs, we dropped 13 points in that seven game spell. Five games without a win at the start of it came against Man City, Wigan, Boro, Villa and West Ham - teams we need to be beating if we are serious title contenders.

Ask me again after the away game at old trafford. By then we'll be just nine games from home, only Arsenal at home of the 'big four' to play and we'll know IF we're still top and, if so, by how many points. We're now only three points clear, ONE point if the mancs win their games in hand, and that with a trip to old trafford to come. That game could decide the title.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Scottbot wrote:
bigmick wrote:I believe we have an excellent chance of winning it, but I suspect through a little bit of over exuberance in the styling department, and a reluctance to go for broke when games are locked up, we will finish just a tad adrift of the Mancs (about 3 or 4 points). That in itself though will be a fantastic effort, and next year if we are further illuminated, we can build on this years achievements.

What he said...

:nod
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion