Djimi traore... - What am i missing?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:47 pm

For a few years i always felt Djimi had the potential to develop into a decent player. I remember Souness wanted to pay 3 mill (or so) for him 4/5 seasons ago and at the time i was pleased the deal never materialised. Despire making some improvements to his game i don't believe he will ever become a player you can rely on.

The lad is never a full-back (despite his pace) and you feel his terrible distribution and discomfort with the ball at feet might be less if he played centre-half (just look at Cara.) He certainly looks like a centre-half but doesn't head the ball so well and doesn't read the game.

I'm ok using the lad as a squad player but i'm worried that Rafa sees him as 1st choice ahead of Warnock.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolrich » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:50 pm

he is a really good player hes playing out of position u no
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby Garymac » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:25 pm

bigmick wrote:I think Traore's OK. He's got pace, can tackle, head and is difficult to get past. I think he will one day make a good centre-half, though I am fully aware that I'm in the significant minority. At the moment, he would be my first choice left-back infront of Warnock.

one day he will make a good center half??? Hes 25 for christ sake, check out the reserve side Miki Roque, Jack Hobbs and zak Whitbread are the players we are looking for to one day make good center halfs cos there youngsters, if hes not good enough now he never will be, plus Rafa never ever sees him as a center half, hence him bringing young ones in and looking for a new one, Traore aint good enough in my opinion wherever he plays.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby JohnBull » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:34 pm

The lad's improvement under Raffa has been remarkable and at least he plays his heart out which is more than can be said for some of the others.
I cannot see any real alternative to him and no one affordable who would be an improvement.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:39 pm

Garymac wrote:One day he will make a good center half??? Hes 25 for christ sake, check out the reserve side Miki Roque, Jack Hobbs and zak Whitbread are the players we are looking for to one day make good center halfs cos there youngsters, if hes not good enough now he never will be. Traore aint good enough in my opinion wherever he plays.

He may be 25 but he wouldn't be the first guy we've had who has looked far from a world beater at left back but has then gone on to become a top-class centre-half. Centre-halves very often mature later on as their ability to read the game improves so once again Djimi wouldn't be the first.
As to where Rafa sees him playing, that's debateable also. We know only that he decided not to sell him to Everton and that he gave Traore a four year contract so clearly he figures in Rafa's plans in some capacity or other.
I did say in my posts on the subject that my beliefs are based largely on a hunch. That hunch tells me when I look at him that he is a centre-half playing at left-back. I've been wrong before but I've been right once or twice too and I think I've got a chance of calling this one correctly. Please bare in mind I'm not suggesting we've got a black Franz Beckenbauer on our hands. I'm suggesting he may become a good, pacy, stopper centre-half with limpet like man marking qualities.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:29 pm

stu_the_red wrote:I don't believe he's good enough for the squad though. Thats my point.

Himself and Cisse aren't upto it.

Reina, Dudek, Kirkland, Carson. Nothing wrong with that. 2 decent keepers in Reina and Dudek and decent enough backup in Carson.

Finnan and Josemi. Josemi can do a job for the odd game.

Carragher and Hyypia. I worry if ones injured long term, but Whitbread could fill in in the odd match.

Warnock and Riise. Sound. Wouldn't touch it.

Right midfield NEEDS addressing.

Riise, Zenden and Luis Garcia. we can live with that.

Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko and Hamann. Probably the best four in europe, certainly not far off.

Crouch, Morientes, Sinama-Pongolle, Luis Garcia. Great mix with good abilities. I wouldn't tinker with that to much.

Cisse, Traore to be sold. Kewell given one last chance because i'm a :censored: idiotic mug even though i KNOW he'll NEVER come good.

If we're going to talk about Whitbread then let's talk about
Barragan and Hobbs who imo have bright futures. Barragan has started well for the reserves and I think it's a matter of time before he breaks into the first team. He will add more cover to the right-back position.

Hobbs is the CB Arsenal wanted but we managed to beat them and though he's only 17 I think he along with the rest of the youngsters should be given a run in the Carling Cup.
Last edited by A.B. on Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby teamleader1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:55 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Under Rafa Traore is improving all the time and should be given more time to do that.
Alonso over hyped ,Finnan doesnt do anything and now Traore whos next ?

Differrence here is the fact that Traore just dosnte have the footballing brain of the others- hes constantly allowing wide players acres of room by drifting infield to pick up or tackle fresh air- his last ditch tackles are more often than not face savers for himself
He can be very good but he can also be very very poor and sadly he shows the latter a lot more often

Squad player at best for me - way behind risse and warnock,
I dont really see the improvement in him under Rafa, hes still making to many basic mistakes that only bring confusion and pressure to the back line

Nice lad good attitude but IMO he just hasnte got it
teamleader1

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:02 pm

A.B. wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:I don't believe he's good enough for the squad though. Thats my point.

Himself and Cisse aren't upto it.

Reina, Dudek, Kirkland, Carson. Nothing wrong with that. 2 decent keepers in Reina and Dudek and decent enough backup in Carson.

Finnan and Josemi. Josemi can do a job for the odd game.

Carragher and Hyypia. I worry if ones injured long term, but Whitbread could fill in in the odd match.

Warnock and Riise. Sound. Wouldn't touch it.

Right midfield NEEDS addressing.

Riise, Zenden and Luis Garcia. we can live with that.

Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko and Hamann. Probably the best four in europe, certainly not far off.

Crouch, Morientes, Sinama-Pongolle, Luis Garcia. Great mix with good abilities. I wouldn't tinker with that to much.

Cisse, Traore to be sold. Kewell given one last chance because i'm a :censored: idiotic mug even though i KNOW he'll NEVER come good.

If we're going to talk about Whitbread then let's talk about
Barragan and Hobbs who imo have bright futures. Barragan has started well for the reserves and I think it's a matter of time before he breaks into the first team. He will add more cover to the right-back position.

Hobbs is the CB Arsenal wanted but we managed to beat them and though he's only 17 I think he along with the rest of the youngsters should be given a run in the Carling Cup.

Bit of a silly thing to say to be honest. We have all seen Whitbread play, and in the first team.

I may be mistaken, but have you actually seen Barragan and Hobbs play?

I am a bit surprised that Troare was kept, and even more surprised that he was given a long term contract. Warnock is looking better and better and is cutting out those silly challages that are dangerous to both the opponent and himself. The main thing he lacks is the experince at this highest level, and there is only one way he can get that, for me Warnock should be the first team left back.

One of the reasons that Troare was probarbly kept, is the fact that he can also cover at centre back, and he dosent seem to sound of too the media. It seems as though Rafa doesnt rate Riise as a left back due to his vulrability defensive wise.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby polygemus » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:37 pm

Barragan and Hobbs who imo have bright futures. Barragan has started well for the reserves and I think it's a matter of time before he breaks into the first team. He will add more cover to the right-back position

I agree. But our youngsters are not being pushed to first team fast enough. Many are certainly old enough for first team action. Rooney debutted at 16+ at Everton. Francesc Fabregas at Arsenal at 17+. Ashley Cole at Arsenal at 19+. Gael Clichy at Arsenal at 19+. James Millner at Leeds at 16+.

Anyway I still remember the number one own goal of all time scored by Traore in a cup game last season. So if it's possible he should be used sparingly as a squad player.
polygemus

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:08 pm

bigmick wrote:I think Traore's OK. He's got pace, can tackle, head and is difficult to get past. I think he will one day make a good centre-half, though I am fully aware that I'm in the significant minority. At the moment, he would be my first choice left-back infront of Warnock.

i cant see why you think Traore would be a better choice at left back than warnock. Warnock looks a real prospect who has a good range of abilities, good tackle, pass, agression and decenct shot on him aswell. As far as i can see traore only has good pace and an excellent last ditch tackle, but his passing and touch are of a very low standard.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ry_math » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:27 pm

iv never rated him he reminds me too much of carlton palmer
ry_math

Postby JBG » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:33 pm

Traore isn't as bad as he looks.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:39 am

JBG wrote:Traore isn't as bad as he looks.

You're right there Klink , he's worse than that ! 

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:44 am

Don't even get me started on yesterday. He cost us the game.
115-1073096938

Postby Scottbot » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:49 am

stu_the_red wrote:Don't even get me started on yesterday. He cost us the game.

He had a stinker Stu but i don't think you can put all the blame on Traore. Saying that, i'm hoping he has played himself out of contention or tweaked a hammy if we're lucky!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion