Djibril cisse - What a massive season for him

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:57 pm

Whilst watching the match last night (I couldn't make it because I had to go to my brother's graduation) :angry: , i have to say that I was quite overwhelmed by the response that Djibril Cisse got when he was ready to come on as a substitute. Ok, he's rightfully already a crowd favourite, mainly due to his will power to come back from what was a near career threatening injury at Blackburn last season (are you watching Harry Kewell?). Add this to his fantastic attitude and zest for life off the pitch, and his rather eccentric haircuts, and you've got a great character who could be a legend at this club for years to come. I'll never forget the way he danced around the Champions League trophy in Istanbul. The way he celebrated his penalty in the shootout, or the way he was literally at the forefront of the trophy tour around Liverpool conducting the crowd almost.

However this made me think. The past is gone and it's time to look forward. This season is an absolutely massive one for Djibril Cisse's career, both at club and international level. With the World Cup next summer (providing France qualify), he'll know that he needs to be playing regularly over the next 8-9 months to force his way into the French starting lineup in Germany. If this happens, it will be a remarkable recovery for a guy who was told that his leg might have to be amputated last year. The site of him even playing again last season was a miracle, let alone scoring twice on the last day against Aston Villa and then scoring a vital penalty in the shootout in Istanbul.

To be honest it was never going to be easy for him anyway. When you arrive at a club with a £14m price tag hanging over your head, things can never be easy. For that sort of money, fans expect extraordinary things from a striker. To this day, I still think that the price tag was too high for a player who was untested in one of the top European League's at the time. But when you consider that it was Houllier, not Rafa who brought him to the club, I suppose you just have to be grateful. I personally don't think that Rafa would have signed Djibril in a million years but of course he had no choice.

At the time, everyone (myself included) were relishing the thought of Owen and Cisse playing together upfront. I thought that would have been a devastating partnership but of course we all know what happened next. Djibril's debut Premiership goal against Spurs was a good way to start but over the next few months he never really convinced, and fans today are still asking questions about whether he can do it consistently in this League.

Personally, this doesn't just apply to Djibril. I think this question applies to all our strikers. Morientes is still adapting to the English game, Baros continually flatters to deceive, and Cisse himself is still finding his feet again. With the right service I think Cisse could be devastating but I'm still not convinced if Rafa rates him or not. It's obvious that Morientes is Rafa's favourite and will probably end up playing just off a lone striker this season. Who that is I don't really know but if it was up to me, Cisse would get the nod over Baros every time. Hell there has even been talk of using Cisse as a right winger due to his blistering pace. No thanks. Despite his pace, he's wasted out there. We don't want another Diouf situation now do we? We've already seen enough square pegs in round holes to last a lifetime

So all in all, I'm looking forward to seeing Cisse play on a more regular basis this season. He seems like a player who will excite the Anfield crowds week in week out. He blatantly loves the club so I just hope he gets his chance, sooner rather than later. Atr this moment in time, blowing all our remaining budget on a striker, when we blatantly need a new centre back, would be a bit daft.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:24 pm

Good post, Cisse will always be a real favourite after what happened last season, the way he battled back and the determination and pride he has shown to play for us shows what the mans all about.
He clearly loves being at Liverpool, and loves the fans.
I hope he is played as a striker next season as well.
I agree he isn't the finished article, but given the managers trust i'm sure he would develop into a prolific premiership goalscorer.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cptrios » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:25 pm

I agree totally man. Few things (aside from a treble, of course) could make me happier this season than Cissé having a fantastic year. Even if he doesn't score a million goals, continuing to show the heart and enthusiasm he's had since coming back from his injury will be enough to make me want him to stay at the club for years to come.
cptrios

Postby Judge » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:31 pm

it will be great to have him fit for a full season. he was Frances best goal getter the year before he came to LFC.

he has blistering pace and skill. His sharpness needs a little refining, but that will come with regular training and games, couple that with the goals i feel he will score (and he will score spectacular net busters), then we will have one of the best buys in years.

great post stmike
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:34 pm

Yep good post StMick, and you have basically elaborated (not saying from me directly of course :p ) on what i was saying in another post.
I am not too sure if Rafa is fully convinced yet, and as i said in my other post i dont think our style of play suits the way he plays best.
Wingers n both flanks, stretching the game and creating gaps between the full backs and centre backs for him to run into, is the way to get the best from him (IMO).
It just seems to me, that we still play too narrow (Zenden will change this by the looks of things) and there never seems to be enough space in behind the defence for Djib to exploit.

But have to agree this is gonna be a big season for Djib for a number of reasons:

-Will he be a regular starter?
-Will he be a regular scorer?
-If he doesnt start as often as he likes, will he begin to complain?
-Is he going to be utilised on the right wing often?

As the season goes on i can possibly see more questions being added to that list than answers.
I just hope he comes good becasue you can see e loves playing for LFC and badly wants to be a legend (though he is half way there after last seasons injury and recovery).
76-1115222408

Postby Red_Rob » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:03 pm

The Morientes/Cisse partnership has the potential to be an excellent one and I hope it's given the chance. With the midfield looking strong my main concerns for Liverpool is up front rather than what some others say- in defence . I am sure the defence will be strengthened in the coming weeks so not too concerened about that.

The attack however I am worried about as the jury is still out in regards to Cisse's technical ability and I feel he looks more like an athlete than a footballer at times. He can improve greatly though as he young and willing and i hope he is given the chance to next season.

There is no doubt that Morientes is world class but there has been no evidence that he has adapted to the pace of the prem yet. As people have mentioned we badly need a good season from him.

Again, already mentioned is Baros' ability to flatter to decieve and he can't complain he wasn't given the chance any more after last season. We may see a better Baros next season if he has to fight for a place more often.

Rafa liked to use a big man in John Carew at Valencia to good effect so i guess that is why he is interested in Crouch. I am not sure about this one tbh.

If they all have good seasons then there will be no problems as on paper they are very good players but on last season's form we will have issues.
Red_Rob

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:06 pm

Despite Cisse's pace, i worry he would be wasted on the right wing. Rafa seem to place him there a couple of times but though he has looked sharp, crossing isn't his talent. Hope it won't turn out to be another Diouf situation..
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:06 pm

Like others really hoping he takes the league by storm though before his injury there will still alot of questions marks and the 14 million pound fee was bit of milestone around his neck (but that aint his fault he was bought during a fairly inflated period )
His injury may end up being a blessing in disguise because determination and grit he showed to make a miracle comeback must have surely strengthed his character. Also a lot of fan pressure should be off him
Let hope he smacks them in from all over the place
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:26 pm

laza wrote:Like others really hoping he takes the league by storm though before his injury there will still alot of questions marks and the 14 million pound fee was bit of milestone around his neck (but that aint his fault he was bought during a fairly inflated period )
His injury may end up being a blessing in disguise because determination and grit he showed to make a miracle comeback must have surely strengthed his character. Also a lot of fan pressure should be off him
Let hope he smacks them in from all over the place

aye laza and at 120 mph would be nice n all

come on cisse  :bowdown
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Rafa signed him not GH, remember Cisse saying he mightn't come if GH was sacked, he was and he came anyway. Rafa's buy.

I don't see £14m a good buy for "potential", he's quick but so is Linford Christie. I don't see a first touch or a good brain. Hopefully he can become another Thierri Henri (set the bar high or what). I HATE seeing him out on the wing trying to get in a cross, we didn't pay £14m for that. I said in another thread that he reminds me of collymore (style of play not :censored: attitude) which is worrying

All our strikers have potential but I don't see anyone who I can say "he'll score 20 league goals" the way we could with Fowler and then Owen.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:06 pm

i think cisse will have a good season. reckin he'll score at least 15 goals.
he is still young and has great pace. but cant see him turning out to be thierry henry 2.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:24 pm

I think its obvious that cisse was not worth 14mil at the time he was bought.  He may be a great player one day but at the moment he is a good (if inconsistent) player who has undoubted potential.

Blistering pace (even still despite the leg break) and power are his main assets.  He has a powerful shot, but I wouldn't call him a clinical finisher.  He is very direct which can be an asset at times but a hindrance at others.  He is effective at making runs into channels, which at the moment doesn't seem to be our style of play, but with better use of wingers next season we might see more of this.

Basically Cisse is far from the finished article.  I love his attitude and his achievements last season were nothing short of remarkable, but there are a lot of flaws in his game that need ironing out.  Hopefully Rafa can help him flourish, but I fear that if he has a poor season then he may find himself out of Rafa's plans.  He wasn't Rafa's buy and I don't think Rafa would have spent 14mil on him to be honest.

I see Cisse getting no more than 15 goals this season, but hopefully he'll prove me wrong as he deserves a bit of luck
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:25 pm

why do people say he wasn't rafa's buy.

LFC were not obliged to buy him when GH sacked.

Rafa's responsible for him.

End of story.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:27 pm

i'm not knocking him but there were loads of notes on this site with clips of his goals saying how great he is and how he'll set us alight.

I don't think so.

Hopefully he'll be ok but don't see any greatness there.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:38 pm

What impresses me about Cisse is his confidence.  The guy seems full of the stuff!  Did anyone see his Pen in The Final?  The guy was cool as ice.  :nod

I like cisse, he's fast, a team player and can knock them in.  I expect this to be Cisse's big season.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion