Dirk kuyt - A discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby benf » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:48 pm

put him behind torres like gerrard sometimes does, Kuyt is a smart player
benf

Postby benf » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:50 pm

Scottbot wrote:Since the Torres deal was finalised a lot of posters are predicting big things for Kuyt next season. Most are assuming his role within the team will change, that he'll spend a lot more time in the box, Torres will load a lot of the bullets and that we will see something of goal poacher this time around but i can't quite see it myself. I'm expecting a better player but not the big transformation that many have predicted.

I'm a fan of Kuyt but i'm not so sure the role he played last year was entirely down to him acting on orders from Benitez. I would defo like to see him playing further up the pitch and he needs to spend more time in the penalty box but i would argue that we saw him play his natural game (or thereabouts) last year. I say that because most players (even if they have been under strict instructions) revert to their natural game during patches of just about every game. Put someone like Luis Garcia or Stevie Gerrard out on the wing and they will invariably drift inside where they are most comfortable. Ask Michael Owen to play as a withdrawn striker and he will no doubt end up playing on the shoulder and the first into the penalty box on several occasions during the game. So i don't really buy the idea that Kuyt is a completely different player to the one we saw last season. For me the player we saw on his debut is the player i would like to see week in week out. That day he was dropping deep, facing up quickly, running at defenders and shooting on site. Direct, selfish and dangerous. More of that please Dirk.

well said he needs his space in the box
benf

Postby grayghost » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:00 pm

Maybe if we get this Babel DK may drop to the bench and Torres and Babel will start up top am not Dirks biggest fan and would not mind seeing Babel start up front if we sign him
grayghost

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Scottbot wrote:Since the Torres deal was finalised a lot of posters are predicting big things for Kuyt next season. Most are assuming his role within the team will change, that he'll spend a lot more time in the box, Torres will load a lot of the bullets and that we will see something of goal poacher this time around but i can't quite see it myself. I'm expecting a better player but not the big transformation that many have predicted.

I'm a fan of Kuyt but i'm not so sure the role he played last year was entirely down to him acting on orders from Benitez. I would defo like to see him playing further up the pitch and he needs to spend more time in the penalty box but i would argue that we saw him play his natural game (or thereabouts) last year. I say that because most players (even if they have been under strict instructions) revert to their natural game during patches of just about every game. Put someone like Luis Garcia or Stevie Gerrard out on the wing and they will invariably drift inside where they are most comfortable. Ask Michael Owen to play as a withdrawn striker and he will no doubt end up playing on the shoulder and the first into the penalty box on several occasions during the game. So i don't really buy the idea that Kuyt is a completely different player to the one we saw last season. For me the player we saw on his debut is the player i would like to see week in week out. That day he was dropping deep, facing up quickly, running at defenders and shooting on site. Direct, selfish and dangerous. More of that please Dirk.

In my opinion, Kuyt will be our top scorer this season.

He spent the majority of last season out of position playing more an AM/SS role than main striker. 16 times last season Kuyt played as main striker and he scored 12 goals in those games.

Now according to the stats at playing main striker it makes perfect sense for Torres just to play behind Kuyt and keep Kuyt as main striker. Torres is quicker and stronger than Kuyt, Kuyt has a better footballing brain.

Makes perfect sense.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bammo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:17 pm

I agree that Kuyt is likely to be our top scorer this season. Although if he gets 15 and isn't top scorer I'll be even happier :D . As for reverting to his natural game, I'm not sure that's entirely true. Playing up front with limited service can leave the striker feeling isolated so they come looking for the ball. I have a feeling this is what Kuyt resorted to last season. I'm sure that if he gets the service he'll hang around the box a lot more.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:09 pm

stmichael wrote:In my opinion, Kuyt will be our top scorer this season.

He spent the majority of last season out of position playing more an AM/SS role than main striker. 16 times last season Kuyt played as main striker and he scored 12 goals in those games.

Not sure how you have come to those stats st? Have you been back over the game-film or tried to figure it out by looking at the team-sheets? I believe he will score more goals next season but i don't for one minute believe that we will see Kuyt spending all his time in the penalty box next time out. i don't think he will suddenly learn how to really attack a ball in the box or considerably improve his heading ability. I don't buy the idea that he was simply doing a job for the team all of last season and as i said in my previous post, i didn't see many incidents during individual games that convinced me that he can be our go-to guy on a full-time basis.

I'll have a tenner with anyone (and you need to be a regular!) on torres out-scoring Kuyt next season!!! 

Oooops...what have i done...might regret it but there you go :D
Last edited by Scottbot on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouser 'til I die » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:49 pm

Scottbot wrote:
stmichael wrote:In my opinion, Kuyt will be our top scorer this season.

Not sure how you have come to those stats st? Have you been back over the game-film or tried to figure it out by looking at the team-sheets? I believe he will score more goals next season but i don't for one minute believe that we will see Kuyt spending all his time in the penalty box next time out. i don't think he will suddenly learn how to really attack a ball in the box or considerably improve his heading ability. I don't buy the idea that he was simply doing a job for the team all of last season and as i said in my previous post, i didn't see many incidents during individual games that convinced me that he can be our go-to guy on a full-time basis.

I'll have a tenner with anyone (and you need to be a regular!) on torres out-scoring Kuyt next season!!! 

Oooops...what have i done...might regret it but there you go :D

Deal!  :D last chance to withdraw :)

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:03 pm

scouser 'til I die wrote:Oooops...what have i done...might regret it but there you go :D

Deal!  :D last chance to withdraw :)[/quote]
Nope, i'm all over it! I'll post up me adress as you might as well send it over now :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouser 'til I die » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:07 pm

haha :D

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby .:RedKuyt:. » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:15 pm

dirk kuyt is a god striker
.:RedKuyt:.

Postby BEN [Holland] » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:09 pm

.:RedKuyt:. wrote:dirk kuyt is a god striker

Dirk Kuyt is a very good striker! I wish he played for Feyenoord this season.
Give him the time and he will out-scoring torres!
Kuyt is much better than Ryan Babel, and he has scored a lot more in Holland. Kuyt-Torres will be the best tactic! Ryan can play left-wing, a great stand in for Zenden.
BEN [Holland]

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:20 pm

Right, now we've got Kuyt and Babel.

Huntelaar next!
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:29 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Right, now we've got Kuyt and Babel.

Huntelaar next!

nah... he's not as good as voronin...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:04 am

Kuyt as far as I'm concerned is a waste of space, the fella runs round like a headless chicken but that's all, if we want that we could of kept Bellamy or even put Momo up front and we'd have the same goalscoring problems as we do now. Kuyt just doesn't impress me at all.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:15 am

Kuyt's a brilliant player, he links the play, has good awareness, presses the opposition midfield, can score and has an incredible attitude. He's only been here a year, I'm confident he'll have a cracking year this coming season. Some numpties don't appreciate him for what he is.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion