DIEGO CAVALIERI - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:17 pm

Well it has to be said that quite apart from his goalkeeping attributes (and lets be honest, judging from what Joe has written he'll never get a game for us will he?) his bird is extremely tasty. Fair play to the fella.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:07 pm

:D , as mick has said , the bird is great but TBH , why waste 3 million when niemi was available for free? , even Maik taylor , proven and experience goal keepers with premier league experience .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:15 pm

LFC2007 wrote:I don't really have a problem with the fee, as long as it doesn't inhibit our ability to sign players in positions of much higher priority.

Reg says he's the new Dino Zoff so I can't imagine him being another Itandje.

I wouldn't have problems with the fee if the condition you mention later was true.

But the truth seems to be Rafa hasn't  alot of of financial backing, he has suggested us the need to sell. So under that sceneario, 3M seems more necessary somewhere else than in the goalie back up place: We don't need a new keeper in the next 4 years, and if we what we want is to have a quality option if Reina is injured, then I'd go for a Palop or a good english veteran keeper (name your favourites) who are ending a contract.

3M might do the difference between bringing a player or not, so too much for another keeper IMHO.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:18 pm

Its Mihaylov's girlfriend.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:32 am

Toffeehater wrote: :D , as mick has said , the bird is great but TBH , why waste 3 million when niemi was available for free? , even Maik taylor , proven and experience goal keepers with premier league experience .

Cavalieri is 25, about the same age as Reina. Niemi is a decent keeper but 36 and Taylor is 37 going on 100.

I hope we do make a few million out of Carson or this move will look expensive for a bench warmer. Reina played 52 out of 59 games last season, keeping 24 clean sheets and the seven games he missed were four FA Cup ties and three League Cup ties ie he played all the important games/all the Premiership and Champions League games.

But Reina may get injured, he's only missed 23 of the 179 games he could have played at Liverpool so played 87% of the games. The worry for me is Diego may see this as a better shop window than being on the bench at his previous club so we may spend £3m on him and he may look to move after a season or two of benchwarming and 'reserves' games
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:56 am

Just a little taster of what Cavaleri faces :-

Jose "Pepe" Reina

2007/8 : Played 52 of the 59 Liverpool games (88%), kept 24 clean sheets. Games missed were four FA Cup ties and three League Cup ties so basically he played every Premiership and every Champions League game.

2005/6-2007/8 : Played 156 of the 179 Liverpool games (87%), kept 80 clean sheets. Has tended to miss Premiership games only when a big final is round the corner and has been left out of League Cup games and a few early/easy FA Cup games.

Premiership : 106 appearances (out of 114), 57 Clean Sheets
Champions League : 40 appearances, 20 Clean Sheets
FA Cup/League Cup/Other : 10 appearances, 3 Clean Sheets

So he's missed eight league games, Cavalieri faces maybe 23 games in 3 seasons if Reina stays fit and Rafa's favourite
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:28 am

I'm glad we have got rid of Itandje and replaced him with Cavalieri.  I have never seen the new lad play but he seems to come with a good reputation.

In recent years Brazil seem to have produced a few top class keepers such as Dida, Marcos and the lad who plays for Inter who was fantastic  this season. 

Reina is a fantastic keeper but we have to keep him on his toes.  Last season there wasn't a chance in hell that Itandje would ever oust him from his position of number 1, hopefully Cavalieri can be more of a challenge.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:22 pm

He's Brazilian so therfore he can take the free kicks, corners and penalties. :)
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:48 pm

kazza wrote:He's Brazilian so therfore he can take the free kicks, corners and penalties. :)

:D Funnily enough in one of the clips I saw the team they were playing against got a free-kick just outside the box and I think the keeper took that as it goes.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:23 am

Bad Bob wrote:Remember Padelli against Charlton, I think.  He was appalling but, to be fair, he didn't get too many cracks of the whip.  Oh well. :D

Was at Anfield that day.  Padelli was gash.  Think we conceded a goal in the first minute.  Game finished two all I think.

Memories from that day - Darren Bent ran us ragged, looked a dangerous and quality player that day and Charlton were punching above their weight with a player like him, and Fowler was brought off a minute before we won a penalty which Harry Kewell converted if I'm not mistaken...
jonnymac1979

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:56 am

Ian Rush's Right foot wrote:
Reg wrote:
Ian Rush's Right foot wrote:"Liverpool are expected to complete the £3million signing of Palmeiras goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri after sources in Brazil confirmed the player completed his medical on Tuesday and a work permit has been acquired. (Press Association, 1121 BST)"

looks like a dead cert, 3mill for a back up keeper!! ???

Sorry but i reackon thats a waste of cash!, (he's only 3  month younger than Reina)

There be plenty of good back ups on a free, especially with Prem experience!!

If we decide to sell Carson in view of this deal he must be worth in excess of 12mill

He´s had a blinder of a season with Palmeiras and is reckoned to be equal or better than Reina. My Brazilian colleagues and fanatic Palmeiras fans say we´ve got the bargain of the season for a premium of 1 million over what we sold the other lad for and suggest we can cash in Reina to Real Madrid whatever - thats the level of confidence they have in Cavalieri.

Lets get some perspective before slagging off YET ANOTHER new player ffs.

easy tiger, re-read the post, i never slagged the lad off,

i was shocked at his price tag,

Unproven at the high level in which we play, and therefore expensive at 3mill.

I hope he is a blinding keeper, but will have to go a long way in being better than Pepe.

Coming to the crux of my point "a waste of money" the same our pursuit of Barry.

Will hardly be a waste if he's a quality back up for Pepe, or if he's eventually flogged on for an inevitable profit. I'm wondering what your gripe would be if we failed to sign a quality keeper if Pepe got injured. Hardly a "waste" if you haven't seen him play enough to be  judged as such. A tad premature as usual, but that's par for the course for the forum over the last year or so.

And I don't mean to have a go, but this "unproven" lark really is a lot of bollox. Good pro's can adjust in any climate depending on their will to do so.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:37 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Ian Rush's Right foot wrote:
Reg wrote:
Ian Rush's Right foot wrote:"Liverpool are expected to complete the £3million signing of Palmeiras goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri after sources in Brazil confirmed the player completed his medical on Tuesday and a work permit has been acquired. (Press Association, 1121 BST)"

looks like a dead cert, 3mill for a back up keeper!! ???

Sorry but i reackon thats a waste of cash!, (he's only 3  month younger than Reina)

There be plenty of good back ups on a free, especially with Prem experience!!

If we decide to sell Carson in view of this deal he must be worth in excess of 12mill

He´s had a blinder of a season with Palmeiras and is reckoned to be equal or better than Reina. My Brazilian colleagues and fanatic Palmeiras fans say we´ve got the bargain of the season for a premium of 1 million over what we sold the other lad for and suggest we can cash in Reina to Real Madrid whatever - thats the level of confidence they have in Cavalieri.

Lets get some perspective before slagging off YET ANOTHER new player ffs.

easy tiger, re-read the post, i never slagged the lad off,

i was shocked at his price tag,

Unproven at the high level in which we play, and therefore expensive at 3mill.

I hope he is a blinding keeper, but will have to go a long way in being better than Pepe.

Coming to the crux of my point "a waste of money" the same our pursuit of Barry.

Will hardly be a waste if he's a quality back up for Pepe, or if he's eventually flogged on for an inevitable profit. I'm wondering what your gripe would be if we failed to sign a quality keeper if Pepe got injured. Hardly a "waste" if you haven't seen him play enough to be  judged as such. A tad premature as usual, but that's par for the course for the forum over the last year or so.

And I don't mean to have a go, but this "unproven" lark really is a lot of bollox. Good pro's can adjust in any climate depending on their will to do so.

Saw him play against in the friendly yesterday, He's alright came and took the ball well a few times,

However,

3million when we don't need to spend it on a position where a freebie keeper would have been sufficient, in an obvious waste of cash

And again I didn’t slag the lad off. The FACT is we didn’t need to spend the money now. So what if we make a profit in the future were apparantly skint now!

If we end up buying Top class players in the positions we need then it won’t be a waste, but if we fail to sign players in the areas we are short I’m sure you’ll be griping.

Your Comment "if you haven't seen him play enough to be  judged as such. A tad premature as usual, but that's par for the course for the forum over the last year or so" I'm sure you were knocking degan in another thread ???

As for your comment “Good pro's can adjust in any climate” let me throw a few names at you, Morientes, Boumsong, Shevchenko, Rebrov. Brolin et al ???  ???
Last edited by Ian Rush's Right foot on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Perhaps he'll develop into a top class Keeper. Then I think that'll make it NINE World class players we've got :laugh: Feck knows how we can't win that league with the team we've got.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:55 pm

bigmick wrote:Perhaps he'll develop into a top class Keeper. Then I think that'll make it NINE World class players we've got :laugh: Feck knows how we can't win that league with the team we've got.

:laugh:
account deleted by request

Postby flamingpoe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:11 pm

it has been said in the daily mail, friday, saturday, sunday jeez, it has said we are launching a bid for robbie keane from totenham, rafa has had a statement released saying he thinks that he would like villa and silva to come to us but he does not want to fork out the new asking price by the new valencia owners:- villa 28-32mil, silva 20-25mil so it does not appear that we are getting either, so scrap all your ideas, the same as all the other teams!
i think that the kid riera that we are going to sign is going to be a real revalation he seems to like to bring the wing backs and centre of mid into play and that in my eyes is a very wise winger, him and dossena, who i might say is damn quick will work well together, combined with the masch and barry combination at the back will give babel and torres, with gerrard playin behind in a attack minded centre mid will work damn well together, so i have high hopes, all we need to do now is get rid of that abomination of player, pennant and replace him and i will be very happy :P, you all may disagree with me but i just dont care now :P :D
flamingpoe

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion