Didi comes home

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:39 pm

A true professional that never complained when on the bench and always did the business when he came on, in his prime he was world class. The youngsters could learn alot from him.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dazzer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Octsky wrote:I like that man, but seeing him passing the ball only to sideways and backwards toward defense can get really frustrating sometimes.

Its not always the players fault who is passing the ball that there passes don't go forward.It has alot to do with what runs and space the players have in front of them.I remember he was never wasteful with the ball and always had high pass complete in matches you can't ask for more from a defensive midfielder.He was an expert at breaking play up and he used to be able to slide tackle and get the ball to someone 7/10 which for me is a sign of a great DM.
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:03 pm

great news :)
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:44 am

If you could guarantee the Hamann that left here then I'd have him back in the side, but clearly he's not going to be the same player or he'd have been snapped up by now.

As for comments on players "leaving too soon", it is more to do with PROGRESS (or supposed progress) and the fact that the players wouldn't have got the opportunities they would get elsewhere. For instance Sami was a fill-in CB, maybe some on here sentimentally think he could have, and maybe should have, been a first choice starter given our defensive problems, but I bet you if he played regularly he'd look tired and be exposed more than the infrequent starter he became. Hamann became displaced, as he did at Citeh. Professional footballers with any self respect will be looking to play regularly and go for a club or level that gives them that. Maybe they could offer clubs like Liverpool something, but not as regulars. I couldn't see us competing for the CL and league with a side containing let's say Hyypia, Hamann and Fowler on any kind of regular basis. They could maybe all still do jobs, certainly when they left, but sentimentality tends to rule the mind over objectivity in comparisons with current incumbents

EDIT : which is why when I said we shouldn't have got rid of Fowler, I also point out that he could have done a job as a bit-part player, mainly off the bench and in cup games, NOT as a regular starter. I think he would have accepted that role as a scouser, the others would need to play regularly. Of course Fowler isn't (and wasn't) the player he was in his prime, but he still had it in him to offer something more off the bench and as much skill or more than N'Gog and Voronin. Our resources for strikers are pale by comparison to Chelsea and Man Utd, they have 2-3 quality strikers (Anelka and Drogba, Berbatov, Rooney and Owen) compared to Torres and maybe Kuyt as our second best option
Last edited by Owzat on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:24 pm

I've got to say I don't think the English system of coaching/managerial setup is for him. Whilst it's nice if he's helping out at our academy etc, I can't help but feel he would suit the German position of 'head coach' far more than the English position of manager, IYSWIM.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby heimdall » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:22 pm

Octsky wrote:I like that man, but seeing him passing the ball only to sideways and backwards toward defense can get really frustrating sometimes.

And you don't get that same unease watching Lucas  :D

I would pick Didi, even now, over Lucas every frigging day of the week.

I seem to recall a few cracking goals from Didi whilst I sort of struggle with Lucas or Mascha. :shifty
heimdall

Postby Red_lass » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:38 am

always had a soft spot for Didi. he's the typical defensive midfielder. use to remember when we lose the ball i'd go 'where Didi?' and than poof he appears in a heart beat. shame his time was up. would be awesome if he comes back at any capacity.
Red_lass
Red_lass

Postby CTID » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:21 am

Hamman was class for us until his very last performance. In his first season he was pretty poor. We thought he was just looking for one last big pay day before he retired. But in all fairness he had won the European cup with you guys the year before and when he came to City it has to be said we had a rather poor team. Our top youngsters (Ireland, Onouha, Johnson, Richards etc) weren't quite ready and there was a feeling around the club of a lack of effort, like everyone was willing to accept our station in life.

But when the first takeover happened we brought in the likes of Elano and Petrov. Players who could actually play a bit. And there seemed to be a lot more motivation and ambition. The kids really progressed too and i have no doubt that Didi played an important role in this. He never lost his fantastic footballing brain. And his range of passing was great.

It was only when Micheal Johnson started to really push on that Didi lost his place to a more youthfull model. But even from the bench he remained a true professional and will always be remembered very fondly at City. In fact, I still think he could do a decent job for a team like Stoke, Hull, Burnley, Birmingham etc. He still hasn't officially anounced his retirement has he? I think he's keeping his options open.

He could very well be a Liverpool manager in the future. He will always adore your club.
Last edited by CTID on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTID

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion