Descision time - For mr benitez

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:00 am

Benitez decision this week 

Liverpool

31 May 2004

From the talksport website

Liverpool managerial target Rafael Benitez will tell Valencia where his future lies later this week, after discussing a new contract.

Valencia have offered their coach a new deal to try and persuade him to stay, with Benitez's agent holding talks with club director Manuel Llorente over the weekend.

The manager's representative Manuel Garcia Quilon admitted: "The offer is on the table and we will give an answer in the next two or three days."

Meanwhile, Reds chief executive Rick Parry has revealed that senior players will be consulted about the replacement for Gerard Houllier, in particular the likes of Michael Owen and skipper Steven Gerrard.

Parry said: "There will be some dialogue with senior players. It won't be so much in terms of individuals but what they see as being the right qualities and how they think we should be going forward."
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:19 am

Rafael Benitez has resigned as coach of Valencia as speculation mounts he is set to become the next Liverpool boss.
The Primera Liga club had offered Benitez a two-year contract extension, but the former Tenerife coach rejected the new contract on the table.

Benitez, who led Valencia to the Spanish title and the Uefa Cup this season, is tipped to replace Gerard Houllier, who was sacked in May.

Liverpool want to name the successor to Houllier within a fortnight.

Alan Curbishley, who has been in charge at Charlton since 1991, has also been tipped to move to Liverpool.

Jose Mourinho, who has confirmed he is leaving Porto for an unnamed English club, is likely to choose Chelsea ahead of Anfield.

source: BBC sports

well, its almost over in the search now if you ask me
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:22 pm

The man is as good as confirmed.. it won;t even take two weeks me-thinks
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:22 pm

he has just left Valencia, I think he will be at LFC next season, great news!

Rafael Benitez has quit Valencia and is now hotly tipped to take over as Liverpool's new manager. 
Benitez informed the Spanish champions of his wish to leave Valencia this morning, and the club's board have terminated the final year of his contract.

Valencia had offered their highly rated coach a two year extension to his deal, but after thinking over his options he has decided to leave the club with immediate effect.

"I can confirm that Rafael Benitez will not continue at Valencia after the club and the coach agreed to part ways," said a spokesman.

Liverpool have not yet made any comment on whether they want Benitez as their new manager or not, but chief executive Rick Parry has confirmed an announcement will be made within the next two weeks.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:07 pm

Probably the only realistic options open to Benetiz at the moment are:

1. Liverpool job.
2. Roma job.
3. Inter Milan job.

Benetiz has previously expressed his love of Italian football, but I think you can put your house on being at Anfield in 10-14 days.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:02 am

If he`s serious then Liverpool is his only option from that lot.I really thought he was giving us the runaround and just angling for a new contract with Valencia,but it looks almost certain now.It will be interesting to see how he spends transfer money as he has no experience of big money deals at all.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:07 am

true, but he also might persuade big bame Valencia players (Aimar,Ayala) to jump ship as well.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:12 am

The prospect of getting a  Quality manager who has sparred with the likes of big spenders like Madrid and Barca and come out on top bodes well for LIverpool FC :D  Tactically he is as good as it gets and will enable LFC to compete with teams in the prem who have much larger wallets than we do at present.

Greta for football I think that the likes of Porto and valencia, Arsenal to an extent too, have proved you don't have to throw money at a problem to solve it ........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:14 am

My HOUSE IS ON Benitiz coming , try and get a bookie to take a bet on the next LFC mnanager being Benitiz and see how far you get....:D  Papers lie and make up the stories to get you to buy their copies but the Bookies know the score :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leothelion » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:14 am

YEH IT DOES LOOK ALMOST CERTAIN BUT LETS HOPE PARRY IS DOING SOME WORK OVER HIS MOBILE AND NOT WAITING TILL HE COMES BACK .
IF HE WANTS TO CONSULT SENIOR PLAYERS FIRST DECISIONS COULD TAKE ANOTHER WEEK OR TWO
IS BENITEZ WILLING TO WAIT THAT LONG ?
WHAT IF HE GETS AN OFFER HE CANT REFUSE SOMEWHERE ELSE ?
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:21 am

Stop fretting Leo :p  He's coming to Liverpool :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leothelion » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:23 am

HOPE SO :)
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:31 am

He still has to work out his two week notice period at Valencia, remeber he resigned... he wasn't fired, this conincides with Rick Parry's anouncement at the weekend perfectly
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:24 am

I agree with Dalglish, I have a feeling that Benitez is coming. The only thing is the lack of real news confirming this is making me rather nervous...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:34 am

Nah, it will all explode next week when he comes and all the transfer talks start.  Saying that, who would want our cast offs?  Has anybody enquired about any of our players lately?

I know West Brom are going after Traore, but wouldn't the new manager make these decisions?  Who is sanctioning the transfer?
jonnymac1979

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion