David raven/zak whitbread - Can they make the step up?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:25 pm

Whilst I still agree that we need a quick, top quality centre half, I just wandered why a youngster such as David Raven or even Zak Whitbread shouldn't be given a chance in the near future. In the Spurs match in the Carling Cup, Raven made one last ditch tackle which was absolutely brilliant. Had it been Rio Ferdinand or John Terry, everyone would have been raving about it.

My point is, our one World Class player Steven Gerrard is as good as he is because he was given the chance to prove himself at an early age. Being a reserve player at Barca or Real madrid does not make you any better than a great young scouse prospect who has come through the academy. If we look at the top three clubs thay constantly give youngsters an opportunity to prove themselves and not just in the Carling Cup. I would give Raven or Whitbread a chance. If they're not as good as someone like Traore or Josemi I'll eat my hat.

What do you reckon? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:28 pm

i totally agree with u and saind so in a thread i did earlier. altho we may need a cb, it is nowhere near our main concern with the youth we have in the background. Right now lets just sort out a striker and go on from there.
i think whitbread is definately one for the future (havent seen much of raven) and we should play him or give him the bench a few times to get him into the team more
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:33 pm

I haven't seen enough of either of them but I think Whitbread looks a good defender, he reminds me of Hyypia with more pace :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:53 pm

I love the way that some people have referred to Zak Whitbread as a great scouse prospect. What with him being American and all. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:37 pm

I think david raven has more potential. Whitebred looks ok. But i am still baffled over john welsh. He looks good & composed when he came on against spurs. How diao is in front of him in the pecking order is beyond me.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:48 pm

The_Rock wrote:I think david raven has more potential. Whitebred looks ok. But i am still baffled over john welsh. He looks good & composed when he came on against spurs. How diao is in front of him in the pecking order is beyond me.

I agree mate, Welsh should get a chance  :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:35 pm

Great to hear that Zak whitbread and David raven has bein given new contract it would of bein a disater if we let then go especially after there perfomances over spurs. I always bein impressed with Zak when his played in the reserves that David raven aint bad either England under 18's capatain but Zak is closer to a full international call up. There closer than let say Welsh cus we don't really have any back up centre backs who could do a job i hope they will get some league experience this season. Now all we need to do is get some decent right and left backs and give Paul harisson a chance in the first leg of the semi-finals vs Watford :)
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:41 pm

I am surprised that Rafa prefer David Raven as right-back player but his favourite position is Centre Half, I prefer him to play as centre half than playing right back.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hamza » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:36 pm

Raven and witbread both look good for the future but at this moument in time stephane henchoz seems like the better option
Hamza

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion