Daniel Agger - Sorely missed ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:54 am

the loss of Agger has been excentuated by the loss of Xabi.

Xabi would drop off and take it off the centre halves so they didnt need to make hte pass, however it now goes long too often.

Sami cant pass for toffee.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:15 am

Both Agger and Alonso are the best passers in their respective positions. But the thing with Hyypia he's always pumped it long and its really nothing new. It is frustrating to watch as his long balls by-pass the midfield, and 9/10 it gives possesion away.

As I say its nothing new with Sami, but what does seem a slight problem of ours at the moment is in the final third. Just lately I think we've been playing too narrow at times, like in the Houllier days. Against Wigan the goal did come from a central position, but for me this was the reason we were left frustrated at home to Brum. Both Babel and Yossi when deployed on the left will naturally cut inside to their favoured foot, and even Pennant to hasnt stretched the LB's of late. This could be one of a few reasons why we've huffed and puffed to break teams down.

But back to the original point, Agger will be missed.
66-1112520797

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:13 am

Agger will be missed but Sami is fantastic cover. Ok, his pace is gone but he's never really been about that. And in games where we know he's going to be up against really pacey, we could use Arbeloa in central defence. He can play there and though he doesn't have Hyypia's overall level of skill, he is quite nippy.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:57 pm

I wouldn't use "sorely missed" because we haven't received a goal in open play. Our defensive record continues to be spotless, and, for what is worth, in Portsmouth and Wigan games our CB were tested, they had work.

But definitely I agree the praises that AB says about Agger, and definitely I agree we've abused the long balls from the CB in some games. Some of which with Agger in the pitch -- he sometimes looks for a more complicated pass than he should aswell.

Agger is a very good CB, being a regular in this club says it all really. And CB get better with experience, so I'm very optimistic with Agger's future. A great great signing, probably one of the most important Rafa signings.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:49 pm

AB's Red Army wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Rafa's fault TBH. He should have signed a CB (when carra was injured)...

But think Arbeloa might make a decent pacy CB alongside carra (but not sure how is he in the air)....

I agree, Rafa did make a mistake by not buying a CB.

But in order for Arbeloa to be effective in this league as a CB, he needs to put on some serious muscle.

And compounded the error by selling Paletta without replacing him.

I do worry about Sami's lack of pace, it will surely cost us sooner or later. Fortunately Agger's absence has coincided against a run of games where the opposition were beatable and unlikely to seriously expose us at the back.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AB's Red Army » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:15 pm

Sabre wrote:I wouldn't use "sorely missed" because we haven't received a goal in open play. Our defensive record continues to be spotless, and, for what is worth, in Portsmouth and Wigan games our CB were tested, they had work.

But definitely I agree the praises that AB says about Agger, and definitely I agree we've abused the long balls from the CB in some games. Some of which with Agger in the pitch -- he sometimes looks for a more complicated pass than he should aswell.

Agger is a very good CB, being a regular in this club says it all really. And CB get better with experience, so I'm very optimistic with Agger's future. A great great signing, probably one of the most important Rafa signings.

I pointed that out and that's not why we miss him. We miss him because of his ability to bring the ball out of play, which affects our build ups.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby Owzat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Mightn't we be doing so well defensively because of Alonso's absence rather than in spite of Agger's........................................................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:14 pm

Anyone know when Agger & Alonso are due back?

The sooner the better.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:12 pm

caught him in town the other night looks like theres something wrong with his hand

took a photo ill try and put it up

HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Grudge » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:14 pm

Of course Agger has been a loss,you could not fault the lad for effort and hunger.I think he's been a great signing and probably one of Rafas most important.

Sami Hyypia in my eyes will go down as an LFC legend,hes the type of player i will tell my grandson about when i get to that age but sometimes i feel he should be put out to pasture!He still has the brain of an excellent defender but the body just is not up to it anymore.I dread to think of a time when he costs us a vital game...The man should walk out of Anfield with pride intact,not like an overmilked cow.
We should all thank Sami for probably being one of the best and most consistant modern day legends we have seen......Rafa should get rid in January!

As for Agger,he is one of the young players that excite me the most.I think he will prove to be top class for us and am excited to see him develop,he is learning bigtime from Carra and proving just as important at times.
Mentioned above are his runs out of defence..very rarely seen thes days but that is a big part of his game.They key factor is that when the lad goes forward he very rarely gives the ball away..its great to see because it really takes the opposition by surprise at times.

For me he has came and fitted in almost instantly as if he was tailor made for our needs...great player and the sooner hes back the better!
The Grudge

Postby Smeg » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:23 am

Overated, we need a better centre half.

Good squad player though.
Smeg

Postby The Grudge » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:54 am

Smeg wrote:Overated, we need a better centre half.

Go and die Stu...please!

Know all....How do you expect anyone to take you serious when you get dropped by a Sunday League team boss?

I think maybe that says it all....no doubt you will make an excuse about him not knowing anything either!....Mmmn thats why hes picking the Sunday League team and you are stuck in your bedroom,single with your finger in the hottest place you know...that is not the kettle!
The Grudge

Postby lio » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:02 am

H Kewell      Groin Strain                  no return date
X Alonso      Metatarsal Fracture      3rd Nov 07
D Agger       Metatarsal Fracture      3rd Nov 07

Part of the reasons lately for the poor support from our midfielders to strikers maybe the concerned of a weaker defense line in the absence of Agger. Moving too far away from over work carra and particularly hyypia is inviting troubles. My hope Carra’s not getting injuries before Agger’s return or else a disaster surely.
lio

Postby The Grudge » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:10 am

lio wrote:H Kewell      Groin Strain                  no return date
X Alonso      Metatarsal Fracture      3rd Nov 07
D Agger       Metatarsal Fracture      3rd Nov 07

Part of the reasons lately for the poor support from our midfielders to strikers maybe the concerned of a weaker defense line in the absence of Agger. Moving too far away from over work carra and particularly hyypia is inviting troubles. My hope Carra’s not getting injuries before Agger’s return or else a disaster surely.

Yeah right enough the defence has been aweful...You must be sniffing the same glue as Stu!..Yeah what a weak defence line we have!!It really must affect the midfield the more i think about it

WHAT THE FU.CK? ARE POUNDSTRETCHER DOING 2 EVO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE WITH FREE BAG...A SUNDAY MORNING SPECIAL?
The Grudge

Postby Smeg » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:40 am

The Grudge wrote:
Smeg wrote:Overated, we need a better centre half.

Go and die Stu...please!

Know all....How do you expect anyone to take you serious when you get dropped by a Sunday League team boss?

I think maybe that says it all....no doubt you will make an excuse about him not knowing anything either!....Mmmn thats why hes picking the Sunday League team and you are stuck in your bedroom,single with your finger in the hottest place you know...that is not the kettle!

Good post as always.

Why do you continue to embarress yourself?

Oh thats right, to many drugs and can't handle your ale.
How you have the cheek to call anyone is beyond me.

Grow up you sad little man.

:no
Smeg

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion