DANIEL AGGER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:16 am

alex your making a lot of assumptions based on the media . Have actually spoken to the person ? No . So wouldnt be calling him a betrayer just yet
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23 am

GYBS wrote:alex your making a lot of assumptions based on the media . Have actually spoken to the person ? No . So wouldnt be calling him a betrayer just yet

There would be no talks if he wasn't considering an exit.  And his manager was in Milan, he either "wants to move to a bigger club", wants more money, or is too lazy to fight for his spot against Carra, Hyypia, and Skrtel.
SupitsJonF

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:41 am

I agree with GYBS on this one, as I really can't understand how quite a few posters on this forum can just seamlessly adopt the stance that he's greedy, lazy, doesn't wanna fight for his spot, doesn't care about LFC etc. based solely on media stories. FFS just wait and see what actually happens, before you all start to condemn the man! That's all I'm asking, and then you can start bashing him IF he actually leaves for whatever reason.
JamCar05

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:43 am

JamCar05 wrote:I really can't understand how quite a few posters on this forum can just seamlessly adopt the stance that he's greedy, lazy, doesn't wanna fight for his spot, doesn't care about LFC etc. based solely on media stories. FFS just wait and see what actually happens, before you all start to condemn the man! That's all I'm asking, and then you can start bashing him IF he actually leaves for whatever reason.

Easier to vent and apologize and admit you were wrong then to not vent at all  :D
SupitsJonF

Postby GYBS » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:45 am

SupitsJonF wrote:
GYBS wrote:alex your making a lot of assumptions based on the media . Have actually spoken to the person ? No . So wouldnt be calling him a betrayer just yet

There would be no talks if he wasn't considering an exit.  And his manager was in Milan, he either "wants to move to a bigger club", wants more money, or is too lazy to fight for his spot against Carra, Hyypia, and Skrtel.

Is it not just media specualtion once again about his manager
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:08 am

I don't understand why Rafa doesn't play Agger and Skrtl with Carra at RB. Anyway the Mail is saying negotiations are under way. I think he will be gone in this window for sure. Rafa wiki have to stump out a bit for a replacement. Maybe Upson. Go on :censored: of and stuff your face with meatballs and ragu you greedy :censored:. Top of the league and we still can't hang on to our good players.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:20 am

I'd be very surprised if money is the only consideration for a player like Agger. The difference between 60K per week and 70 can't be that much once the tax man's been in and chopped it off.

More likely I think is that he feels he isn't a first choice centre back anymore if everyone is fit. He would be if I was picking the team, but I shouldn't think that is an awful lot of compensation for him under the circumstances. It's Rafa who picks the team, and I think he's made it pretty clear that aside from rotational considerations, Skyrtel and Carragher are his number one central defensive pairing. The manager is of course entitled to judge the situation as he sees fit, but equally we shouldn't be too surprised when a player actually wants to feature on a regualr basis. Similarly, it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the World if Babel or Benayoun were to announce before too much longer that they want to play more regularly.

It's hardly a situation which is unique to Liverpool Football Club, nor to Daniel Agger either as all clubs have to deal with it. I would say though, that 7.5 million for a 24 year old centre half of proven quality seems ridiculously cheap to me. A couple of people have mentioned Upson as a potential replacement. Firstly and FWIW I don't think he's as good as Agger, and secondly I don't think for one minute you'dget him for less than 10 million quid, probably nearer 12-13.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:51 am

bigmick wrote:A couple of people have mentioned Upson as a potential replacement. Firstly and FWIW I don't think he's as good as Agger, and secondly I don't think for one minute you'dget him for less than 10 million quid, probably nearer 12-13.

Agree with you there Mick - what have we to gain from this if we need to go out and get a replacement?
I cant see any.

Im not Rafa bashing, but I dont think he expends much time to make sure
all his players are "happy".
For him, players are a cog in the system.

One of his few failures.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chalky » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:16 am

He's a top CB who isn't getting enough games. I'm not suprised that he wants to leave.
Chalky

Postby Greavesie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:36 am

bavlondon wrote:I don't understand why Rafa doesn't play Agger and Skrtl with Carra at RB. Anyway the Mail is saying negotiations are under way. I think he will be gone in this window for sure. Rafa wiki have to stump out a bit for a replacement. Maybe Upson. Go on :censored: of and stuff your face with meatballs and ragu you greedy :censored:. Top of the league and we still can't hang on to our good players.

Bav, in Carra's book I'm sure he says something like once he gets shipped in different positions and gets removed from his original position he would consider his future, not sure about the actual quote but I'm positive its words to that effect
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:40 am

Greavesie wrote:
bavlondon wrote:I don't understand why Rafa doesn't play Agger and Skrtl with Carra at RB. Anyway the Mail is saying negotiations are under way. I think he will be gone in this window for sure. Rafa wiki have to stump out a bit for a replacement. Maybe Upson. Go on :censored: of and stuff your face with meatballs and ragu you greedy :censored:. Top of the league and we still can't hang on to our good players.

Bav, in Carra's book I'm sure he says something like once he gets shipped in different positions and gets removed from his original position he would consider his future, not sure about the actual quote but I'm positive its words to that effect

He said that he'd consider his future the minute he became a squad player, mate (just finished the bio :D ).  With that said, he also made it very clear that he prefers playing as a CB.  That's fortunate for us because he's a far better CB than he is a RB and we'd be foolish to keep him on the flank to accommodate any of our other CBs at the moment.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:20 am

some people here need a reality check. you keep accusing Agger of being greedy and whatsoever but where are your sources? did he tell you that personally? is there any evidence? so till then its just media making up assumptions and you're falling for it. no one knows what exactly is going on except for those parties involved so why cant we support the player instead of bashing him for no reason or rhyme? ???
its not like he is playing cack and demanding a wage raise. he has earned it. so all you haters out there, stop talking sh!t and support him.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:52 am

Liverpool must tie up Daniel Agger contract, warns Rafa Benitez  By David Maddock 16/01/2009

Rafa Benitez has pleaded with the Anfield board to make Daniel Agger an offer he can't refuse.

The Liverpool manager is desperate to keep the Danish centre-half at the club in the face of mounting pressure from AC Milan.

Agger's agent, Per Steffersen, was pictured this week having lunch with the Italian club's sporting director Ariedo Braida at a high-profile restaurant in the city.

Reports suggest Milan are prepared to offer the defender upwards of £70,000 a week, and there is even speculation in Denmark that a deal worth around £7.5m has been agreed.

Liverpool's American owners have been reluctant to even entertain Agger's wage demands of around £60,000 a week, which would more than double his salary.

daily mirror
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:47 am

listen to the manager for ffs and give agger the new contract and sharpish . What knowledge do the owners or parry have that gives them the right to say a player is not worth what he wants . If the manager says he is worth it then that should be the end of it .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:17 am

john craig wrote:People need to dry their eyes over this Agger contract situation.  The simple fact is that he's a good player but not a top class one worth the 70k a week his agent is asking for.  At the moment he's our 4th most consistent centre back and that's a fact. 

I don't care if he's young, has potential, can step out with the ball from the back blah blah blah, defending is what he's paid to do and he's not good enough to get into our first XI on current form.  Therefore who the fu.ck is he to hold us to ransom over his wages.  He either lowers his demands or he fu.cks off, plain and simple, if that's for 7-8 mil to Milan, then imo it's not a bad price for a guy who cost 3.5mil and has spent as much time injured as he has on the pitch since he's been here.  People saying he's worth 12+mil are talking pie in the sky rubbish.

Furthermore, with 8 million I'm more than confident that Benitez could find another centre half who'd be at least as good as Agger - his track record at buying defensive players is generally good.

I must stress that in an ideal world I'd like Agger to stay, but if he doesn't, well it's just not that big a deal imo.

Agreed John, but 8m is not good enough for a player we bought for 5m

10-12m is the right price.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion