DANIEL AGGER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Madmax » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:50 pm

must be given for sure. hyypia is doingf a great job but his get olders by the day and losing some flair. Agger is brill in defence and young aswel.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:21 pm

GYBS wrote:get that contract sorted and signed sharpish . Really rate the guy .

i think reports say he wants his salary doubled. if u were to boss, would u do that?

i would, he is an invaluable asset and is still so young. bearing in mind central defenders mature as they age, its important to keep him at all cost unless we find an able replacement who is at least of the same level.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:28 pm

milou wrote:I can't put my finger on it.. but I have a funny feeling that somehow Rafa stopped rating Agger anymore, during or after his injury. Is it only me or does anyone else have this hunch too?

This is something about Rafa that I can't really grasp (on top of many "mysterious" decisions he made of cos! :D). Having bought and stuck with certain players, sometimes he "loses faith" in them without really obvious reasons (not to outsiders like us anyway) and often pretty quickly. And when this happens, your liverpool career is as good as over.

IMHO.. Many of these players actually did ok to well before they are suddenly being "shelved" and "shipped out"... crouch is the obvious one & bellamy, cisse, pennant all belong to the same category.

It is still too early to tell but I am a little worried for Agger TBH. Now that Skytel is back, we will see how it pans out for Agger.

I rate him but Rafa is the boss.

In the second paragraph you say something I'd agree, it  does seem that sometimes Rafa loses confidence all of a sudden, and it's difficult that confidence coming back. Perhaps Alonso is the exception that confirms the rule, from being ready to sell him, now it seems that if Rafa had to choose to play Mascherano or Alonso in the CL final he'd pick Alonso.

So I agree there might be some of this.

However, I'm not so sure Agger falls in this category.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:32 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:

i think reports say he wants his salary doubled. if u were to boss, would u do that?

i would, he is an invaluable asset and is still so young. bearing in mind central defenders mature as they age, its important to keep him at all cost unless we find an able replacement who is at least of the same level.

I would especially given that Hyypia is getting on a bit now. Once he leaves/retires Rafa will have to bring someone in anyway so why waste time brining someone new in and waiting for them to settle when he has a quality CB in Agger already? The only reason I can think of is that he needs the money as the owners wont give him anything until he sells.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby milou » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:17 am

Sabre wrote:
milou wrote:I can't put my finger on it.. but I have a funny feeling that somehow Rafa stopped rating Agger anymore, during or after his injury. Is it only me or does anyone else have this hunch too?

This is something about Rafa that I can't really grasp (on top of many "mysterious" decisions he made of cos! :D). Having bought and stuck with certain players, sometimes he "loses faith" in them without really obvious reasons (not to outsiders like us anyway) and often pretty quickly. And when this happens, your liverpool career is as good as over.

IMHO.. Many of these players actually did ok to well before they are suddenly being "shelved" and "shipped out"... crouch is the obvious one & bellamy, cisse, pennant all belong to the same category.

It is still too early to tell but I am a little worried for Agger TBH. Now that Skytel is back, we will see how it pans out for Agger.

I rate him but Rafa is the boss.

In the second paragraph you say something I'd agree, it  does seem that sometimes Rafa loses confidence all of a sudden, and it's difficult that confidence coming back. Perhaps Alonso is the exception that confirms the rule, from being ready to sell him, now it seems that if Rafa had to choose to play Mascherano or Alonso in the CL final he'd pick Alonso.

So I agree there might be some of this.

However, I'm not so sure Agger falls in this category.

Yes I also don't think Agger falls into the same "I lost faith in you" category.. not yet at least. but something tells me Rafa doesn't rate him that much anymore than before his injury.

Currently in our squad now.. I think we only have pennant who is definitely in that category, with babel who are marginally there too as well.

Prior to that.. Cisse, Bellamy and Crouch all experienced it before they left.

I am sorry if it is not very clear bcos it is just a hunch.. Many players come and go in Rafa's reign but not everyone will fall into this "I lose faith in you" category.

It is different if you are not good enough and being let go (morientes, krompkamp, josemi) bcos players in this category normally perform ok-to-well prior to leaving, often rather suddenly.

With regards to Alonso.. He has definitely turned it around after what happened in summer but had he gone in Summer.. I still wouldn't put him in this category.
milou

Postby DanAn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:42 am

bavlondon wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:

I would especially given that Hyypia is getting on a bit now. Once he leaves/retires Rafa will have to bring someone in anyway so why waste time brining someone new in and waiting for them to settle when he has a quality CB in Agger already? The only reason I can think of is that he needs the money as the owners wont give him anything until he sells.

Because Agger is not the same type of player Hyypia is. Hyypia is a tall CB that wins majority of aerial balls and is a major threat at Att Corners. Agger while a great player does not play the same way Sammy does. He is more like Carra.

Even with Agger we still need someone to matchup on guys like Crouch and Santa Cruiz.
DanAn

Postby Dundalk » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Does anyone think Agger has done enough to keep his place in the team now that Skrtel is back?

I think he has especially in the last few games and although Martin is obviously not going to just walk back into the team, who would be your starting 2 at the back?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Of course he has. But it doesn't matter is im sure he will be sold soon. If it's true he rejected a 75k per week deal he can feck right of the greedy little :censored:.
Last edited by tubby on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:42 pm

I dont think he is going to be sold.

Unless there is personal problems with him (and I know there has been a few rumours) I think Rafa would be mad to get rid of him
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:44 pm

DanAn wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:

Because Agger is not the same type of player Hyypia is. Hyypia is a tall CB that wins majority of aerial balls and is a major threat at Att Corners. Agger while a great player does not play the same way Sammy does. He is more like Carra.

Even with Agger we still need someone to matchup on guys like Crouch and Santa Cruiz.

skertel
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Does he have a release clause in his contract for 7Mil?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:46 am

Rafa, renew the lad's contract. The player wants to stay, and the player is quality. Agger has gone through the most critic moment for a young CB, and he has gone through that in a top club. Only players that are good enough are able to cope with that pressure. With experience, Agger will be top of the top. Once the most difficult part of the learning has been done he can't go somewhere else so that another club takes the fruits of our work.

Rafa, the lad want to stay, the lad deserves it. You're not always going to be as lucky as you were with Alonso when you played with his future, so sort this one out! Please!
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:06 am

Sabre wrote:You're not always going to be as lucky as you were with Alonso when you played with his future, so sort this one out! Please!

See what I mean, lucky manager  :D .

I hope though that he keeps Agger, or more to the point that Agger wants to stay. I think the fact that the English League and English football is much better than it's Italian equivalent should be enough. Ask Mourinho, he's top fo the league over there and bored sh!tless.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:36 am

I stuck this in the transfer thread , so may as well stick it in here and expand a bit on it :-

Considering that last season it was widely touted that the injury to Agger was one of the reasons we never made a title challenge , I am a little surprised to see that his "stock" has dropped so low so fast.

I think he is a very good player who perhaps needs a Hyypia beside him rather than a Carra. While not physically as strong or dominant in the air as I would like, he reads the game well enough, tackles well, and carries the ball very well. Yes there are better players, but we couldn't afford them or they are getting on in years.

My worry with Agger has always been whether he can physically cope with some of the more robust players in the prem. Not just the forwards, but CB's at corners and freeckicks etc. While its easy to say let Carra, Skrtel or Hyypia deal with the more physical players, the opposition aren't alway so co-operative and can and will target a player if they perceive a weakness in their game.

I thought before his injury he was gradually coming to terms with this aspect of the game, but since his injury he has again struggled to cope. (I thought he did well against Preston though.)
account deleted by request

Postby JamCar05 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:05 pm

bavlondon wrote:Of course he has. But it doesn't matter is im sure he will be sold soon. If it's true he rejected a 75k per week deal he can feck right of the greedy little :censored:.

So you don't know if it's actually true, yet you've already come to the conclusion that he's "a greedy little :censored:" ???

Really hope he stays, and he himself has stated he wants to, so hopefully we can get this all sorted soonish. Fingers crossed.
JamCar05

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion