Crouch the thorn in liverpool's side - Here's my take on liv vs anderlecht

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby marcus.c » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:21 am

Peter Crouch is the only constant for now, in the irony of a team called Liverpool.

Reigning champions of Europe, we look every bit the part in club football's most prestigious competition. And it was an extremely convincing 3-0 win over Anderlecht.

Full of fluid movement down the flanks, great crosses for the goals, calm and stability in the center of midfield and in defense too.

When it comes to CL, we seem to be making our rivals in Europe look like fools, but we are fools back home in EPL. While we can create and score in Europe, we don't seem to be able to do that in England. Which is the reason why we are in 13th spot in the EPL.

Yet, one thorn is always there among the blossoming and wilting flowers. And it's the "Crouching Tiger" who turns into a "Crumbling Beanstalk" everytime he gets a chance in front of goal.

At 1.98m, Crouch - a surprise pre-season buy - is starting to worry me that he may yet be a skinny version of Emile Heskey. Slowly but surely, his true heading ability is being exposed.

He often beats defenders on height alone, but his jumping prowess and "hang time" in the air for crosses pose huge question marks.

In the first minute against Anderlecht, SG played a quick one-two with Finnan, whose early cross was met by Crouch in the box.

Yet, at close range while beating his marker to the ball, he could not angle his header enough and sent it wide. It was the same thing he did in the Carling Cup knockout by Palace.

In the 21st minute, Finnan threaded a through ball to Gerrard, who beat his marker and sent a low drive across. What did Crouch do? He slid in front of his marker at near post but bundled the ball wide.

Is it any wonder why - after 11 games starts and 2 sub appearances - Crouch's personal statistics are startling to stand out like a sore thumb?

Before the game against Anderlecht, He had only 3 shots on target and suffered only 5 fouls..... in all competitions. Perhaps defenders are realising he's not worth tackling.

Because if he cannot perform up front, he's worse elsawhere.

Holding up the ball under pressure? He fails.

Trying to play the quick one-two? His touch lets him down.

Dropping back to midfield to get the ball? He only confuses his team mates.

Assists? Well, in the 49th minute, he tried to lay the ball off for Xabi as he was trailed by 2 players. Instead he laid it straight to an Anderlecht player!

But that was the only bad spot in the coat Liverpool wore in that match.

Over the past decade, managers of successful clubs have always echoed the same mantra.

Solidify your team first at home, before hoping to have a decent shot in Europe.

But at Liverpool, you get RB actually saying he'd like to experiment in Europe so he can eventually get things right back home.

Yes, it's a topsy-turvy world for us.

Morientes, who scored a delightful drive from the right side of the box, has pocketed 2 goals in the CL but none in the EPL.

Fellow Spaniard, midfielder Garcia, made good on his promise to treat us- with a beautiful glancing header when he raced in front of a defender to meet Finnan's early cross.

Then, there is the outcast Cisse, who despite being the club's top striker with 9 goals, feels he's not wanted by Benitez and I understand why.

Coming on to replace Crouch, he scored the third goal

So what did Crouch contribute? Nothing at all!

As a striker, his main objective on the field is to score goals. Don't talk about assist or holding onto the ball. If you can't score, what is the role of being a striker then?

We desperately need someone of Michael's caliber. Nothing fancy, just scoring goals - week in week out.

That is the hallmark of a great striker. Intelligence and pure instinct. Crouch lacks both. 

I am hopping Benitez will drop Crouch against Villa. Crouch has to learn the art of putting ball behind the net first. His inability of not scoring goals is hurting us at the moment.

After Benitez latest European "experiment", let’s hope he finally snip the thorn.
marcus.c

Postby Piewhack » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:02 am

marcus.c wrote:Peter Crouch is the only constant for now, in the irony of a team called Liverpool.

Why's it ironic?

I understand your frustrations with Crouch at the moment but i feel your being over critical of his performances.

True, he hasn't scored a goal yet... and i'll admit that his last couple of  performances reek of a player who has lost a bit of confidence.

He started off the season fairly well and showed that he could play some good football.

I feel your being a little harsh on the player.
He has got a good touch.
He can hold up the ball.
He also has a very good intelligence on the ball and has very good awareness of the players around him.

I think that if he had scored some of the chances he had during the first few games of the season, then he would be considered to be having a good season.. thus far the goals still delude him, but i really hope the lad gets his goals soon because i still believe that he can do the job for us.
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:46 am

:sleep
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby JohnBull » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:14 pm

marcus.c wrote:but we are fools back home in EPL. While we can create and score in Europe, we don't seem to be able to do that in England. Which is the reason why we are in 13th spot in the EPL.

There was once another big beanpole but look at the wingers he had around him.
And by the way look at our position and the number of double figure scorers we had.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:58 pm

JohnBull wrote:
marcus.c wrote:but we are fools back home in EPL. While we can create and score in Europe, we don't seem to be able to do that in England. Which is the reason why we are in 13th spot in the EPL.

And by the way look at our position and the number of double figure scorers we had.

Nice bit of memorabilia there John - thanks.

Good to see Manure 4th from bottom  :laugh:
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:10 pm

JohnBull wrote:

john, that attached image.

our away form was dire  :laugh:  lost 4 away, wtf  :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:20 pm

marcus.c wrote:Peter Crouch is the only constant for now, in the irony of a team called Liverpool.

Reigning champions of Europe, we look every bit the part in club football's most prestigious competition. And it was an extremely convincing 3-0 win over Anderlecht.

Full of fluid movement down the flanks, great crosses for the goals, calm and stability in the center of midfield and in defense too.

When it comes to CL, we seem to be making our rivals in Europe look like fools, but we are fools back home in EPL. While we can create and score in Europe, we don't seem to be able to do that in England. Which is the reason why we are in 13th spot in the EPL.

Yet, one thorn is always there among the blossoming and wilting flowers. And it's the "Crouching Tiger" who turns into a "Crumbling Beanstalk" everytime he gets a chance in front of goal.

At 1.98m, Crouch - a surprise pre-season buy - is starting to worry me that he may yet be a skinny version of Emile Heskey. Slowly but surely, his true heading ability is being exposed.

He often beats defenders on height alone, but his jumping prowess and "hang time" in the air for crosses pose huge question marks.

In the first minute against Anderlecht, SG played a quick one-two with Finnan, whose early cross was met by Crouch in the box.

Yet, at close range while beating his marker to the ball, he could not angle his header enough and sent it wide. It was the same thing he did in the Carling Cup knockout by Palace.

In the 21st minute, Finnan threaded a through ball to Gerrard, who beat his marker and sent a low drive across. What did Crouch do? He slid in front of his marker at near post but bundled the ball wide.

Is it any wonder why - after 11 games starts and 2 sub appearances - Crouch's personal statistics are startling to stand out like a sore thumb?

Before the game against Anderlecht, He had only 3 shots on target and suffered only 5 fouls..... in all competitions. Perhaps defenders are realising he's not worth tackling.

Because if he cannot perform up front, he's worse elsawhere.

Holding up the ball under pressure? He fails.

Trying to play the quick one-two? His touch lets him down.

Dropping back to midfield to get the ball? He only confuses his team mates.

Assists? Well, in the 49th minute, he tried to lay the ball off for Xabi as he was trailed by 2 players. Instead he laid it straight to an Anderlecht player!

But that was the only bad spot in the coat Liverpool wore in that match.

Over the past decade, managers of successful clubs have always echoed the same mantra.

Solidify your team first at home, before hoping to have a decent shot in Europe.

But at Liverpool, you get RB actually saying he'd like to experiment in Europe so he can eventually get things right back home.

Yes, it's a topsy-turvy world for us.

Morientes, who scored a delightful drive from the right side of the box, has pocketed 2 goals in the CL but none in the EPL.

Fellow Spaniard, midfielder Garcia, made good on his promise to treat us- with a beautiful glancing header when he raced in front of a defender to meet Finnan's early cross.

Then, there is the outcast Cisse, who despite being the club's top striker with 9 goals, feels he's not wanted by Benitez and I understand why.

Coming on to replace Crouch, he scored the third goal

So what did Crouch contribute? Nothing at all!

As a striker, his main objective on the field is to score goals. Don't talk about assist or holding onto the ball. If you can't score, what is the role of being a striker then?

We desperately need someone of Michael's caliber. Nothing fancy, just scoring goals - week in week out.

That is the hallmark of a great striker. Intelligence and pure instinct. Crouch lacks both. 

I am hopping Benitez will drop Crouch against Villa. Crouch has to learn the art of putting ball behind the net first. His inability of not scoring goals is hurting us at the moment.

After Benitez latest European "experiment", let’s hope he finally snip the thorn.

are you on purpose typing so much :censored: this and the west ham one has got to be the most mindless drivell on this site  :Oo:
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby supersub » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:36 pm

Take no notice marcus;It's a well written piece,although I do believe you are being over critical of Peter Crouch.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:43 pm

I think Crouchie is a good player & the stick that he receives from supporters of other clubs & England fans is bang out of order. As previously said, he has a good first touch, holds the ball up well, links the play excellently & has a good awareness of players around him. However, it is clear that the stick that he has received from the media and other supporters & the lack of goals is wrecking his confidence. As funny as it may sound, the worst thing that ever happened to Crouch was getting picked for England.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby marcus.c » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:49 pm

Piewhack wrote:I think that if he had scored some of the chances he had during the first few games of the season, then he would be considered to be having a good season.. thus far the goals still delude him, but i really hope the lad gets his goals soon because i still believe that he can do the job for us.

I don't think I am being harsh here. In my opinion, he has been given enough time to perform. He is not someone from elsewhere that needs time to adapt.

We have been hopping that things would turn round the corner and constantly defending players that have not been performing.
What we ought to do, is to recognize that there is a problem here.

We should be vying for the league title. But look where we are now? Instead a club of Wigan proportion is now way above us.

We got to ask ourselves what is wrong. Are our players hungry enough?   

Where is the top striker that was promised?

Crouch?

I really do hope he would prove me wrong.
marcus.c

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:54 pm

stmichael wrote:I think Crouchie is a good player & a stick

good observation stmike  :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welsh wizzard » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:46 pm

stmichael i agree with you 100% i think crouch is a quality player when he is full of confidence. But at the moment its getting to him, what could that have felt like to the poor lad coming on as sub and getting booed from his own england fans. No wonder he has lost his confidence and it has all stemmed from that moment he started the season well, I agree with you getting picked for england is the worst case senario that could have happened to him. He was a bigbird waiting to be shot at from all angles. I just hope he gets a goal very quickly, and goes on a good run he has the ability to do it, and then he would have rammed the media and them idiotic fans who booed him  up there hairy butts.
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:36 pm

Rushie (although Crouchy is NO Rush) took a good while to get going. Seem to remember him blanking for a good while.
I'm happy with Crouch and at least there's always at least two of the opposition defence taken up with him, it's a pity that the extra space isn't being capitalised on.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:40 pm

I was quite looking forward to seeing Crouch playing in a Liverpool shirt. I thought £7 million was a bit steep though. After seeing him lately, he looks every bit the waste of money everyone was saying in the summer (by everyone I mean tv/press/newspapers/opposing fans). I was at Anfield the other night, his positional sense was awful. If the booing of him for England has affected his confidence then he should get over it - and quick, because it won't be long before he's getting the same at Anfield too (personally I wouldn't boo anyone, but plenty of others around me were getting pretty irate on tuesday night). We can't afford to have another striker who needs mothering - we did that with Heskey for too long.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:54 pm

JohnBull wrote:

We are top, but after 28 games, and whilst I do not think we will be there at the end of the season, we WILL be in the top three/four teams. Also dont wanna sound an :censored: but only two players are in double figures after 28 games, Toshack on 17 and Keegan on 12, not sure what your point is there JohnBull mate?
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion