Crouch coming to anfield? - Deal close?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mighty mo » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:30 pm

i don't why we would go for crouch ,he has played for six clubs already in his short career so that tells you he is not that great a player.also he is not that prolific and that reminds me of heskey.  :(
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:01 pm

marcus.c wrote:Crouch is a raw talent but I do not think he will fit into the squad. He is more of a KP sort of player. We do not have the time to develop him. What we need is someone that has been proven. We need players that have been with top clubs, tasted glory and have the passion for more glory.   

I think RB would be thinking of getting a proven goal scorer, someone like Fernando Torres would fit the bill. He is fast, strong, skillful and most important he can score goals from anywhere. I personally rate him very highly.

If Eto has really fallen out with his manager as what the newspapers have reported. I would say lets make an attempt to get Eto, he is extremely quick and have an eye for goal.

Marcus - Torres and E'to are Champ Man signings -  i think you're living in dreamland if you think we can go out and sign either of these two players. Both are considered among the cream of strikers in the game right now. European Champs or not, we would have competition from all of the big guns and any transfer fee would be astronomical.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:50 pm

dxavier wrote:Again, I am left in shock. Why does everyone have to immediately criticise because Crouch looks like a lanky pole? I remember clearly that Arsenal Fans had the same thoughts about Kanu when he arrived and he turned out to be amazing. If anyone had actually seen him play, they would realise that Crouch is a very similar player to Kanu and unlike Kanu, he will probably still want to give his all every week instead of going off the boil the minute he has made a name for himself as Kanu did. Crouch has superior ability in the air and very good ball control. Benitez is also a manager who we now love and respect and I think it is out of order that you all doubt Crouch so much. I wonder if we do sign him, how many of you will be back on here eating humble pie when Crouch scores more goals than Baros did this season. Oh dear, I stand corrected, Crouch already did score more goals than Baros did this season and in fact (Baros - 13, Crouch -16), he scored more than any Liverpool player did this season, yet, everyone here is scared of getting a player who has scored more than our three joint top scorers of Baros, Gerrard and Garcia. I hate when people get on the band wagon to have a go at a player without the facts. If he came to Liverpool and was a third choice striker behind Cisse and Morientes, I would be very happy with 16 goals from him.

How much do you pay for you Peter Crouch fan club membership also do you run his website?  :p
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:42 pm

Cant believe this aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh just imagine nando and crouch up front to players who header the ball and you dont see chelsea manure arsenal barca madrid trying to bu him he is utter ******* ******* *** ***** ****** ***t
kopite

Postby Doeboy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:49 pm

Crouch - His ability on the deck is not of the standard we require. Southampton played to his strengths (high balls into the box), thats why he managed to score the amount of goals in the latter stages of the season. If he came to Liverpool, we would not be playing that way and he would not be that effective. If he had more quality on the deck he could be considered.
Doeboy

Postby neilE » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:10 am

I think what this comes down to is how far are we going to accept new players who are not good enough for a team looking to challenge for the league - yet anyway. The posts here about our chances of getting the best players around are valid, but we've picked up players like Alonso and Morientes cos they want to play for Benitez, and are happy to play for us. Benitez has a head start on anyone else outside Spain for players based there, so we've got a chance of the likes of Eto'o or Torres, and the attraction of playing for the European champions must count  - so - Do we spend all our money on one or two class players, or buy a new squad of possibles?
neilE

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:38 am

If Liverpool sign Crouch we has serious issues. European Champions don't sign overrated beanpoles like Crouch, who has only had 1 good season, and then that wasn't that amazing seeing as he couldn't keep them up.

Whats the good in spending 5m on a player to warm the bench??

I totally agreed with the posts before - i'd prefer Heskey back
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:06 am

Adebisi wrote:That was a good point made about the Koller/Baros partnership, I'd  say Crouch could be a similar player to Koller though perhaps not as strong at the moment but that could be worked on. Both seem to be very silky for their size and some teams find it hard to defend against a forward of such stature, teams will sit deep due to fear of the long ball.

If Baros stays then could be potentially fruitful partnership (to bring on as two subs for last 20 min :p)

But if not Crouch then we should just sign Koller :D

Teams sit deep against players who are good in the air?

So do they defend a high-line against players who are fast?

Well that makes sense. Lets play a deep game against players that are good at bringing the ball down and laying it off for others to have a shot and also so as wingers can get crosses in.

And against Quick strikers lets give them all the space in the world to run into behind us.

Its the other way round ya tool.
115-1073096938

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:07 am

:(    low is me
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:34 pm

according to media watch from Liverpoolfc.TV,

"Liverpool are reportedly close to signing Southampton's lanky forward Peter Crouch for £5m.The 6ft 7 in front man impressed for the Saints as they battled against relegation, scoring 16 goals.Reds boss Rafael Benitez sees Crouch as an alternative to the strikers already at the club as he looks to reshape his squad to mount a serious challenge to the top three next season."
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby Adebisi » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:49 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Adebisi wrote:That was a good point made about the Koller/Baros partnership, I'd  say Crouch could be a similar player to Koller though perhaps not as strong at the moment but that could be worked on. Both seem to be very silky for their size and some teams find it hard to defend against a forward of such stature, teams will sit deep due to fear of the long ball.

If Baros stays then could be potentially fruitful partnership (to bring on as two subs for last 20 min :p)

But if not Crouch then we should just sign Koller :D

Teams sit deep against players who are good in the air?

So do they defend a high-line against players who are fast?

Well that makes sense. Lets play a deep game against players that are good at bringing the ball down and laying it off for others to have a shot and also so as wingers can get crosses in.

And against Quick strikers lets give them all the space in the world to run into behind us.

Its the other way round ya tool.

:blush:
yeah thats what I meant, honestly guvnor
Adebisi

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:13 pm

:D
115-1073096938

Postby 65-1114725958 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:01 pm

I saw it on the local TV news that there was some interest for Crouch, but he hasn't played well enough to warrant a move to anfield.

Today coming through on the news though, is the fact that Raul of madrid was being linked to Anfield, as he supposedly fancied a change from madrid, and his mate is Nando, whom he has travelled over from spain a few times to see.

thing is though, if i am correct, didnt Raul have a very lean spell of scoring whilst Owen couldnt get a game at the bernabau?
65-1114725958

Postby Red Macgregor » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:43 pm

Absolute nonsense, Heskey is better than Crouch! Sheer waste of money! This has to be paper talk, I can't think that Rafa should be interested, even if were available on a Bosman.
Red Macgregor

Postby stmichael » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:57 pm

I suppose one advantage is that someone like Crouch won't really care if he's in the Champions League or not. He's probably not in the top 100 strikers in world football, let alone the top ten. But even the tallest defenders can find him 'unplayable' at times as did ours at St Marys earlier in the season.

While Rafa will also want to add some top class international players over the summer, I'd be happy to see him add some effective 'alternatives', especially for the Premiership. Crouch wouldn't arrive to be first choice, he would be purchased to give a different option. With the quickest striker in the league (Cissé), it would offer a nice counterpoint to have the tallest.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion