Crouch coming to anfield? - Deal close?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby KARMANI » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:32 am

Motson to Le Saux: "So tell me Graham, you've played with Crouch before. Has he got any qualities down below??"

And then Le Saux went on to say; "Michael Owen could build a really good relationship with Peter"

:D  :D
KARMANI

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:36 am

I'd absolutely welcome Crouch as an option for up front. He'll win every ball in the air, but - as others have said - he can bring it down and move with it as well. Something that people haven't touched upon is that he's damn quick, and can turn remarkably quickly for someone so tall. Last summer I was excited by rumours of Ibrahimovic coming to the club, and Crouch offers most of the attributes that he has.

Also, while people have moaned about the clubs that he's played for and the fact that he's not a 20 goals a season player, I ask them this - isn't the fact that he's caught the eye playing for a lesser club offering less than top quality service cause to be excited by him being part of a team that can put it on his forehead 6 or 7 times out of 10?
ivor_the_injun

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:56 pm

well its all over the back of tonights echo that he`s on his way. apparently rafa reckons in away games last season the lack of anyone who could hold the ball up cost us dear.
the echo usually is quite accurate when it comes to transfer talk.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:29 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:well its all over the back of tonights echo that he`s on his way. apparently rafa reckons in away games last season the lack of anyone who could hold the ball up cost us dear.
the echo usually is quite accurate when it comes to transfer talk.

just to re-iterate what i posted earlier radio merseyside news mentioned liverpool are trying to tie up the signitures of peter crouch and bolo zenden. zenden would be on a free as he is out of contract in july and his father has told radio merseyside rafa has been in contact with bolo. crouch will cost around 5m apparently.
interesting...........

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:39 pm

I would take Crouch for 5 Mil. He may not be a world beater, but he could provide a different and useful option for us. He seems to fit the Rafa striker mould well, playing with his back to goal and passing well.

For 5 MIL it isn't bad at all, he would be playing second fiddle to other stikers but there would be no great surprise or outrage if he were not in the team every week.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:41 pm

we dont need crouch tho. maybe its just me but we need something special, and crouch just isnt that person. We need a world beater, a poacher, someone whos gonna knock em in for us. we got big power with cisse and mori, got little skills with la  tallec pongolle and baros, we just need that poaching player...

.. apparently theres this little lad plays for real but isnt playing as much as hed like...
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:45 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I would take Crouch for 5 Mil. He may not be a world beater, but he could provide a different and useful option for us. He seems to fit the Rafa striker mould well, playing with his back to goal and passing well.

For 5 MIL it isn't bad at all, he would be playing second fiddle to other stikers but there would be no great surprise or outrage if he were not in the team every week.

thats pretty much the way i look at it, i dont think he should be the spearhead of our attack but he`s definately an option to come on from the bench if we`re struggling, especially away. he`s decent on the deck for such a tall fella too.

yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:46 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I would take Crouch for 5 Mil. He may not be a world beater, but he could provide a different and useful option for us. He seems to fit the Rafa striker mould well, playing with his back to goal and passing well.

Are you insane? £5million for a striker who has had half a good season? U might as well flush the money down the loo. Players don't have to be 6'7 to do the job he does.
Doeboy

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:59 pm

Doeboy wrote:

Are you insane? £5million for a striker who has had half a good season? U might as well flush the money down the loo. Players don't have to be 6'7 to do the job he does.

First of all, no I am not insane.

Secondly it wouldn’t really be flushing 5 MIL down the toilet. 5 Mil for an England international who scored goals in a team that got relegated. Even if he had a poor season we would at least recoup half of that or maybe even all of what we paid for him. And no you don't have to be 6'7 to the job he does but it doesn’t do any harm.

The point is where not looking for a first team striker. There is only 1 out and out striker birth available in Rafa's system, and Morientes and Cisse deserve the chance the prove themselves. We need someone to provide some good competition, but someone who would not expect to start every match.

Well we could always spend 10 Mil on some player from abroad who may or may not adjust, then cause trouble when he is not first choice, and no other club will take him of our hand so we will have to pay him wages for the next 4 years even though he doesn’t make the first team squad.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:08 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Doeboy wrote:

Secondly it wouldn’t really be flushing 5 MIL down the toilet. 5 Mil for an England international who scored goals in a team that got relegated. Even if he had a poor season we would at least recoup half of that or maybe even all of what we paid for him. And no you don't have to be 6'7 to the job he does but it doesn’t do any harm.

The point is where not looking for a first team striker. There is only 1 out and out striker birth available in Rafa's system, and Morientes and Cisse deserve the chance the prove themselves. We need someone to provide some good competition, but someone who would not expect to start every match.

Well we could always spend 10 Mil on some player from abroad who may or may not adjust, then cause trouble when he is not first choice, and no other club will take him of our hand so we will have to pay him wages for the next 4 years even though he doesn’t make the first team squad.

£5 million for an England international? Sorry that doesn't mean anything. When the likes of Luke Young can gain international recognition that tells you everything about the current state of affairs. SGE has been handing out international call ups like theres no tomorrow recently.
His only scored his goals in the last half of the season and has struggled to make an impression in previous seasons. Remember Kevin Phillips?? Played for England? Had that ONE season where he scored a hatful of goals?
We are the Champions of Europe, we should have better players options on the bench than Crouch next season.

Now that Crouch has got a international cap, do you think he would sit on the bench next season knowing theres a world cup in the summer? Wouldn't he cause a fuss??

We don't have to spend £10 million on a back up striker. For £5 million you could go abroad and get a better striker than Crouch
Doeboy

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:37 pm

Doeboy wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Doeboy wrote:

£5 million for an England international? Sorry that doesn't mean anything. When the likes of Luke Young can gain international recognition that tells you everything about the current state of affairs. SGE has been handing out international call ups like theres no tomorrow recently.
His only scored his goals in the last half of the season and has struggled to make an impression in previous seasons. Remember Kevin Phillips?? Played for England? Had that ONE season where he scored a hatful of goals?
We are the Champions of Europe, we should have better players options on the bench than Crouch next season.

Now that Crouch has got a international cap, do you think he would sit on the bench next season knowing theres a world cup in the summer? Wouldn't he cause a fuss??

We don't have to spend £10 million on a back up striker. For £5 million you could go abroad and get a better striker than Crouch

Luke Young will most likely never be in the squad again, everyone knows that the tour was a farce in terms of the players that went. But Crouch is a player who could seriously be considered to be in the squad when everyone is fit. Owen, Rooney and Defoe are certain, if Crouch can keep scoring and playing well I'm sure he would be selected ahead of Smith and Heskey.

When I have seen Crouch play he has looked a good player. He is obviously a threat in the air, but he is also good on the ball, good awareness and passes well. I think some people have this syndrome against unfashionable English players and some people have a syndrome against foreigners. All I do is watch a player play as many times as I can and then make a judgement, and I think that Crouch is a decent player who is worth 5 MIL and would add something to our attack.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:55 pm

If Benitez is keen to bring a towering frontman to add strength to the attack then why let Heskey go. I didnt rate Heskey, but hes got to be as good as this lad Crouch. If Im not mistaken Graham Taylor took him to Villa where he warmed the bench after some unimpressive displays. Never got going there, but Southampton took him on the cheap to cover Beattie. He got a run when Beattie left and knocked in a few, then suddenly hes in the England party. Not that he will be going to Germany. I think this could turn out very wrong and hope to God we dont throw money at this player. Big no  :no
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Indian » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:57 pm

I think he'd make a good player. Plus as he's English and played in the prem, it won't take him long to settle in. Spending £5m+ on a foreign 'world class player' would prove to be a much bigger gamble.  Morientes was supposed to be and still is class, but playing in the Premiership is a different ball game compared to anywhere else in the world, the contrast in Crespo for Chelsea & Milan proves that.
Red Indian

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:02 pm

crouch and zenden? i think a lot of people posting who they want to join our ranks will be dissapointed on here but we`ve got to let rafa get on with the job. the fella`s proved he knows what he`s doing beyond doubt.
the echo and radio merseyside aren`t the tabloid press and they are usually right 90% of the time.
dont forget crouch looks like he`s coming for five million and zendens on a free so rafa`s still got a war chest of around 25m+ so we can still expect some big names later on in the summer.

yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:07 pm

Ignoring the issue of quality, you are contradicting yourself sir.

In an earlier post you said

'For 5 MIL it isn't bad at all, he would be playing second fiddle to other stikers but there would be no great surprise or outrage if he were not in the team every week.Well we could always spend 10 Mil on some player from abroad who may or may not adjust, then cause trouble when he is not first choice, and no other club will take him of our hand so we will have to pay him wages for the next 4 years even though he doesn’t make the first team squad.'
then you said

'Crouch is a player who could seriously be considered to be in the squad when everyone is fit'

If you were Crouch and you knew you had a chance you could goto the WC, would you want to play second fiddle in the season before a WC? Wouldn't he kick up a fuss? SGE is going to pick players who are playing regularly, the only exceptions being established players such as Owen, Beckham etc who have proved their ability on the international stage.
Crouch is on the fringes of the England squad and at the very least needs to play regularly next season to stand any chance of getting into the squad. He would not be a regular at Liverpool if he was to arrive. 

You also went onto add:

'I think some people have this syndrome against unfashionable English players and some people have a syndrome against foreigners'

after saying

'Well we could always spend 10 Mil on some player from abroad who may or may not adjust, then cause trouble when he is not first choice, and no other club will take him of our hand so we will have to pay him wages for the next 4 years even though he doesn’t make the first team squad'

Isn't there a hint of that very syndrome you refer to in the above statement you made?[/B][B]
Doeboy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion