Costliest draws - Let's discuss

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat May 09, 2009 4:12 pm

the arsenal draws arent that costly compared to stoke, fulham, hull and west ham. we were expected, and rightly so, to beat those 4 clubs with no hiccups.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby mrcool2003 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:10 pm

2) LFC 0 - 0 Stoke (Sept. 20)   
(3) LFC 0 - 0 Fulham (Nov. 22)   
(4) LFC 0 - 0 West Ham (Dec. 1)   
(5) LFC 2 - 2 Hull City (Dec. 13)

These home games, should be beating all these teams at home, we've progressed though.
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:26 pm

I think the Fulham draw saw the decline in our performance leading to Xmas, which is where i may be lost.
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Sat May 09, 2009 9:56 pm

they all cost points in the end. For me the most costly are the ones we most expected to win. When watching the season review in th summer I'll say the same thing regarding all of them, thats if we dont win the title  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Kharhaz » Sat May 09, 2009 10:20 pm

bigmick wrote:Ultimately though, our fault in the Home games in particular was in set up and ambition.

I was going to make that point after I read the replies. At times, especially against lesser opponents at Anfield, we were so negative it was extremely annoying. It was this attitude that seemed to create disillusionment amongst many supporters. However, since rafa got his contract and "went for it" the team has gone on an excellent run showing what this team can do when they adopt a positive attitude. Yes we have leaked goals and got a couple of high scoring draws (including champs league) but there is a massive difference in drawing 4-4 than to 0-0. The positive one being, at least we went for it, the negative, well 1 point is better than none. And the negative reply is bottom of the barrel stuff. Look at the attitudes of supporters after the chelsea 4-4 game. Almost all of us were proud of the effort, but if it ended 0-0 there would have been an uproar.

All in all, my point being, a majority of the draws cost us because of our attitude approaching those games. Hopefully next season, our lesson will have been learned.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Sat May 09, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon May 11, 2009 10:19 am

The month of January cost us dear.

Ludicrous selection away at Stoke. Daft penalty given away by Lucas at Wigan when cruising to a 1-0 win and a daft free kick given away by Benayoun against Everton in the last minute followed by abysmal marking.

We lost all our momentum in those three games, sandwiched in between two awful perormances against Everton in the cup.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:26 am

hull and stoke at home are the ones that stand out the most

we should have won both easy it is a shame that it has come to results like these that might stop us winning the league :angry:
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon May 11, 2009 2:31 pm

The Spurs loss was a crime against football, we battered them for the whole game, their only shot on target ended up in the back of the net and Carra had the misfortune to steer the ball past Pepe as well. Stoke at home we had a perfectly good goal disallowed which quite possibly would have changed how the entire game panned out.

That's five points right there, which would have left us only one behind the Scum and they would not be feeling anything like as comfortable as they do right now.

The other games were all horrible, and I suspect that the addition of just one or two players in the summer should hopefully give us the extra inventiveness and ammunition going forward to turn a lot of those draws into wins for us.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 11, 2009 4:30 pm

stmichael wrote:The month of January cost us dear.

Ludicrous selection away at Stoke. Daft penalty given away by Lucas at Wigan when cruising to a 1-0 win and a daft free kick given away by Benayoun against Everton in the last minute followed by abysmal marking.

We lost all our momentum in those three games, sandwiched in between two awful perormances against Everton in the cup.

I'd have to agree with that.  As much as we would and should expect to beat the likes of Stoke, Hull, Fulham and West Ham at home, I think the manner of our draws with Wigan and Everton were particularly galling.  Throw in the second draw with Stoke when we knew the Mancs were finding form and we were clinging to the league lead by the fingernails and January was the bliiiiip that really stalled momentum and handed the initiative to United--initiative we almost got back after beating them at Old Trafford and seeing them lose to Fulham...only for them to find their feet again after another poorly-timed international break.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Gerrard30391 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:44 pm

stmichael wrote:The other games were all horrible, and I suspect that the addition of just one or two players in the summer should hopefully give us the extra inventiveness and ammunition going forward to turn a lot of those draws into wins for us.

So who are you going to take out of the midfield/attack to allow for these players? I think the defensive side needs more of a look at.
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion