Comparison of era's

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:43 pm

can anyone remember a time during, particularly the 80's. when we weren't popular?  when for over a decade our sides had been ramming results left right and centre down the throats of our contemporaries. throwing most of the book back at them and in the process re-writing it.
we were labelled as 'boring' also. we were accused of suffocating opposition...also. it was thought however, within the circles that mattered at least that, we were a side capable of beating anybody,never mind had they been going through their own resurgence...most of what stood before LFC were wiped away. time and again. i remember at school, learning by experience the art of defending my chosen team well. and the bandwagon jumpers certainly it seemed were only too eager to 'hop-on' after they had witnessed their own teams submission...i lost track of the amount of 'mancs' and 'bitters' then who must have thought something along the lines of... :censored: it, if you cant beat 'em..... .there were not that many viable alternatives around to support as rewardingly as ours then were there? at least on a local scale.. if you came from the north-west the options were limited to.. er....one i recall. unless you were in love with lou macari?? or god knows who else that flapped his way into obscurity.
from the time on from about the mid-seventies liverpool football club had been growing stronger almost week by week. and certainly with each new signing recruited. as one left, his equal usually came in. frequently his better.
and this continued virtually unabated until the late eighties at least. or lets say roughly around the time of the departure of dalglish anyway.  at least it came through the realization of the manager that it was 'time to move on'. some may still question his wisdom stood against his state of mind in that period. and had things worked differently, who knows whether the club would have regained its prowess sooner.?
since the reign of souness however, any comparisons currently being offered in this topic are on the whole both very null and clearly void of any merit.

save to say this, in the nineties there came a barren time for this club. compared to what had previously happened. and it was man.utd that prevailed.
now, in the 'naughties' we have seen the influence of arsenal coupled with the ailing red devils. we have witnessed 'good times' at our own football club also. significant good times.
but, we stand on the verge of realising if not therefore 'stomaching' the prospect that once again a side/squad? (unfair point to compare)?
could well dominate for another decade.
records are there to be broken. look at ian wright's. although a matter of time is involved. inevitably they fall. eventually they become surmountable.

so, this is the state of play now. catch-up. like it or lump it. and unless anyone here is for defecting to the west ( of london)  :D i bet there have been many... its a life we can only hope changes sooner than our own reign lasted. 100 points or not. it is wrong and it is unjust to ask whether chelsea could achieve them.  from our standpoint.
it is however absolutely essential, that we make every effort to improve our own house. for one day, the money will run out. and where would we be if we were still stood there gawping in awe of their achievements? if we were so far behind by then that any attempt to capitalise floundered. second best thats where. re: philosophy of shanks.

never mind all these. pay no attention to records about that and the other. or how many trophies they'll have after ten years! let them get 100 points. b.ollox if they go a full season without even conceding! who cares? of course only their own kind do. fair play. weve had things like that to 'gloat' over too.

you only have to follow the timeline of events at liverpool. and hope chelsea will make critical mistakes along the way.
then be equipped to pounce!
dont be in wonder at them. the game has changed vastly. there is now room for more than one idol. and anyway, we should know all about that.  its just cycles. the question for rafa is.. how long do you let them last for.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby thegreedo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:57 pm

Good post red. Keep 'em comin'.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:58 pm

F*cking great post mate. :cool: :cool:
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:22 pm

Well said mate
Had to have a laugh today when Abromovich stated that he wants chelsea to dominate football for 100 years:laugh:
I cant see their cycle lasting to the next decade ffs never mind that long.
In time they will be their own worst enemy.
They cant possibly keep buying the best players every season and have players on their bench,wasted and idle in their primes.
Players sitting on their backends every week who are capable of walking into any team in europe will soon become bored of the chelsea novelty and move on.
Soon players wont want to go to the bridge as they know full well they may rarely get a game and even if they do next season they will be replaced by the current 'best around'
Chelsea are a novelty now,ffs their own fans are getting bored already they cant fill the ground most weeks.
Dont think it will be too long  before the cracks appear from within.
66-1120597113

Postby Dundalk » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:37 pm

roman will eventually give in and get bored off the chelsea then its leeds united the sequal - bigger, better and more blood !! :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:34 pm

how many of these do chelsea have?

like the song says jose......

"we won it at wem-bly
we won it in gay paris...
in 77 and 84 it was rome..

weve won it 5 times
weve won it 5 times...
in istanbul
we won it 5 times"

chew on that  :buttrock

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mikz » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:06 am

I take my hat off to them,even tho im not wearin one,I think theyre a helluva team :D And i think its obvious they will get even better. Its only a matter of time before they get success in europe .Its easy to say theyve got the money behind them but lets be honest about it -theyve spent well and hes assembled a cocky confident bunch a fcukkers who dont think they can lose. If one of their players is off tune another one is on...and when the defence slips up that czeh guy is another obstacle...ah well it least is not united
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion