CL 1ST GROUP STAGE DRAW - bordeaux, galatasaray and PSV

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:54 am

And the Cup winners Cup.

They should bring that back.

Replace the "Super Cup" with the "UEFA Cup Winners Cup"

"UEFA Champions League" winner vs "UEFA Cup" winner.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:08 am

BarryBelfast wrote:
soccerfreek421 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
soccerfreek421 wrote:I understand the Premiership has a trophy for the regular season and then another trophy for the "post-season".  Which is more prized?  By the way, I got this information of Wikipedia so if I am off by a lot that's where I got my information.

I may be misinterpreting your post but in case I'm not...

There is no traditional "post season" in English football.  That is, there is no regular season, where teams fight for places, followed by a play-offs, where the top teams play head-to-head series to determine a winner.

In the premiership there is a straight 38 game season for all 20 teams.  The team that wins the most points by the end of the season (mid-May) is the champion and receives the corresponding league trophy.  That's been Chelsea the last two seasons.

Running concurrently to all of that are two cup competitions--the Carling Cup and the FA Cup.  These are separate tournaments that are open to all the teams in any division of English football (if I'm not mistaken).  Thankfully, big teams, like Liverpool, do not need to play in the earlier rounds, when all of the lower-league minnows battle it out.  Liverpool will enter both competitions at a later stage.  In each round of a cup competition, two teams are drawn against one another and play a one-off game.  The winner progresses to the next round.

Of the two, the Carling Cup is the least prestigious.  It's kicked off already for teams in the lower divisions and Liverpool will have a match in a month or two (I think?).  The final is in February.  The FA Cup is the more prestigious and has a long history of glory.  That one doesn't really heat up until the New Year and the final is played near the end of the league season in May.

Thanks for clearing that up.  In other words (just ranking the different trophies available), the Champions League is the most prized, then the UEFA Cup???, League Championship (which in most case would be more adored than the UEFA Cup probably), FA Cup, then the Carling Cup.  Am I getting this right so far??

No!!

The domestic title is a more prized trophy as this is played week in week out over the season!The champions League is a massive trophy but most fans and players would get more satisfaction and pride from winning the EPL (English Premier League)

A teams journey into the Champions League is determined by there finishing position in the EPL,usually the top 4 in England progress with the 3rd and 4th needing to qualify!
Basically if there was no domestic football there would be no Champions League!!

I think it depends which trophy u would rather win depending on the current circumstances and the club you support. Atm we would rather win the Premiership because it would give us the satisfaction that we have proved to be the current best team in the country and also becuase we've won the Champions League so many times its becoming too easy:D.

I know the Chelsea supporters would much rather win the Champions League atm and so would Arsenal probably. The mancs are about 50-50.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby weringo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:10 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:
And the Cup winners Cup.

So really just changing the name of the Super Cup to the Cup Winners Cup? I think that would confuse people to how many times teams have won the Super Cup and the old Cup Winners Cup
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:12 am

So really just changing the name of the Super Cup to the Cup Winners Cup? I think that would confuse people to how many times teams have won the Super Cup and the old Cup Winners Cup

Yeah, it's basically a name and trophy design change.

I don't think it would cause much confusion. It could simply be considered a continuation of the old CWC lineage with the lesser known SC lineage discontinued.
Last edited by The Manhattan Project on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:58 am

PSV
Benfica
Galatasaray

My predicitions.

Anyone see that Thatcher last night?  That was fu.cking naughty.  Asault charge for him.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Anfield rapper » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:26 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:
And the Cup winners Cup.

I think that would confuse some people because the cup winners cup used to be a competition on its own. The FA cup winners playing teams who have won cups from other European countries.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby alessandromagno » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:44 am

GH did bring Liverpool back from the edge. However, the BIG 2 was a step too far and I feel he was too defensively minded to have much chance of winning either.

Nice to be able to relax and speculate about who we might get in the draw now. I don't really care--though it might be good to avoid Bayern (would be big games with lots of atmosphere though).
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:27 am

murphy0151 wrote:Anyone see that Thatcher last night?  That was fu.cking naughty.  Asault charge for him.

Not being funny but that was one of the worst challenges i have seen in football. He runs at full pelt into Mendes (who is also running at some speed) then smashes him in the face with an elbow. It was sickening and i really think the lad deserves a ban of about 10 games. He could smashed his whole face to bits or even damaged his sight.
On MOTD last night they said he had to stay in hospital over night but was stable.
Thatcher is a f'ckin animal and should be seriously penalised with a massive ban.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:32 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:Anyone see that Thatcher last night?  That was fu.cking naughty.  Asault charge for him.

Not being funny but that was one of the worst challenges i have seen in football. He runs at full pelt into Mendes (who is also running at some speed) then smashes him in the face with an elbow. It was sickening and i really think the lad deserves a ban of about 10 games. He could smashed his whole face to bits or even damaged his sight.
On MOTD last night they said he had to stay in hospital over night but was stable.
Thatcher is a f'ckin animal and should be seriously penalised with a massive ban.

There was a time when Houllier was apparently keen on him at Wimbledon. But the man is a thug, that isnt the first time he's used his elbow for that.

:no
66-1112520797

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:38 am

BarryBelfast wrote:
soccerfreek421 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
soccerfreek421 wrote:I understand the Premiership has a trophy for the regular season and then another trophy for the "post-season".  Which is more prized?  By the way, I got this information of Wikipedia so if I am off by a lot that's where I got my information.

I may be misinterpreting your post but in case I'm not...

There is no traditional "post season" in English football.  That is, there is no regular season, where teams fight for places, followed by a play-offs, where the top teams play head-to-head series to determine a winner.

In the premiership there is a straight 38 game season for all 20 teams.  The team that wins the most points by the end of the season (mid-May) is the champion and receives the corresponding league trophy.  That's been Chelsea the last two seasons.

Running concurrently to all of that are two cup competitions--the Carling Cup and the FA Cup.  These are separate tournaments that are open to all the teams in any division of English football (if I'm not mistaken).  Thankfully, big teams, like Liverpool, do not need to play in the earlier rounds, when all of the lower-league minnows battle it out.  Liverpool will enter both competitions at a later stage.  In each round of a cup competition, two teams are drawn against one another and play a one-off game.  The winner progresses to the next round.

Of the two, the Carling Cup is the least prestigious.  It's kicked off already for teams in the lower divisions and Liverpool will have a match in a month or two (I think?).  The final is in February.  The FA Cup is the more prestigious and has a long history of glory.  That one doesn't really heat up until the New Year and the final is played near the end of the league season in May.

Thanks for clearing that up.  In other words (just ranking the different trophies available), the Champions League is the most prized, then the UEFA Cup???, League Championship (which in most case would be more adored than the UEFA Cup probably), FA Cup, then the Carling Cup.  Am I getting this right so far??

No!!

The domestic title is a more prized trophy

Just ask Chelsea and Arsenal  :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:32 pm

here is the link to an updated group phase list. good luck reds!

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UCL/news/Kind=1/newsId=447892.html

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:36 pm

I think Shaktar Donesk should be avioded. They are the Chelsea of the Urals dont ye know.

Celtic are sh#te but should be avoided all the same.

Porto, Bordeaux and Sofia would do just fine.

The rest of the English clubs can just go to f#ck as far as I'm concerned. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kev Huyton 2006 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:52 pm

Draws just been made Early on SKy sports news, dont know if you heard...

Group B.

Liverpool
Chelsea
Benfica
Galatasaray.

Sh*t!
Kev Huyton 2006

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:38 pm

Is that right?

A mate in another Spanish forum is saying

Group B

Liverpool
Roma
Steaua
Levski.

I think he's been taking the pi$$ on me , sorry  :D
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:39 pm

Kev Huyton 2006 wrote:Draws just been made Early on SKy sports news, dont know if you heard...

Group B.

Liverpool
Chelsea
Benfica
Galatasaray.

Sh*t!

well that's a load of sh#te because we can't draw chelsea as we're country protected. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion