CL 1ST GROUP STAGE DRAW - bordeaux, galatasaray and PSV

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC_fan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:19 am

when's the draw?
LFC_fan

Postby azriahmad » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:42 am

There are some very questionable teams in "Pot A" which was based on UEFA's rather wierd and obviously flawed seeding co-efficient calculations. Inter, Arsenal and to some extent Valencia have next to zero European pedigree and don't really deserve to be in the top seed group. That is why teams with a much better European history, past and present, like Bayern Munich, Porto and Ajax are only in "Pot B".

As for the Group stage, it is OK to have a strong team like Bayern Munich or Chelski with us as long as we have lesser teams so that we avoid these strong yet strangely so-labeled as "dark horses" (due to UEFA's strange seeding co-efficient) in the much more difficult knock-out stage as there will be more of a chance that we will be drawn into separate halves of the knock-out stage.

Last season, Chelsea got Barca because they finished second to us but it did not matter anyway because we came unstuck unexpectedly against Benfica when our team's lack of firepower from the strikers (which we all knew all along last season) came to haunt us and goals from the midfield crucially dried up.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:00 am

LFC_fan wrote:when's the draw?

Thursday
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:28 pm

Dalglish wrote:Ok , back to Topic , i hope we get Everton ! :D

unfortunately they're not in the draw due to heysel.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:38 pm

Ciggy wrote:
Dalglish wrote:GH brought LFC back from the brink mate.............. We were a club in turmoil with ill disciplined players, an inferiroity complex and journeymen....

He done a lot of good for us Ian and also bad, it was time for him to go, he wasnt well enough for the pressure the jon entailed and also the dodgey buys he brought in.
He had to leave we needed changes quick.
Think that Banner at Anfield that was removed was his final nail in his coffin TBH.

totally agree CIGGY.  GH had done a lot to modernise LFC but he had reached a point where he had taken a huge gamble and it hadn't worked.  If he had stayed, we would have gone backwards because he wouldn't accept the players he had brought in weren't good enough.

He done a lot of good for us....but he was on the brink of destroying it all, just to prove that he wasn't wrong.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:43 pm

you can bet your bottom dollar that manure and arsenal will get the easiest groups ever, they always do.

celtic, lille and liberec would probably be the ideal draw. failing that i'd like to see us get benfica so we can hammer them as revenge for last season. :nod
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:15 pm

for the trips out....

liverpool
celtic
lille
hamburg

on GH i think if he had left the season of his heart trouble he would have been remembered as a manager that turned the club around.
but he didn't and when trying to get back to the standards of the treble season he bought the dross of europe nearly drove SG out of the club, drove owen to leave as they could both see the qualilty of the player and the downard sprial that we were on, spent an absolute fortune on averager at best player
let us not forget that under evans we finished second and had a mostly young british squad the academy was churning out players left and right but the board wounldn't back evans with the check book because he had bought collymore who was talented but nuts and ince who was the bad apple that led to trouble, we tried to sign sheringham instead of collymore but the board said no , can you imagin robbie and michael at there best with a player of that class backing them up, we would have won the league
GH bought some good player but was tacticaly inept and was unable to iron out mistakes or improve consentration do you all remember the corners with jamo in goal we always looked able to concede
i made the point in another thread that i think the club went wrong by appointing dalglish as they were trying to maintain the bootroom ethos which was out dated and put the club back 20 years as we haven't recovered since then
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Kev Huyton 2006 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:15 pm

i want anyone except Lyon, Chelsea, or Benfica.

I hope the Mancs get Chelsea this time. That will be fun.
Kev Huyton 2006

Postby davo_LFC » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:34 pm

we cant get chelski can we? and neither can the mancs coz teams from the same country can only meet in the knock-out stages. We only got them last year coz we had that rule were we could get english teams in the group coz we were the 5th english team in it and they ''let us back into it'', we only won the big eared kunt but teams that qualified via the league took bigger priority hmmmmmmm...
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:35 pm

i am in the opposite camp here on GH, i regret the day the club ever appointed him. i know what the response will be 'i imagine you cheered when we won things'. of course i did, i support the club.

i still think there is more to the GH saga that is still to emerge. i think he was taking backhanders from some of the tripe he signed (i know there is investigation in france into the transfer of cisse). i think the way he handles players was a disgrace, if fowlers book is true, and i genuinely believe it is then i am surprised that anyone can defend him. he put himself before the club (and before anyone spouts :censored: about the job nearly killing him, i will say that his heart problem was not related to the job, in fact it wasnt even his heart that had the problem it was a valve leading to it}.

i lost all faith in GH when he dropped fowler for his spat with thompson, at the same time i lost a lot of respect for thompson. they put their pride before the club which i dont agree with. i dont like the way he came in and said the club was rotten and belittled the fantastic servant roy evans in doing so just to buy himself more time.i would love to draw lyon and watch robbie stick to him big style.

sorry if this shocks or upsets some people but i have difficulty even watching the guy on dvd now. like i say, there is just something about the whole saga that i cant put my finger on,  but its there
112-1077774096

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:56 pm

dward wrote:Well, we've got through to the group stage.

Here are the 4 pots of seedings:
[b]
Pot A
1 Barcelona Spa (TH)
2 Milan Ita
3 Real Madrid Spa
4 Internazionale Ita
5 Liverpool Eng
6 Arsenal Eng
7 Man. United Eng
8 Valencia Spa

Pot B
9 Lyon Fra
10 Porto Por
11 PSV Net
12 Bayern Ger
13 Chelsea Eng
14 Roma Ita
15 Ajax Net
16 Celtic Sco

Pot C
17 Lille Fra
18 Sporting Por
19 Benfica Por
20 Bordeaux Fra
21 Steaua Rom
22 Bremen Ger
23 Olympiacos Gre
24 CSKA Moskva Rus

Pot D
25 AEK Athens Gre
26 Anderlecht Bel
27 Dynamo Kyiv Ukr
28 Levski Bul
29 Shakhtar Ukr
30 Galatasaray Tur
31 Hamburg Ger
32 Liberec Cze

:D  Having so much fun looking at this (it's a slow day in Brixton the Ganga crop has failed  :D  )

Would like to see

LIVERPOOL , Celtic , Benfica , AEK .

Barcelona , CHELSEA , Olympiakos , Galatasary .

MAN U , Lyon , CSKA Moskva , Dynamo Kiev .

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:07 pm

peewee wrote:i am in the opposite camp here on GH, i regret the day the club ever appointed him. i know what the response will be 'i imagine you cheered when we won things'. of course i did, i support the club.

i still think there is more to the GH saga that is still to emerge. i think he was taking backhanders from some of the tripe he signed (i know there is investigation in france into the transfer of cisse). i think the way he handles players was a disgrace, if fowlers book is true, and i genuinely believe it is then i am surprised that anyone can defend him. he put himself before the club (and before anyone spouts :censored: about the job nearly killing him, i will say that his heart problem was not related to the job, in fact it wasnt even his heart that had the problem it was a valve leading to it}.

i lost all faith in GH when he dropped fowler for his spat with thompson, at the same time i lost a lot of respect for thompson. they put their pride before the club which i dont agree with. i dont like the way he came in and said the club was rotten and belittled the fantastic servant roy evans in doing so just to buy himself more time.i would love to draw lyon and watch robbie stick to him big style.

sorry if this shocks or upsets some people but i have difficulty even watching the guy on dvd now. like i say, there is just something about the whole saga that i cant put my finger on,  but its there

Agree with just about every word there PeeWee . Many also forget that when things went wrong it was never GH's fault (according to GH ) and I lost count of the number of times he told the media that we were about to "turn a corner ", I ended up thinking he must live on a roundabout .

Yes , he did some good things for LFC , but he was well rewarded , he made sure of that .

The day he left was one of the happiest in all my years of supporting LFC .  :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dward » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:10 pm

For some reason, I like watching draws.

I remember last season when we were drawn with Chelsea, I was writing down the groups as I only had audio.

There was 1 team left in the 2nd pot (chelsea) and we had 1 less team in our group, and it was crazy when I realised we had got chelsea.

Funny when I look back on it. :D
Last edited by dward on Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:18 pm

dward wrote:For some reason, I like watching draws.

I remember last season when we were drawn with Chelsea, I was writing down the groups as I only had audio.

There was 1 team left in the 2nd pot (chelsea) and we had 1 less team in our group, and it was crazy when I realised we had got chelsea.

Funny when I look back on it. :D

It's not just you, I like watching the draws aswell. It's exciting because you don't know who you are going to get.

Sad but there you go  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:22 pm

Wouldnt mind Celtic myself. :D
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<