CL 1ST GROUP STAGE DRAW - bordeaux, galatasaray and PSV

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Italian Job 2005 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:12 am

Not too fussed who we get.  We're normally pretty good at getting through the group stages.  Having said that Celtic or Porto from pot B would be nice.
The Italian Job 2005

Postby Ciggy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:17 am

Dalglish wrote:GH brought LFC back from the brink mate.............. We were a club in turmoil with ill disciplined players, an inferiroity complex and journeymen....

He done a lot of good for us Ian and also bad, it was time for him to go, he wasnt well enough for the pressure the jon entailed and also the dodgey buys he brought in.
He had to leave we needed changes quick.
Think that Banner at Anfield that was removed was his final nail in his coffin TBH.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:18 am

cant wait to see who we end up with, i would like to see GH back at anfield and also put Benfica in there place.

Liverpool
Lyon
Benfica
levski

and no im not mad
:p
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:24 am

Dalglish wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:[So you liked it when we were losing 1-0, I forget who we were playing but the kop was crying 'attack attack attack attack attack' and he brings on Igor Biscan.

Only messing  :D

But seriously that was honestly one of the lowest points I've ever felt as a Liverpool fan, I can still think back and see rows and rows standing up and exiting the ground with 10 minutes left becuase they had had enough of what they were seeing.

No , But I did like it when we won the treble in 2001  :D

I have a longer memory than most and choose to remember the "whole" of his tenure rather than just the last 12 months  :Oo:

GH brought LFC back from the brink mate.............. We were a club in turmoil with ill disciplined players, an inferiroity complex and journeymen....

Of the 11 Players who started the 2005 European Cup Final in Istanbul ...........NINE were GH buys  :oops:

Yep you are right, he won us trophies a plenty while he was here, he just didn't deliver the big two we wanted. That treble year I will never forget. The epic UEFA cup final and the late show in the FA Cup and nail biting penalties in the worthington cup (that was my first trip to cardiff).

I do respect what he did for us and TBH the houllier era was probably the first one I can remember clearly. I was too young to remember the souness era and the roy evans era is a bit fuzzy in my mind.

My Dad always told me about the glory days and it seemed normal when we were winning the treble and when it entered the last 2 years or so I thought, this isn't good enough.

Unfortunately for me, when I think of houllier the first thing that comes to mind is that game when the kop was emptying in front of me. My heart sinks whenever I think back to it.

I was only 8 or 9 during the treble season and I guess I was older when it came to the last 12 months and had a wider knowledge of football than I did when I was 8.

I'm just going to click add reply now because I'm blabbing on a bit  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:27 am

Ciggy wrote:
Dalglish wrote:GH brought LFC back from the brink mate.............. We were a club in turmoil with ill disciplined players, an inferiroity complex and journeymen....

He done a lot of good for us Ian and also bad, it was time for him to go, he wasnt well enough for the pressure the jon entailed and also the dodgey buys he brought in.
Think that Banner at Anfield that was removed was his final nail in his coffin TBH.

Couldn't agree more Ciggy.

All I ever seek to do when it comes to the one-sided debates on GH is redress the balance......

Walk on.... :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:32 am

adamnbarrett wrote:Yep you are right, he won us trophies a plenty while he was here, he just didn't deliver the big two we wanted. That treble year I will never forget. The epic UEFA cup final and the late show in the FA Cup and nail biting penalties in the worthington cup (that was my first trip to cardiff).

I do respect what he did for us and TBH the houllier era was probably the first one I can remember clearly. I was too young to remember the souness era and the roy evans era is a bit fuzzy in my mind.

My Dad always told me about the glory days and it seemed normal when we were winning the treble and when it entered the last 2 years or so I thought, this isn't good enough.

Unfortunately for me, when I think of houllier the first thing that comes to mind is that game when the kop was emptying in front of me. My heart sinks whenever I think back to it.

I was only 8 or 9 during the treble season and I guess I was older when it came to the last 12 months and had a wider knowledge of football than I did when I was 8.

Good post Adam and I appreciate your comments.

There are many Liverpool fans who listen to their Dads and older fans etc..... and its good tro remember our achievements as a club.

There is little doubt that RAfa has taken us up several levels and it was time for GH to depart when he did.

What gets me when people refer to GH is their dismissiveness of what he achieved in his time.

To this day it's obvious the man loves Liverpool Football Club and I happen to think that history wil be kinder to Gerard Houllier than many of the fans have been ..............

Walk on .... :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:38 am

Dalglish wrote:
Ciggy wrote:

Couldn't agree more Ciggy.

All I ever seek to do when it comes to the one-sided debates on GH is redress the balance......

Walk on.... :)

I respect what good he did to the club, but looking back, I'm glad he's gone.

He just didn't have what it takes, and his man-management was appalling.

Still - good luck GH, except when you play us!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:38 am

It is a funny thing though reguarding Houllier, the bluesh.ite hoped he would be their new manager and called us ungratefull b@stards, for getting shut of him, after all the tropheys we had won.
Anyway back to topic.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:39 am

Ok , back to Topic , i hope we get Everton ! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:41 am

Dalglish wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:Yep you are right, he won us trophies a plenty while he was here, he just didn't deliver the big two we wanted. That treble year I will never forget. The epic UEFA cup final and the late show in the FA Cup and nail biting penalties in the worthington cup (that was my first trip to cardiff).

Good post Adam and I appreciate your comments.

There are many Liverpool fans who listen to their Dads and older fans etc..... and its good tro remember our achievements as a club.

There is little doubt that RAfa has taken us up several levels and it was time for GH to depart when he did.

What gets me when people refer to GH is their dismissiveness of what he achieved in his time.

To this day it's obvious the man loves Liverpool Football Club and I happen to think that history wil be kinder to Gerard Houllier than many of the fans have been ..............

Walk on .... :)

100% agree Ian.

The guy loved the club dearly and I think even he knew he had to go for the club to progress.

I think people do often tend to remember the later years, if things were reversed and he had the worst times at the start and the treble at the end he would have been held in higher regard by many even though his record would be the same.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:41 am

Dalglish wrote:Ok , back to Topic , i hope we get Everton ! :D

who?  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:41 am

Dont start me on that shower Ian a lad I met last week wont eat tomatoes or have ketchup nuff said really.
Back to topic :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:43 am

Ciggy wrote:

Dont start me on that shower Ian a lad I met last week wont eat tomatoes or have ketchup nuff said really.
Back to topic :D

I'm kind of the same , I don't eat Yellow Snow  :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:29 am

Manhattan will pick:

1- Liverpool
2- Porto
3- CSKA Moskva
4- Liberec  (BTW- He was a beautiful piano player).
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:37 am

Ian i cannot argue with a word you have said about GH,it will be very interesting how his record is viewed in 20 year time.I for one thank him for everything he did to the extent it nearly killed him and you cant ask more than that .......GH  :bowdown ynwl
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion