Cisse speculation to end. - New contract to be signed before 06!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby spion » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:21 pm

In an interview with the Observer sports monthly Djibril Cissse has said he's "half way" to agreeing a new contract with Liverpool. Quoted "I (Cisse) approached the manager (Benitez) & asked if stories at the start of the season were true. He replied that every player has his price but that my price was beyond most & that there were other players ahead of me in that line". About a week after the conversation with the Liverpool striker the reporter, Richard Williams recieved a late night phone call from a giddily happy Cisse saying that Liverpool had offered him a new contract that day & that relations with manager Rafa Benitez were "fantastic, better than ever". Cisse is also quoted as saying that "the manager has spoken to me at length & understands that my personality is complicated & that I need time to grow with the newer players in the team". He talks about his great friend Momo Sissoko becoming a better player than Viera & a better physical presence than Keane in the Liverpool team for years to come. The interview is in the next months sports monthly in the Observer newspaper & was reported on fivelive earlier today.
spion

Postby bigmick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:32 pm

spion wrote:He replied that every player has his price but that my price was beyond most & that there were other players ahead of me in that line".

Jeez there's no wonder the players get a bit confused at times. Just to clarify, does that mean Rafa wants to cash in on him or not?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mitch22 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:45 pm

Think we should keep him he is scoring .That will do me fine.
Liverpool are magic Everton are ..... :censored:
mitch22

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:49 pm

He's starting to score goals. Wierd really, he's a distinctly average player but seems to know where the net is on occassions.

The only thing is out of all his goals he's scored, i can't honestly remember (free kicks and penalties aside) a goal where i thought no keeper in the world would have a chance with that one, good finish.

Alot of his goals have been down to poor goalkeeping against average and poor sides.

I don't think he'll last.
115-1073096938

Postby andy_g » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:58 pm

the one against anderlecht in the first leg doesn't count then, stu?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:02 pm

Look at it again, it went directly above the goalkeeper who was on his way down to the floor. Had he simply not moved at all, it would have hit him on the head. It was a good calm finish, but the goalkeeping was extremely questionable.
115-1073096938

Postby stoney » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:03 pm

andy_g wrote:the one against anderlecht in the first leg doesn't count then, stu?

yeah nobody would have saved that goal v anderlecht 1st leg also last night was a good precise finish through the keepers legs.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:04 pm

I'm unconvinced by Cisse the footballer myself, but Cisse the goalscorer might be a different matter. He looks very much an instictive, confidence type player and at the moment his gander is well and truly up. He looked just about as sharp as I've ever seen him when he came on last night and his goal was a very accomplished finish. My one reservation would be whether or not he really is a team player. His tantrums and tiarras do get a bit waring on the eye, and if you're playing in the same team as him he must do your head in.
Given the fact he has been here now for 18 months though and is at last starting to get the hang of British football it would seem to me to be premature to sell him now only to replace him with yet another guy who would need at least a season to adapt. All this is of course unless we receive a ridiculous offer for his services, which based on my valuation of his worth would be around 3/4 of what we paid for him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby xd3vilx » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:05 pm

i believe Cisse will stay unless RB decided to stop challenge any title...
No striker in liverpool can consistent score for now other than Cisse
Nando - One Good Match...Next Come The Bad
Crouch - Don't Bother About Him...Even Luis Garcia can header better than him
Rest - Can't See Them Even Sit In The Sub Bench...
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:07 pm

Wouldn't offer him a new deal to be honest.

He's improving steadily but if our aim is to win the league then in my opinion we can't do it with Cisse as our main striker, I just don't think he's good enough.

Having said that I would play him every game at the moment, he's still the biggest goal threat out of all our strikers right now and certainly has pace, which Morientes and Crouch definitely don't.

He's behaving himself at the moment because he's getting games, but as soon as he's on the bench for a couple of games again he will be complaining, his attitude needs to improve otherwise Benitez will sell him eventually.  He's certainly done little to earn a new contract with his mood swings.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:31 pm

if january to be ended up with only two buys in CB and RW, i think we need him to stay
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AlanHansen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:58 pm

We should keep him imo, he has displayed flashes of class and with a bit of tweaking he couuld turn out to be a great player - if him and Moro hit it off -  :buttrock

He's been scoring goals in a side thats struggled to create chances.
AlanHansen

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:22 pm

Quote (spion @ Nov. 02 2005,13:21)
He replied that every player has his price but that my price was beyond most & that there were other players ahead of me in that line".

Jeez there's no wonder the players get a bit confused at times. Just to clarify, does that mean Rafa wants to cash in on him or not?

it doesn't mean Rafa wants to sell him, but if we recieved a HUGE bid (probably 14m) then he would consider it.  Other than that, Rafa won't be actively trying to get rid.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:39 pm

The lad needs to be given a chance ffs, out of the 18 months he's been here he's been out for about 6 months of that with a career threatening injury andit'll take time to get back to what he was, i think we are now starting to see the best of him.

IMO though it's a bit premature to offer him a new contract; i'd give him another 12 months before offering him anything.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red squirrel » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:00 am

I dont know. Contracts mean sh.it these days, he was already on a big salary to start with and offering him a new one so early is ludicrous. Let him prove his worth first and then think about the future later. This is probably a stunt to let the player know he's wanted and give him a confidece boost that is so needed, but does this mean the other more deserving players will get one as well!
Im a fan of Cisse's but must admit he's still got a lot more to do to become a great player for this club.
The transfer speculation earlier in the season was totally unfair on the lad but this is the wrong way to ammend the situation.
Give him more games to show he's worth more money first!!!
Red squirrel

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion