Chris kirkland - Gone for good?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DZed » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:02 am

It seems that Chris Kirkland will never have the chance to play for Liverpool again. While I'm disappointed, I have to agree that he must go. I mean we have 4 quality keepers as it is right now, 2 of them English. He could still be a great keeper if he stays injury free but I feel it is the right time to cut him loose. I wish him well in the future as he has so much potential.

YOUR THOUGHTS?

NO WAY BACK FOR JINXED KIRKLAND
Liverpool Echo 30 March 2006 

LIVERPOOL have closed the door on Chris Kirkland returning to Anfield early following his latest injury setback. 

Kirkland's season is over due to a broken finger sustained in training, ruling him out of a reunion with his former team-mates at The Hawthorns this weekend.

The 25-year-old has also been forced to concede defeat in his battle to make the England World Cup squad.

But rather than invite Kirkland to return to Mel-wood for treatment, Liverpool have made it clear they're not expecting to see the keeper on Merseyside until his one-year loan spell ends.

Liverpool are under no obligation to take the player back and increase their wage bill, just because his season is over.

However, Rafa Benitez's unsentimental approach is another clear indication he sees no prospect of Kirkland forcing his way back into his long-term plans at Anfield.

The Reds hope Kirkland's loan move to West Brom will become permanent during the summer, allowing the club to recoup part of the £6m fee they paid in 2001.

Once tipped a certainty to become England's number one, Kirkland's progress has been wrecked by a succession of injuries.

If he returns to Liverpool for pre-season training in the summer, he'll find himself well down the pecking order, with Pepe Reina, Scott Carson and David Martin all recently signed by Benitez and Jerzy Dudek, currently, still at the club.

Meanwhile, striker Peter Crouch says his bad memories of a relegation battle with Southampton a year ago will ensure he's not complacent against Bryan Robson's strugglers.

Crouch knows how the prospect of going down can spur a team on. He said: "It will be difficult on Saturday against West Brom and I know from personal experience last season with Southampton that when a team is down at the bottom they fight for every ball and every point they can get." 

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW9827060330-1453.htm
DZed

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:07 am

Chris Kirkland has been a disaster since day one.

Signed for over £6m, he's gone from injury set-back to injury set-back.

He has been at Anfield for almost 5 years, and has played about 40 games.

Awesome potential that will never be realised as he is built like a chandelier.

I can see us releasing him, or accepting a fee of less than £1m.

:no

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:58 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Awesome potential that will never be realised as he is built like a chandelier.

... pretty much sums it up.

:down:  its a shame.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:01 am

bye chris...

he just couldnt cut it, health wise. hes a great keeper, we all know that... but whats the point if you are always on the injury table. We got reina, carson and dudek (well dudek going soon too) so we have to cut our losses with kirkland. sahme it didnt work out as i like the lad but thats football
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:09 am

I heard he's in discussions for a leading role in Holby City... :D
Gracias King Rafa

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:57 am

i think we'l; get more than 1million for him...he's an England goal keeper.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby smudgeofred » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:37 am

its is a shame, quality keeper, kitkat fingers
smudgeofred

Postby dawson99 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:37 am

7_Kewell wrote:i think we'l; get more than 1million for him...he's an England goal keeper.

he never actually played for england tho did he?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:42 am

I think it's been a good bit of business sense by Rafa (?), WB loaned him for the rest of the season - he was injured playing/training for them, let them pay his wages!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:57 am

Yep, shame about glass bones, he did have potential. Good luck to him in the future if he doesn't come back. But I think his dad might have jinxed(sp?) him when he put a bet on when Chris was 10 that he would play for England  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:00 am

Good luck to him, but he is dead weight. Couldn't stand up without snapping/pulling/breaking something and he isn't anywhere near what he should have been. Scott Carson is the future of English Keepers now.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:27 pm

Has anyone seen those goalkeeper's gloves with finger supports?  They stop your fingers bending too far backwards and give them some support.  I wonder if Chris has seen them?
???
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:50 pm

I feel real sorry for the lad.

Good keeper but SO unlucky :(
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:11 am

I agree with the general sentiment of could still be a England keeper and I like the lad but its over for him at Anfield.

Reina and Carson are more than good enough for the squad.

But still good luck to him and I hope he gets through this injury phase
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion