Cheyrou gets recall to national team squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:00 am

A bit of good news for Bruno Cheyrou.

He has been recalled to the French national team squad for their friendly against Holland after a number of players withdrew with injuries.

This is a bit of a surprise and plenty of Man UTD and Arsenal fans will be scratching their heads in bemusement, but Cheyrou is actually highly rated in France.

Jacques Santini, the French coach said he was hugely disapointed with Cheyrou a year ago as he felt that Bruno was a big player in France's future, but that he suffered a dramatic loss of form at Liverpool.

Maybe this recall will boost Bruno's confidence and have a knock on effect for Liverpool?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:21 am

Imo he could be one hell of a player.

His vision, passing and technique are absoloutely superb. I personally would like to see him play centre mid with Steven Gerrard and get a run of games there. I have a little theory on why he and one or two others are playing so badly.
115-1073096938

Postby Coley » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:02 pm

I agree, i think he should be given a run of games in the centre with Stevie.  I personally think that Didi playing i there adds to our 'boring' liverpool problems, so any change there i would be in favour of.

What's his longest run of games there for us?
Coley

Postby The_Rock » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:10 pm

How do u cope with hamann, gerrad & cheryou.. simple, play gerrard on the right and give hamann and cheryou the centre midfield roles.Cheryou will score goals if he is given the run of games.

Look at Wes Brown. He sucked on his first few games. But Alex Ferguson stuck with him. And Wes Brown defended quite well against Arsenal.

On the other hand sticking with biscan is not going to improve him  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby manic-red » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:16 pm

Cheyrou showed what he could do in the Champions League when he took United apart all by himself and that's because he was playing regularly in an attacking central midfield role. He is a good player and very highly rated. Great vision and creativity, probably why Houllier has decided in his great wisdom not to play him regularly.
manic-red

Postby ICE-MAN » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:15 pm

i think give him a chance, he could be fairly useful, out of houlliers misfits i.e. diao diouf etc he always seemed more committed to the cause than them, when he got a run of games he scored a few goals against wolves chelsea etc so i agree that him and hamann in the middle with gerrard on the right might work, give him a chance! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:34 pm

stu_the_red wrote:I have a little theory on why he and one or two others are playing so badly.

Tell me more Stu
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:37 pm

yes Stu, tell us more!!!!!!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:44 pm

The fans getting on his back, Stu, or is it is something else?

Diouff, Diao and Cheyrou had huge reputations on the continent before they came: Christ I saw with my own eyes Diouff's performances in the World Cup.

What happened?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Coley » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:51 pm

Getting back to the positions in which Gerrard, Hamman and Cheyrou should play, i think it would be a waste playing Stevie on the right.  I personally don't rate Didi that highly and i think he makes us play too deep and cautiously.  He almost acts like another centre half most of the time.  I would sell Haman, bring in Cheyrou with Stevie in the middle and buy Malbranque for the right.  That is a quality attacking midfield if you bring Kewall in to the equation.
Coley

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:53 pm

There's no sense in playing Gerrard at right midfield given that he's now the main man in the team. It was ok a few years ago when he still was very young and we had Gary McAllister, but not any more.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Coley » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:55 pm

My point exactly (even if i didn't quite say it that way)

:D
Coley

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:55 pm

yeah gerrard is a superb crosser of the ball but there is no point playing him on the right. he's the engine room of the side. we need malbranque or wright-phillips, simple as that.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:56 pm

Coley wrote:Getting back to the positions in which Gerrard, Hamman and Cheyrou should play, i think it would be a waste playing Stevie on the right.  I personally don't rate Didi that highly and i think he makes us play too deep and cautiously.  He almost acts like another centre half most of the time.  I would sell Haman, bring in Cheyrou with Stevie in the middle and buy Malbranque for the right.  That is a quality attacking midfield if you bring Kewall in to the equation.

That's all well and good but you need a defensive minded midfielder as well or you just get thumped. Attack attack attck isn't always the best way.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:00 pm

what about van bommell from psv?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion