Cheyrou gets recall to national team squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:49 pm

stmichael wrote:when fit he hasn't been left out. he was injured for about 2 months. i'm saying that we rely toomuch on owen and kewell for our goals. i think hyypia has scored more goals than hamann, murphy, smicer etc.

Sorry mate. I misunderstood you. What has happened to Murphy this season. He was our best player last year and scored shed loads. I've known players have a drop in form but not a whole squad at the same time. I think Cheyrou should be given a start in all the remaining games instead of Hamman. Let's see what happens.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:56 pm

Cheyrou is either a good player or he's not.  If he is then why has he lost form could it be like so many current Liverpool players he's not in the right position, or maybe he dosent fit in well with the system.  One other thing I thought Marseille were a bad team.  They are supposedly a good standard team in France, Cheyrou is better than anything they've got.  Maybe then the standard in the premiership is actually to high for players like Cheyrou, maybe they will never adapt to the pace of play.  This also could explain the decline of Diouf and Diao.  But I think that theres a more fundemental question regarding the afforementioned players, plus Pongolle and Le Tallec.  The only why they can adapt and get better is to play in competitive British games.  Regardless of what Houlliers fortune is Liverpool need to seriously look at developing a nursery club were players get a good grounding.  I think there are plenty of Scottish premiership clubs who would welcome such players to help them compete against the old firm teams. Additionally such a link would help Liverpool follow the talent in Scotland.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:58 pm

What the hell's happened to young Scottish talent - it sems to have dried up altogether compared to some of the footballing legends they've produced over the years
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:08 pm

i saw the old firm match yesterday and there were actually more than two scottish players involved. i couldn't believe it. rangers and celtic are to blame. they're the only scottish teams who play in europe on a regular basis and they've made a habit of buying cheap foreigners. the lesser teams who contain more home grown players just don't get the big game experience to be international class.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby big al » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:09 pm

Good question Woollyback, Just think of the Liverpool greats who came from scotland and I don't included the man himself (Shankly). I watched the old firm game on Sunday and Then thought about the reserves we have who would learn so much against these teams.  Scotich football is struggling even Rangers has'nt got the funds to compete with Celtic.  Even O'Neill at celtic has to shop around to find talent.  Just think about the number of players we've got currently and in the recent past who would benefit from playing in the scottish league.  They are on the doorstep so why are Englands elite not working with them.  Instead Man U go to the other side of the world to Austrailia, makes no sense to me.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:16 pm

We should tell Biscan we're farming him out to Stenhousemuir for experience, then maybe he'd up sticks and f##k off for good! :laugh:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:37 pm

big al wrote:Good question Woollyback, Just think of the Liverpool greats who came from scotland

I wonder if anyone said that when they appointed Souness.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:36 pm

when fit he hasn't been left out. he was injured for about 2 months. i'm saying that we rely toomuch on owen and kewell for our goals. i think hyypia has scored more goals than hamann, murphy, smicer etc.

Kewell 11?
Murphy 6
Gerrard 5
Cheyrou 4
Hamann 4?
Hyypia 4?
Baros 3? 4?

Thats sounds about right. The problem this season hasn't been goals from other players, but goals from our strikers.

Heskey has about 7, Owen about 15 and Baros has 3 or 4.
115-1073096938

Postby chrys » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:57 pm

hi all.about your suggestion, why not trying cheyrou cmidfield as i still believe its where we need someone.as  for ur question granny, diouf was playing a leader role in his national team n now he is only a "player" in liverpool.(player:without any conviction)
if not houllier then jose mourino
chrys

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:03 pm

Liverpool Goalscorers (2003/4)

14 Owen (11 Prem)
11 Kewell (7 Prem)
9 Heskey (4 Prem)
6 Murphy (3 Prem)
5 Gerrard (3 Prem)
4 Hyypia, Cheyrou, Smicer
3 Hamann
2 Baros, Pongolle
1 Traore, Le Tallec

Liverpool Premiership appearances (2003/4)

30 Hyypia
----------------------
28 Kewell
27 Heskey, Biscan
26 Gerrard
25 Murphy
22 Diouf, Dudek
21 Owen
20 Riise
----------------------
18 Finnan
17 Hamann
16 Smicer
14 Henchoz, Carragher, Pongolle
13 Le Tallec
10 Cheyrou
----------------------
9 Baros
7 Traore
6 Kirkland

Diouf has a staggering 9 yellow cards and 1 red card this season!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:17 pm

It's the fact that Biscan is our equal 3rd most regular that worries me
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:42 pm

Pongolle has done alright considering how much he's played, and he has shown signs of doing better.
Why not play him alongside Owen and Baros (3 up front) a few times, from the START of the match.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:46 pm

Gotta be worth giving him the nod ahead of Heskey at some point. I think Pongo could be really sharp given regular first team outings. Not sure about playing him, Owen & Baros together though - all very quick but not as much physical presence as we'd like. Having said that, it's catch 22 if Heskey's the only real physical one we've got!
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion