CHELSEA VS LIVERPOOL 19.45 BST - All the discussion for the CL game

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby babu » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:23 am

I don't care if its a draw, but I'd like us to score at least a goal and keep a clean sheet again. :p

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:19 am

There is much more to this game than champions league points

we need to believe we can match them. Not for this season, but for the next one and the one after that.

And there is the matter of the 4-1 at Anfield that needs to be erased from the players minds.

We're going there to show them they cant beat us on their home turf.
tel

Postby hobbes » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:56 am

YEah I reckon it would be a slow game. But if the players are as hungry as the fans for a revenge, this is the time. Wack Chelsea 5-0.  Am I building castle in the air.?
hobbes

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:51 am

Liverpool v Chelsea Pre-Match Stats

"Since losing in Monaco a year ago Liverpool have gone 13 games unbeaten in the Champions League."

"Steven Gerrard has scored seven goals for Liverpool in Europe this season. He is two goals behind Dean Saunders' club record of nine in a season set in the UEFA Cup during the 1991-92 campaign. However, he is yet to score in the five Group Stage games so far."

Notice any inconsistency? It's weird how we can say we went unbeaten in the ECL for 13 games as we obviously lost to CSKA Sofia in the qualifying rounds. Okay that's forgivable if it only applies to Champions League proper. However, if you look at the second quote, it says Gerrard scored 7 goals in Europe this season, and the bulk of it came from the qualiying stages....

Does anyone else spot a contradiction or is it just witty use of words?
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:01 pm

A draw is good to Liverpool ... but I think we can beat them ...and we must protect Alonso...
LiverpoolMadman

Postby banana » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:12 pm

I predict a low scoring draw. We will play with caution and chelsea will struggle against a defensive back 4 and a hard working midfield. And with Crouchie on fire they i reckon we can steal a goal from set pieces.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:17 pm

------------------Carson-----------------------

raven          roque       hyypia         warnock

barragan    hamann     sissoko        kewell

pongolle     cisse

Subs:Dudek,Carragher,Garcia,riise, gerrard, alonso, morientes

Considering that this is the Champions League and at this stage it would be stupid to suggest that we play the game in mind of who we play next in the knock-out phase. I would definately use this game as more of an opportunity for the younger players to prove their worth rather than rest certain players for the sake of it. Please note that I have included Kewell in the line-up for the purpose of increasing his match-fitness.

If things start to go t!ts up, just pick any 6 of the big-guns that can come on and change the game.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:35 pm

Rafa and Maureen have been sounding off as if they don't care where they finish in the group but i don't buy that for a second. I know there is an element of luck going into the last 16. Just look at last season when Chelsea won their group and drew Barca and we finished 2nd but drew an easier game with Leverkusen. However, the chances of getting an easier draw rise considerably if we win the group with fixtures against the likes of Porto, Rangers or Udinese a distinct possibility.

I'd be surprised if Rafa fields a weakened teambecause A) he wants to win the group. B) We are on a cracking run and confidence is high. C) Chelsea did a number on us last time out and D) Like us, Rafa must also think that maureen is a pri.ck and would like nothing better than to wipe that smug self-important, i'm a legend in my own tiny mind', 'listen to me bleeting bleating like a sheep, it was never a goal' look off his face.

Full-strength team for me. I want to win that group. I'd rather Josemi and Traore got their run out in Japan.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:54 pm

I think we would be better to show them no respect at all and field a team of reserves.  We are on a great run, but what if we field our best team and Chelsea do us over again, which is a possibility!

Or worse..

Fat Frank crocks Alonso or Gerrard??
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:39 pm

jonnymac1979

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:14 pm

Benitez is resting Alonso
:D
LiverpoolMadman

Postby AlanHansen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:41 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:------------------Carson-----------------------

raven          roque       hyypia         warnock

barragan    hamann     sissoko        kewell

pongolle     cisse

'kin hell, we'd get hammered.

I think it'll be the usual team plus kewell, cisse, warnock, I don't think rafa will put out a weak side.

I can see us getting beaten in this, 2-0, It's been too long since we had a game against quality opposition.
AlanHansen

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:46 pm

who says we'll get hammered? You don't know what team Chelsea would put out. Neither do I but this is a good opportunity. no point risking key players in a match which is not dependent on us qualifying.

Great opportunity for the likes of Kewell, Barragan, Pongolle and cisse to shine. Team is not that weak.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dimshen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:49 pm

even if we field semi-strong team you gotta think that they'll have the edge at the bridge, i'd love a draw but we dont have enough in the bag to play reserves and win against chelski.
Dimshen

Postby AlanHansen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:58 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:who says we'll get hammered? You don't know what team Chelsea would put out. Neither do I but this is a good opportunity. no point risking key players in a match which is not dependent on us qualifying.

Great opportunity for the likes of Kewell, Barragan, Pongolle and cisse to shine. Team is not that weak.

You need to be firing on all cylinders to go against chelsea, I think Rafa will rest players - a bit of a risk because it might stop our moumentum, but there will be more important matches to come.
AlanHansen

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion