Charlton - Team selection predictions and thoughts

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redtribe » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:33 pm

What does everyone expect of this weekend,
What team would you put out!
What scoreline do you think it will be!
Who will put in a good performance and how do you think we will play!

I think we will see Traore and Kewell on the left side!
And i think Kewell will show some form (i hope so anyway)!

2-0 or 3-1 for me Cisse and Baros bagging one each!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:41 pm

2-0 liverpool. Cisse getting both.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:47 pm

I expect a performance tomorrow in the same mould as the recent games against WBA and Norwich at home. We showed them no mercy and we should do the same to Charlton. They have been very hit and miss this season, especially away from home (man city and bolton put 4 past them), so it should be quite easy to knock the fairly pedestrian Murphy and Holland out of their stride by bombing forward from all angles. However, if Danny's gonna have his 1 good game in 10 its bound to be tomorrow..

Their attack is also weak. Kevin Lisbie anyone? Still can't believe how that guy scored a hattrick against us. That will forever be his peak moment in football, even his goal against Newcastle last week was poor in its execution.

So I'd go for something like this, considering that Josemi is suspended.

Kirkland

Finnan       Hyypia       Carragher     Traore

Garcia       Hamann     Alonso          Kewell

Cisse         Baros

Forget all this garbage in the press about Baros and Cisse not getting on and admitting that they can't play together. They need games, and tomorrow will be a perfect opportunity to work on their understanding. I'm also expecting a big game from Harry Kewell if he starts. He looked more pumped up than I have seen him for ages on Tuesday when he came on.

I've gone for 2-0 in the prediction competition and I'm sticking by it. Baros and Cisse to both score.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:55 pm

I would Have the same formation as yourself StMike
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:25 pm

Redtribe wrote:I would Have the same formation as yourself StMike

would go with yr formation also :D but maybe give Sinama a longer run in place of Baros(maybe last 20 mins?) Cisse and Sinama looked an understanding pair in the pre-season and they both speak french!!
whylongball?

Postby The_Rock » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:35 pm

Similar to yours, but i will make the below changes :

1)Riise for Traore - Although traore is playing well, he is an accident waiting to happen. I still can't forget the goal he conceded 2 yrs ago against charlton at anfield. (u noe, the one where he slipped and then proceeded to lay down as if he has been knocked out........ charlton scored from that slip-up).

2)Garcia & Cisse switch positions - The teams plays much better with garcia up front & cisse on the wings. Not sure why, but they just do (ie...2nd half against fulham).

Kirkland

Finnan       Hyypia       Carragher     Riise

Cisse       Hamann        Alonso       Kewell

Garcia        Baros
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:52 pm

The_Rock wrote:                   
                                      Kirkland

Finnan       Hyypia       Carragher     Riise

Cisse       Hamann        Alonso       Kewell

Garcia        Baros

That's the team I would play aswell.
However, Rafa likes to spring the surprises, so lookout for one of Pongolle or even Warnock and Biscan in the starting line-up.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:12 pm

I think Warnock is a briliant young lad, he is a better choice than Harry Kewell because Kewell has his head in the gutter. I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa played Warnock instead of Kewell.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:13 pm

Its not as an easy game to call as it would appear, although I think Liverpool will win it.

The reason I say its difficult to call is that Charlton caused us a hell of a lot of problems last season.

I think Benitez should pick the strongest team available to him at the moment, which on form is:

Kirkland
Josemi
Riise
Carragher
Hyppia
Hamman
Alonso
Finnan
Garcia
Cisse
Baros

I'm not a massive fan of Finnan but he gets the slight nod ahead of Kewell in my book. Harry had a reasonable game when he came on against Deportivo and perhaps there is an arguement to pick him from the start against Charlton. However, I think Harry hasn't had the necessary hunger in a red shirt and if I was Benitez I'd try to coax a little anger out of him by leaving him on the bench for a game or two.

I'd also be keen on seeing Pongolle getting a run at some stage.

The main thing is to be vigilent against Charlton at set peaces and their use of fast forwards on the break down the flanks. Hamman and Alonso should get to grips with their midfield, and personally I'm looking forward in seeing Murphy play against Alonso (although Hamman will probably pick Danny up more).

Cisse badly needs a goal, and one against the Addicks would do him the world of good. He's not playing at all well and I think the English game has been a shock to his system, as indicated by all his big talk in the summer where he boasted that he'd do great things. A few goals in the next month would really sort him out.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 67-1098209959 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:17 pm

My Team Would Be:

Kirkland

Carragher   Traoare   Hyypia    Riise

Finnan       Alonso    Hamann   Kewell

Garcia   Baros

That team looks quiet balanced to me. I think Cisse would benefit from watching from the sidelines for a few games, and I don't like the look of Garcia on the wing so this has forced me to play Finnan out there and swith the defence about. But the personal is more or less the same.
67-1098209959

Postby A.B. » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:42 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:The reason I say its difficult to call is that Charlton caused us a hell of a lot of problems last season.

Last season we had a horrible home record, its a different story this year. Different players,different tactics.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 67-1098209959 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:44 pm

Lisbie terroised us because Smicer and Gerrard played in the centre, and niether were willing to sit back and protect our incredibly slow central defence.
67-1098209959

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:51 pm

Incidentally is Josemi suspended for the Charlton game?

I think we should win this one, but Charlton are a lot better than WBA and Norwich.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:55 pm

We also beat Man City, ah yes the ones that pulled an upset over Chelsea. People talk about our players not being able to score consistently, look at Chelsea.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:09 pm

The fact that we beat Man City and they beat Chelsea is utterly irrelevant A.B.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion