Changes have to be made - Roll on july!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kunilson » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:46 am

i would be happy with cisse, morientes and crouch leaving if we can get one quality RELIABLE striker....no prospects please. and a right winger. rest of the team is fine.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby welsh wizzard » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:53 am

Honestly mate i can't see Rafa selling Hyypia next season, He can still cut it in this league for another season yet. We might need 4 centre backs. Next season i feel we will have Carra, Hyypia, Agger, and "HOPEFULLY" Palleta. But Traore must go, Along with Morientes,Cisse,Dudek,Mellor,Kirkland, Pongolle not sure yet. But Tallec as well must go..I'm still not overly convinced with warnock, and i don't think Rafa rates him highly enough.So what will we get there, say 20million and may be 30 million to go with it. Two strikers and a right winger for 50 million, Team complete. Lets hoping!!!!!!!!!
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:59 am

i would like 2 see pongolle stay at anfield i think the guy is class
how ever i would like 2 see morientes,traore,kirkland and crouch sold
no offence 2 crouch but i dont think he is liverpool material
i would like 2 see kuyt joaquin or torres brought in they are all brilliant players and quite big and young
Kopite-Jud

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:01 am

If you look at our squad closely we are not that far off from being very strong.

We have 3 Keepers, Reina is a clear first choice, Dudek is an experienced and quality back up and Carson is a promising youngster.

Next season we will have four centre backs, Hyypia, Carrgher, Agger and Palleta. I fully expect Hyypia to be here next season, Agger will be ready to compete for a first team spot and Palleta will be 4th choice, he will have the opportunity to learn the language, settle in the city, play some reserve and carling cup games, and will be ready if needed. In Finnan and Kromkamp we have 2 very good right backs, and it is a similar case with Riise and Warnock.

We have four excellent central midfielders, on the left we have Kewell, Zenden, and also Gonzalez will be integrated next season. On the right we have nobody and this is a problem that Rafa will look to address.

Upfront is were we have problems. Cisse and Morientes are flops, no question about it. Crouch is a decent player, and Fowler still has plenty to offer. Garcia is another player I would consider a forward and is very useful. The strikers are definitely something we need to address in the summer. I think we could get away with signing just one quality striker.

Reina
                      Dudek
                      Carson

Finnan       Hyypia     Carragher     Riise
Kromkamp  Agger       Palleta        Warnock

???           Gerrard      Alonso        Kewell
???           Sissoko      Hamann      Gonzalez
                     and Zenden

Crouch        ???
                 Fowler       Garcia
                    and Pongolle

So only Troare, Cisse and Morientes are the players that need to leave, and also the loan players.
To me that looks very healthy, we not far off from having a very strong squad. 2 quality additions, a right midfielder and a striker would make us a real force.

If you ask me, things are looking really good for next season, Rafa is building a very strong, versatile and impressive squad. Onwards and upward I say!
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welsh wizzard » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:11 am

Your not far off the truth there mate, But i don't think Dudek will hang about he wants first team football. We are only three players off being a very good squad, Morientes and cisse have been poor, if we had say owen and Kiute or defoe and was scoring goals this seson we would be still up there with Chelsea, we have best defence in league but our goals have let us down big time, If we had that cutting edge up front, we would still be in Europe and fighting for the title,so hopefully Rafa will bring in 2 quality strikers and a class right winger, then i think we have a squad to challenge next season.We are just missing them  links to a top quality side...
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1140560321 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:57 am

Yes but Rafa is making "Gerard Houllier" type mistakes at the moment. Although i think we were incredibly lucky in Istanbul,and throughout the Champions league campaign last season, we are still well off the pace if you look at the way Chelsea play, and Barcelona last night.

the difference there in quality is massive.

Money does talk, and we should be flashing the cash. I was majorly disapointed that we never bought many big names after winning the CL last season. Rafa seemed to go for "cheap" alternatives.
needs sorting
65-1140560321

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:04 am

I don't speak of luck to explain tonight's defeat, but please do not speak of luck when you've beaten Juventus, Milan and Chelsea. I don't believe in luck, I believe in hard work, and I believe in mistakes.

And against Benfica we've done the same mistakes of all season. But we're not doing that badly, as we have a decent position in the EPL, and in a league, in the long term, you cannot speak of luck. It's not serious.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:20 am

Yep...well said Sabre.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1140560321 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:26 am

well sabre...if you can add up (which is doubtfull), then see how many points we are in the EPL from the top compared to the bottom.
65-1140560321

Postby 65-1140560321 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:09 am

Paul C wrote:I'm sorry but tonight was the last straw, Rafa needs to get rid of Traore, Cisse and Morientes and bring in a CB, RM and as least a clinical striker.

We have the best midfield and central defenders in Europe but need quality upfront to win games, Rafa needs to realise that he's persisted with Nondo and Cisse but it's not working, the cash needs to be spent rather than trying to buy cheap muppet!!!!  :(

but i bet you wouldn't have come up with this post had we gone through tonight eh?
65-1140560321

Postby gato_busta » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:37 am

Sabre wrote:Even I think that Morientes must leave now, and I've been defending him. But I don't think it's our unique problem. We need a striker, we need a RM not necessarily a winger, we need a better player than Kewell in the left (yes, we need it), and we need a CB just in case Hyppia-Carra couple breaks due to an injury.

Walk on.

I agree with Sabre. We need a right midfielder, a striker and a left midfielder. Kewell has been good this season but, IMO, he has a fairly pointless job in the team at the moment. Sure he is a winger, he crosses the ball in to the strikers who are meant to score the goals. He get his job done, the strikers don't. JAR was a serious goal threat last season on the left, thing that Kewell is not. We need a winger who does not only cross the ball in BUT is also a goal threat. Don't get me wrong, Kewell is a great player but Liverpool can get someone better.

I've also defended Morientes but he pretty much has sealed his fate. Benitez gave him his chance and and he didn't prove himself. Cisse did exactly the same thing. Traore is just painful to watch and has to leave ASAP not only fot the good of the team but also of the fans. I bet im not the only one that gets chest pain everytime he gets close to the ball.

Changes do have to be made, but we are not too far from a serious contender in all competitions.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby el_stinger » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:07 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:If you look at our squad closely we are not that far off from being very strong.

We have 3 Keepers, Reina is a clear first choice, Dudek is an experienced and quality back up and Carson is a promising youngster.

Next season we will have four centre backs, Hyypia, Carrgher, Agger and Palleta. I fully expect Hyypia to be here next season, Agger will be ready to compete for a first team spot and Palleta will be 4th choice, he will have the opportunity to learn the language, settle in the city, play some reserve and carling cup games, and will be ready if needed. In Finnan and Kromkamp we have 2 very good right backs, and it is a similar case with Riise and Warnock.

We have four excellent central midfielders, on the left we have Kewell, Zenden, and also Gonzalez will be integrated next season. On the right we have nobody and this is a problem that Rafa will look to address.

Upfront is were we have problems. Cisse and Morientes are flops, no question about it. Crouch is a decent player, and Fowler still has plenty to offer. Garcia is another player I would consider a forward and is very useful. The strikers are definitely something we need to address in the summer. I think we could get away with signing just one quality striker.

Reina
                      Dudek
                      Carson

Finnan       Hyypia     Carragher     Riise
Kromkamp  Agger       Palleta        Warnock

???           Gerrard      Alonso        Kewell
???           Sissoko      Hamann      Gonzalez
                     and Zenden

Crouch        ???
                 Fowler       Garcia
                    and Pongolle

So only Troare, Cisse and Morientes are the players that need to leave, and also the loan players.
To me that looks very healthy, we not far off from having a very strong squad. 2 quality additions, a right midfielder and a striker would make us a real force.

If you ask me, things are looking really good for next season, Rafa is building a very strong, versatile and impressive squad. Onwards and upward I say!

Finally, a decent post on this subject, nearly 3 pages in...

I would say we need a CB if the Paletta (sic) deal falls through, 2 RM's we need cover, and 2 strikers.

Now we would need some dead wood out, Traore, Cissy, Mori, and Mellor. I would suggest that Dudek will leave also.

If Rafa changes his system, long ball hopefully will show Rafa that the game has changed in England, which would make Crouch redundant also. Somehow, as stubborn as Rafa may be, this won't happen anytime soon.

I'm not sure who we will bring in for RM or CF, and I wouldn't want to guess. Whoever it may be, must be willing to work hard all the time. Cissy is the prime example of what not to become.

We do have the makings of a great squad, and hopefully, with some exceptional talents coming in, we should go crazy in the Prem next season. My only concern is that Rafa waits too long during the transfer windows, we need to press and press early with our targets.

Enough ranting.
Last edited by el_stinger on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:13 am

Sabre wrote:Even I think that Morientes must leave now, and I've been defending him. But I don't think it's our unique problem. We need a striker,

Sabre how do you feel about Morientes representing your country in the WC 2006?
All spaniards must hope and pray that he doesnt even make the bench.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 107-1141734023 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:19 am

Ciggy wrote:
Sabre wrote:Even I think that Morientes must leave now, and I've been defending him. But I don't think it's our unique problem. We need a striker,

Sabre how do you feel about Morientes representing your country in the WC 2006?
All spaniards must hope and pray that he doesnt even make the bench.

he did so well for other clubs though

he's just gone tits up at pool

look at his record at monaco and Real!! :devil:
107-1141734023

Postby banana » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:42 am

OUT

Kewell - he can't move past his man no more. Has only average pace and crossing abilities. Half the player he was at Leeds where he gave his fullback a hard time in every game. We need a man able to go to the byline and cross the ball so the strikers can attack the ball with their noses pointing towards the goal. Kewell never move past his man and only crosses from deep into midfield. Crosses like that are hard to score from.(0k)

Dudek - Needs and deserve to be fiirst choice goalkeeper.(350k)

Traore - Nothing to say. Paletta and Agger are both better players. Goodbye.(500k)

Morientes - Worst player in the premiership. No pace, no power, no determination. No goal threath. Useless in every god damn part of the game. Cant dribble, cant create for others, cant get into positions, cant take on defenders, cant hold up the ball. Worst player in the premiership as I said.(300k)

Cisse - Maybe he can lead the attack at a lesser team or in another country. Useless on the ball. Bounces off his foot and no intelligence. As a winger he has only ONE move. Kick the ball on the defenders right and use pace. This actually works sometimes and he is now a master of winning corner kicks. But that is not what we are looking for the most.(£1 million)

Pongolle - Sell him or give him more chances. A decent player with a useful reportoaire but probably not the world class striker we need. (500k/Loan deal)

Mellor - Not the world class striker we need. Several clubs seems to be willing to take him at a modest fee. (500k)

IN

Gonzales - Hopefully a player with more pace and trickery than the washed up version of Kewell. If we can produce something on the wing I bet Crouch will get more gols.

Paletta - Replacement for Traore. Tall player, good on the ball. Could break into the first 11.

STRIKER - We need not one but TWO strikers. My first suggestion is to buy back Anelka. He is a proven goalscorer in the premiership and still on the right side of 30. Has pace, control, intelligence and a good shot. He will guarantee 15 league goals and a lot of european and cup goals as well. I don't think his attitude and his mentality is that much of a problem anymore.

RIGHT WINGER - If we get a really good player we need only one player as Garcia, Gerrard etc can cover for him if suspended or injured.

Expected Revenues from sales: £ 3 millions
Expected signings  :                £ 30 millions
Difference:                            £ 27 millions

My first 11 next year:

Reina

Finnan
Carra
Paletta/Agger
Riise

XXX
Alonso
Gerrard
Gonzalez

Anelka
Crouch/New striker

Subs:
Carson
Kromkamp
Agger/Paletta
Zenden
New striker/Crouch
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion