CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE VS BENFICA - the biggest match of the season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:03 am

Well folks its that time again, the 12th man needs to do everything in their power to send the mighty reds into the last 8 of the competition.
Benfica need to be scared sh.itless by the Anfield roar, the lads need to be really fired up for this one.
Its our trophey we are the current holders we are not giving it up that easy.
The goals will come dont worry epect our little Luis to be back for this one.
And for Crouch to scare the sh.it out of their defenders if we play as well as we did against Charlton I have every faith that we will go through to the last 8.

So the lads need to put their goal scoring boots on I dont care who scores would'nt matter if Reina even scored :D
We need to win this one its our biggest game this year as far as I am concerned.
We need to keep singing "In Gay Paree we'll win it 6 times"

TIME FOR THE 12TH MAN TO SING, SHOUT, SCREAM DO EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER JUST GET OUR LADS THROUGH TO THE NEXT ROUND
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:06 am

i hope we win, i have great respect for Benfica because of their coach ronald koeman.

They will be tough, hopefully crouch would send lusiao back to the tunnel crying  :D and the fans to intemidate the benfica's player.

Comon Liverpool! Benfica are in a real suprise!  :cool:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dward » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:22 am

COME ON REDMEN!!!!! LET'S SHOW THEM WHAT ANFIELD AND THE 12th MAN IS LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN GAY PAREE!!!!!!! WE'LL WIN IT SIX TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
Last edited by dward on Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:30 am

YEAH

Lets just hope that Crouch is one fire along with Kewell n Garcia if he plays. King Luis helped us out last season, I don't see why he cannot do it agen this season.
48-1119859832

Postby bigmick » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:17 pm

Assuming he is fit it really is a case of cometh the hour, cometh the man for Luis Garcia. This is his stage and I'm very confident that if he plays on Wednesday he will either score a goal or make one with a piece of magic. He'll give the ball away on occasions aswell but then it's down to the other lads, the swarm of angry red shirts to win it back and keep the tempo and intensity bouncing off the scale. If Liverpool as a team and the fans as a group get the night right, and do what they are capable of then Benfica will be blown away by half time in my view. Provided we get a referee who doesn't fall for every dive and tumble and in so doing, allows us to press the ball deep in their half I'm hopeful we might win 3 or 4 nil.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:21 pm

Love the optimism Mick but I have a feeling it may be one of those nervy encounters, ala Olympiakos. 2-0 for me with a winning goal in the last 5 minutes or so.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:27 pm

Steven Gerrard has sent out a defiant message to Benfica and the rest of Europe that Liverpool are not about to give up their Champions League title without an almighty fight. 
Liverpool trail Benfica by a goal to nil going into the return leg at Anfield on Wednesday and despite a recent lack of goals, the club captain is convinced the Reds have enough firepower to see off the Portuguese giants.

"There's no doubt we are a better team than we were last season when we won the European Cup, so let's just say that we aren't about to give up our trophy easily.

"The Benfica game is massive for us and I think everyone will see on the night how determined we are to retain our crown. We might be a goal down from the first leg, but the mood at Anfield is that we still have both hands on the trophy.

"No one relishes coming to Anfield these days. We had some fantastic nights there last season against Olympiacos, Juventus and Chelsea and we will need another one against Benfica.

"We need another high-tempo performance. We will be looking to strangle them out of the game in their own half just like we did to so many teams in Europe last year.

"From what we saw of Benfica in the first game, we believe we can certainly turn the tie around. In fact, if we get the first goal then I believe a few of their heads will drop – and once our fans sense that is happening they will be right on them.

"Teams struggle against us if we play with the right tempo. That is what has made us so difficult to play at Anfield. The good thing is that this year we have also showed an improvement in the Premiership. There are a few pieces still missing from the jigsaw, but we are looking to finish the season second behind Chelsea and also win the European Cup again." 

:buttrock
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:35 pm

the atmosphere againt charlton was poor all i could see was girls with scarfs and cameras
wots going on ? girls only know 2 cheer wen the balls goes in the back of the net
they dont even knowthe offside rule. get the lads there against benfica and sing YNWA as loud as you can
Kopite-Jud

Postby Alonso14 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:40 pm

I think we have to go with Gerrard and Alonso in the center for this one. Little Luis on the right, and this will be a huge game for him, hasn't had the best of seasons, but its time he changes that.

Lets do this one for Sissoko lads.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite_1232002 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:59 pm

this is the match robbie will ern his new contract

cummmmmmmmmmmmmoooonnnnnnnn the reddddsssssss
kopite_1232002

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:46 pm

Rafael Benitez has been handed some good news ahead of Wednesday's Champions League decider against Benfica after scan results proved that Sami Hyypia's injury is not serious. 
The Reds defender was forced to leave the field at half-time during the draw with Charlton Athletic on Saturday because of a tight hamstring but a scan this morning has revealed the injury is less serious than first thought.

Ian Cotton, spokesman for Liverpool Football Club, said: "The scan did not show up anything serious and Sami will be fit to train with the rest of the squad on Tuesday." 

------------------------------

It's good news that sami is ok to play. I don't think I could cope with traore in the team.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:07 pm

This will be a big test.
As much as we'd like to write Benfica off, they are in the lead and have players who could easily score a goal, particularly from a free kick. We must play like we are the underdogs, and not go into the game with a "We'll win easily" mentality.
The obvious and well-documented problem with our team is goalscoring. We HAVE to score on Tuesday, or we are out. We NEED 2 goals without reply to avoid extra-time or an unfair exit.

We know the defence is good enough to keep a clean sheet, barring individual errors/cheating.

I'd go with the following team:

Reina
Finnan                  JC                   Sami                  Riise
                                      Alonso
Garcia                                                                 Kewell
                                     Gerrard
                             Fowler
                                              Crouch.

An attacking formation, with our best goalscorers. I'd stick Cisse on for the last 30 minutes if need be, taking Finnan off and reverting to 3-4-3:

Reina
                       JC              Sami            Riise

Alonso
   Gerrard                                                          Kewell
                                        Garcia
                     Cisse                           Fowler
                                        Crouch.

I'd put Stevie on the right in that situation, as Garcia alone would not be able to stop a Benfica break.

If we are REALLY in need of a late goal, I'd throw caution to the wind and give 2-4-4 at go, with Reina acting as a sweeper to JC and Sami:

Reina
                         JC                           Sami

Alonso

Gerrard                                                           Riise
                           Garcia           
                                                Kewell

Cisse           
                                                           Fowler
                                   Crouch.

Obviously that's a system I don't want to see!!!!!! (As I want us to win comfortably!)

Best of luck lads - we're right behind you.

Up the 'pool!
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite_scouser » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:04 pm

is anyone on here actually going im sitting anni road block 129 as allways sh1t view boss atmosphere
kopite_scouser

Postby the_red_alonso » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:38 pm

If we take our chances we can easily win 3-0/4-0.
But I'm not sure how the strikers will perform,depends directly on the quality of chances that Gerrard & Alonso will make.
the_red_alonso
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:58 pm

I agree with Mick,i think Garcia could have a very important role to play.I dont want to put a downer on things but i hope i'm wrong in thinking Rafa saved Nando yesterday for the Benfica game and a starting role.I can see Crouch and Nando starting up front and in doing so i just cant see two goals coming....
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion