CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE VS BENFICA - the biggest match of the season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:55 pm

Good read this feeling more confident now  :buttrock

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG151643060306-1413.htm
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:16 pm

Im confident we can beat Benfica and progress!They showed a few times in the last leg that they are weak at the back and can exploited!
In fairness though they played well and are a decent team full of energy,not afraid of going forward and taking long shots!
They have some really good strikers of the ball that we need to watch out for!

My biggest concern is in the unlikely event of them scoring first,then with us needing 3 i struggle to see where we can get 3 goals from in 90 minutes of football!!
I dont mean to sound negative,but we all know how well we have been playing,but we also know we have not been finding the net enough!

A perfect start to the game would be an early goal for us to settle the nerves and put things on an even keel!
We must do everything possible to stop them scoring!

I feel Raffa will field an attacking side and go for it from the start!
Either way im sure the lads will not let us down and we'll al be happy on Wed night!

Its way too early for the European Champions to be leaving the competition!
Cant wait for this game,bring them on!
66-1120597113

Postby badradio » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:14 pm

Ciggy wrote:Good read this feeling more confident now  :buttrock

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG151643060306-1413.htm

I will never understand how english see football. Sorry guys! So..."or more than an hour in the first leg in Lisbon I really felt Benfica were very modest opponents by Champions League standards". Yeah, Liverpool was also very modest by Champions League standards 2 weeks ago. Why is so common to you to assume that that was best Benfica and worst Liverpool?
I would admit it from a guy that actually follows our league/matches, but I'm 99% sure that last week game was the first/second this guy saw from Benfica in the last 3 years. One word: arrogance.

If I assumed that Liverpool is what we saw in that match, Benfica was in the quarters already.
Last edited by badradio on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badradio

Postby Glorioso » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:31 pm

That guy saw the game with a special glasses, for sure.It's normal, he's from english press and he's doing his work.
Glorioso

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:59 pm

I'm pretty confident we can do the business,I'd love it if Robbie could get the winning goal,I'm saying this because I can't help feeling we'll come up against Lyon,managed by a certain Mr. Houllier....
Gracias King Rafa

Postby king mickey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:38 pm

Hi all, I don't post here often, but for my two penneth, Carragher to score first.

You can bow to my superior knowledge/guesswork as soon as the game finishes  :wwww
king mickey

Postby drummerphil » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:44 pm

king mickey wrote:Hi all, I don't post here often, but for my two penneth, Carragher to score first.

You can bow to my superior knowledge/guesswork as soon as the game finishes  :wwww

Thankyou for your indepth knowledge
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:54 pm

For any of you lucky to go make sure our crowd never shut up and never give up supporting our lads, we have a responsibility to help them through.

Theres only one thing I have to say to Benfica fans:

"Were football fans from merseyside and we are all Red by choice,

and when you all sit in anfield you will hear the Kops one true voice.

Because when our boys walk out on the pitch they'll be up for the fight,

and when you hear us fans in full swing, you and your players will get a fright.

Because We are Liverpool Fc and we rightly sit on the european throne,

and all that our lads need to know is they'll never walk alone"

by Matt Leatham :D
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby badradio » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:00 pm

That's a nice chant.
Last edited by badradio on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badradio

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:44 pm

One worry I have is that, if we start with Crouch and Fowler, our attacking options on the bench aren't great if things don't go our way.

Morientes offers little when he starts, but when he comes on as sub he's almost completely ineffectual. Cisse may start anyway on the right, but he's not exactly Mr Supersub when he comes on as a striker.

For this reason, I wonder if Morientes and Cisse, or Crouch and Morientes will start.

Things were so much easier when our team picked itself. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby Kasual » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:39 am

"Although I fancy them strongly to qualify for the last eight, I do think the odds are against them winning it again. Why? Simply because no team has retained the trophy since Milan in the early nineties and no side has ever retained the Champions League."

He justifies his belief on Liverpool not winning the CL this year on a tradition. Everyone knows or at least should that this year's CL and last year's CL are both independent events. Therefore there is no correlation between them, having won it or not on any other occasion wil not contribute for you winning it now or not. You can prove that mathematically of course, through probability theory...

This journo is a complete retard and can't understand this simple logic. I don't expect him to understand that in Lisbon both teams played a tactical game, and if some neutral saw the game, wouldn't be impressed by any of the teams.
Kasual

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:50 am

Kasual wrote:"Although I fancy them strongly to qualify for the last eight, I do think the odds are against them winning it again. Why? Simply because no team has retained the trophy since Milan in the early nineties and no side has ever retained the Champions League."

He justifies his belief on Liverpool not winning the CL this year on a tradition. Everyone knows or at least should that this year's CL and last year's CL are both independent events. Therefore there is no correlation between them, having won it or not on any other occasion wil not contribute for you winning it now or not. You can prove that mathematically of course, through probability theory...

This journo is a complete retard and can't understand this simple logic. I don't expect him to understand that in Lisbon both teams played a tactical game, and if some neutral saw the game, wouldn't be impressed by any of the teams.

So you agree with him, and yet you think he is a retard?

Right...

BTW - he said his opinion that we will not retain the crown is based on ODDS.

Ofcourse it's more difficult to win back-to-back, as the odds are twice as long, PLUS the odds against a back-to-back victory.

(For eg: if LFC were 33-1 at the start last season, and 10-1 this, the combined odds are 43-1. With the variable of winning again being something like 100-1, our combined odds are about 143-1 to retain, purely because no team has managed it for over 2 decades.)

And thus ceases by oral expulsion of sh*te.  :D
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:48 am

FFS!!!! Damn ESPN decided to show AC Milan vs. Bayern Munich :angry:
I live in a college so it is absolutely impossible that i will be able to avoid everyone for 4 hours and not hear the result until the delayed telecast.
I plan to listen to it on the radio, and for any of you in Australia (Melbourne) do you have any idea how to find out what channels are playing the game or know of any???

Damn i want to live in England :(
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:16 am

pi$$ed off too... I was all geared up for an ealry morning alarm call to watch it live but Real and Arsenal is being shown live again!!!!!

Looks like I'll have to be contnent watching some crappy Chinese web stream if I can find one.    :veryangry
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:16 am

prediction: 2 nil to lfc
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion