CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE VS BENFICA - the biggest match of the season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby neil » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:34 am

feck me you'd 'get it'
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AlanHansen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:48 am

I know I had a bad feeling about last night, got a great feeling about tonight though, we gonna go through.  :bowdown
AlanHansen

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:49 am

im even thinking about a fowler hat trick lol
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:54 am

I had a dream that Crouch and Alonso scored but dont know if we won cause I woke up  :(
BTW seen two magpies before always a great sign, and I encourage everyone to put this wallpaper up please we have never lost a game in the CL without these lucky charms  :buttrock

Last edited by Ciggy on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:58 am

Ciggy wrote:BTW seen two magpies before always a great sign

what's so great about seeing two fat geordie fans? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 107-1141734023 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:03 pm

i hate geordie accents, even sounds thicker than how fowler sounds
107-1141734023

Postby Ciggy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:05 pm

kopBabe23 wrote:i hate geordie accents, even sounds thicker than how fowler sounds

:angry:  Oh feck off.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:06 pm

A very special night in store
8th Jan 2006 
By Paul Ullmer

Liverpool v Benfica (0-1)
Anfield.  Champions League - Last 16, 2nd Leg.

St. Etienne in ‘77, Roma in ‘01 and Chelsea in ’05 – just some of the most memorable European nights in Anfield’s and Liverpool’s history.  When the chips are down, people look to the ‘special’ atmosphere that this famous old ground seems to provide as a way of pushing the team over the finishing line.  On Wednesday night, the fans will look to write another chapter as they try to help the team overcome a one goal deficit against the Portuguese giants.

Barring the lengthy absence to Mohammed Sissoko and Bolo Zenden, Liverpool will be at full strength and Rafa Benitez will have virtually a full squad to choose from.  The Liverpool manager has some big decisions to make as he tries to find those all-important goals to get the Reds through to the last 8.  In the week when the tabloids have speculated Benitez’s future may be back on the continent, the tactical mastermind will be out to show once again his superior footballing brain will have all the right answers.

Benitez knows only too well that the one thing needed is the one thing they are lacking; goals.  Robbie Fowler will be hoping to start in his first Champions League game at Anfield for the European Champions, and the Anfield faithful would like nothing more than to celebrate a Fowler winner.  Although the man known as ‘God’ may not start having played at the weekend, expect him to feature at some point.  Who knows, he may even pop up in injury time again, but this time pray for some better luck from a European linesman.

Sami Hyypia should return to the heart of the defence to partner Jamie Carragher, with the back four reverting to the usual suspects.  Expect Luis Garcia to head out to the right wing with Steven Gerrard returning to his more familiar central role, as Benitez looks for that extra drive and determination needed for such a big occasion.  With Crouch and one other up front, The Reds Manager will be hoping that an attacking 4-4-2 line up will create the pressure needed to secure a Liverpool victory.

Gerrard will be the talisman for Liverpool again, as he looks to push his side through.  Many will remember his heroics against Olympiakos last year, and the Kop will be hoping for a similarly influential game from the midfielder.  Like Istanbul and in times of trouble, the Reds turn to Gerrard and he usually delivers. Lets hope the heartbeat of the side can produce the kind of inspirational performance that will have the best in Europe watering at the mouth.

Get the history books ready, as Benfica ‘06 may well need to be logged alongside some very special evenings.  Here’s hoping for another.

Prediction; The “12th Man” will make the difference as the Reds finally find their scoring boots.  Expect a special night. 

Liverpool 2 – Benfica 0

CMON LADS LETS MAKE HISTORY AGAIN :buttrock
THERES NO WHERE IN THE WORLD LIKE ANFIELD ON A EUROPEAN NIGHT  :buttrock

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:07 pm

I think people need to step back and think about the match from a Benfica point of view. As Rafa will no doubt put into his footballing brain.

One might expect Benfica to sit back and absorb the pressure we apply, just as Charlton did. They will opt to counter attack, as Charlton didn't, because they have the players to do that.

So the question is, what line up does Rafa use?

--------------Reina
Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise

The defense picks itself.

Midfield I think he'd prefer Garcia on the right. Garcia is more adept at the style of play when you are pressuring the opposing defense and not counter attacking as much yourselves. But who knows about Garcias injury and how he's been training. Hamann is better defensively but we need to be smart about our attacking style. So Didi would start, imho, if Rafa thinks he wants to settle the game down first. But I think Rafa will gamble we can control possession from the off so..

Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell

Those look the starters. If Garcia is not fit then Cisse will play RM.

As for strikers.. Well everyone has an opinion about out best pairing. But I think even Rafa doesn't know which is best. As Crouch didn't play the first leg because Rafa expected a more open game, he will this time. And Benfica have no idea what it's like to play the tall man. Just as Uruguay found out.
Because we should be in possession of the ball in their half a lot of the time. I think Nando will start. Although it could easily be Fowler. However his 90 minutes v Charlton may see him come on as a sub.

So it's;

Crouch- Morientes

Fowler and/or if one of Cisse/Garcia to be used as a sub to impact the match if needed. Because having "super" subs is important, just like Mellor v Olympiacos. You need someone who can impact the match from the bench. If we need defensive cover then Didi, Traore, Warnock give us some options at the back.

Now all we need is for the players to do their part.

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!! :buttrock
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 107-1141734023 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:13 pm

why don't you feck off ciggy!

:angry:

I think we underestimated them in the first leg, lets hope we're better prepared this time
107-1141734023

Postby neil » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:26 pm

I agree

neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:37 pm

AlanHansen wrote:I know I had a bad feeling about last night, got a great feeling about tonight though, we gonna go through.  :bowdown

nice one alan

how was the night out?
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:39 pm

redmikey wrote:
AlanHansen wrote:I know I had a bad feeling about last night, got a great feeling about tonight though, we gonna go through.  :bowdown

nice one alan

how was the night out?

he stayed in, so i shafted his missus  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:40 pm

guys, this is a football thread. stick to the subject.

if you wanna mess about, do it in general chat
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:41 pm

heard a great quote on one of the otehr sites saying how mourinho the tactical king should be follwoed by rafa, so we are gonna bring on traore up front for the last 20 mins  lol
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion