Champions league draws forthcoming - The way it "could" pan out.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Alonso14 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:55 am

Tim Cahill has turned down the offer of a new contract at Everton.

The Australian international was a sensation for The Toffees last season and was one of the main factors in them being able to clinch fourth place in The Premiership.

Despite only joining from Millwall last summer, Everton have moved to try and tie Cahill down to a longer-term deal.

However, the midfielder - who bagged 11 goals in his debut campaign - has shunned the offer from Goodison chiefs.

More to follow...

:rasp   :talktothehand   :D   :p      :laugh: 

You laughed wen Gerrard was 'supposed' to leave ... we laugh we Cahill LEAVES for .... West Brom?
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:28 pm

Alonso14 wrote:Tim Cahill has turned down the offer of a new contract at Everton.

The Australian international was a sensation for The Toffees last season and was one of the main factors in them being able to clinch fourth place in The Premiership.

Despite only joining from Millwall last summer, Everton have moved to try and tie Cahill down to a longer-term deal.

However, the midfielder - who bagged 11 goals in his debut campaign - has shunned the offer from Goodison chiefs.

More to follow...

:rasp   :talktothehand   :D   :p      :laugh: 

You laughed wen Gerrard was 'supposed' to leave ... we laugh we Cahill LEAVES for .... West Brom?

:laugh:  :laugh: luv it :laugh:  :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 65-1114725958 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:25 am

I agree
65-1114725958

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:34 am

Clicky

draw will on friday. some pretty tough competition there but as an unseeded team look at the seeded teams "the best team from merseyside" will have to face excluding ManUSA but including us.

if i were neverton (god forbid!) i would be sh*ting in my pants.
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

Postby MilitiaRusher » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:21 am

I wonder what will happen if we draw CSKA Sofia of Bulgaria... one name that pops up to my mind... Michael Shields....
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:23 am

I just can't see us getting Everscum. The odds that we will get the T*ff**s having played their superiors TNS as well, are pretty high. Which is why I think we'll get them in the groups and humiliate them, there.  :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:49 am

all beatable teams, but potential banana skins. such as real betis and basel (3-3) last time!
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:08 am

hahahhahahha :p

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0400eve....ge.html

Unwanted draw has Moyes worried Jul 28 2005

By Ian Doyle Daily Post Staff, Daily Post

DAVID MOYES has revealed his concerns at the unwanted prospect of his Everton side drawing neighbours Liverpool in the Champions League.

The draw for the final qualifying round of the competition takes place at 11am tomorrow in Nyon, Switzerland, with the possibility of the Merseyside rivals being paired together the main talking point.

Everton were nominated as the Football Association's fourth and final Champions League entrant after finishing above Liverpool in fourth place in the Premiership.

But the Anfield side's victory in May's European Cup final against AC Milan led to UEFA altering their rules to accommodate the new holders in this season's competition.

Although ranked as top seeds, Liverpool were forced to begin their defence in the first qualifying round and have been stripped of country protection - the rule that keeps teams from the same league apart until the latter stages.

The second qualifying round has yet to be completed, but Liverpool's 3-1 first-leg victory at Lithuanian champions FBK Kaunas on Tuesday has virtually assured their progress.

And with Everton entering the competition in the final qualifying round and among the unseeded teams, manager Moyes has admitted his disappointment that UEFA's ruling could see his team's first appearance in the European Cup for 35 years threatened by their rivals from across Stanley Park.

"I'm concerned about the draw, definitely," said Moyes. "I've got clear concerns about what might happen. Of course, the decision as to who is seeded or not is nothing to do with us.

"We can't influence who is seeded and who is not, but I do think that it's wrong that two clubs from the same country - the same city, even - could be drawn against each other in European competition at this stage.

"You qualify for the Champions League in order to play teams from another country, not your local rivals.

"You don't usually expect to get one from your own country, let alone your own city, but there is only one club which is exposed to the fact that Liverpool have not been granted country protection, and that's Everton. That's a fact."

Even if they avoid been drawn against Liverpool, their unseeded status means Everton will have to overcome testing opposition to book their place in the lucrative group stages of the Champions League.

While they cannot face Manchester United, the Goodison outfit could be drawn against Inter Milan, Panathinaikos, Rangers, Villarreal, Sporting Lisbon, Monaco, Ajax, FC Bruges, Werder Bremen or Rosenborg.

Inter Milan would be a particularly unfavourable draw as they must play their next four home games behind closed doors after crowd trouble during last season's Champions League clash with rivals AC Milan, making a possible fixture significantly less lucrative for Everton and denying their supporters the chance of a trip to the San Siro.

Meanwhile, David Weir has been named Everton's club captain for the new season in place of the departed Alan Stubbs
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:12 am

Moyes fears drawing the reds.CL possibility

He states teams of the same country shouldnt play eachother so early on.
I wonder if its because Evertons preperation isnt going to well and the fact he hasnt signed anyone yet.
And the fact Liverpool are flying in pre_season
66-1112520797

Postby The_Rock » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:04 am

Bamaga man wrote:Moyes fears drawing the reds.CL possibility

He states teams of the same country shouldnt play eachother so early on.
I wonder if its because Evertons preperation isnt going to well and the fact he hasnt signed anyone yet.
And the fact Liverpool are flying in pre_season

eh........all of them  :laugh:
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:38 pm

There are plenty of other teams out there who can beat Everton.  With local derbies being notoriously unpredictable, they shouldn't be too bothered about drawing Liverpool.  He's probably still upset that Liverpool were let in.

Hey, Moyesy!
:p :p :p
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:43 pm

The_Rock wrote:hahahhahahha :p

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0400eve....ge.html

Unwanted draw has Moyes worried Jul 28 2005

By Ian Doyle Daily Post Staff, Daily Post

DAVID MOYES has revealed his concerns at the unwanted prospect of his Everton side drawing neighbours Liverpool in the Champions League.

The draw for the final qualifying round of the competition takes place at 11am tomorrow in Nyon, Switzerland, with the possibility of the Merseyside rivals being paired together the main talking point.

Everton were nominated as the Football Association's fourth and final Champions League entrant after finishing above Liverpool in fourth place in the Premiership.

But the Anfield side's victory in May's European Cup final against AC Milan led to UEFA altering their rules to accommodate the new holders in this season's competition.

Although ranked as top seeds, Liverpool were forced to begin their defence in the first qualifying round and have been stripped of country protection - the rule that keeps teams from the same league apart until the latter stages.

The second qualifying round has yet to be completed, but Liverpool's 3-1 first-leg victory at Lithuanian champions FBK Kaunas on Tuesday has virtually assured their progress.

And with Everton entering the competition in the final qualifying round and among the unseeded teams, manager Moyes has admitted his disappointment that UEFA's ruling could see his team's first appearance in the European Cup for 35 years threatened by their rivals from across Stanley Park.

"I'm concerned about the draw, definitely," said Moyes. "I've got clear concerns about what might happen. Of course, the decision as to who is seeded or not is nothing to do with us.

"We can't influence who is seeded and who is not, but I do think that it's wrong that two clubs from the same country - the same city, even - could be drawn against each other in European competition at this stage.

"You qualify for the Champions League in order to play teams from another country, not your local rivals.

"You don't usually expect to get one from your own country, let alone your own city, but there is only one club which is exposed to the fact that Liverpool have not been granted country protection, and that's Everton. That's a fact."

Even if they avoid been drawn against Liverpool, their unseeded status means Everton will have to overcome testing opposition to book their place in the lucrative group stages of the Champions League.

While they cannot face Manchester United, the Goodison outfit could be drawn against Inter Milan, Panathinaikos, Rangers, Villarreal, Sporting Lisbon, Monaco, Ajax, FC Bruges, Werder Bremen or Rosenborg.

Inter Milan would be a particularly unfavourable draw as they must play their next four home games behind closed doors after crowd trouble during last season's Champions League clash with rivals AC Milan, making a possible fixture significantly less lucrative for Everton and denying their supporters the chance of a trip to the San Siro.

Meanwhile, David Weir has been named Everton's club captain for the new season in place of the departed Alan Stubbs

moyes is bricking it. so much so he's accidentally released his secret plan should ghe have to face the mighty reds in the third round qualifiers. :D

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:36 pm

Surely Alan Stubbs is going to be dissapointed when Everscum resign him and he finds out he's not captain anymore! :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:25 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:Surely Alan Stubbs is going to be dissapointed when Everscum resign him and he finds out he's not captain anymore! :D

:D  That's hilarious.  Release a bunch of players but then cant sign anyone. 

"Please come back Alan!  We didn't mean to release you!"

:D
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:21 pm

does any one know what time and what channel the draw is going to be made tommorow???
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion