BTW- by the way
IMO- in my opinon
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby bodyrules » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:45 pm

That's good one, domestic league doesn't mean squat...
If you were top in the table, would it be different?

The european matches are definitely fantastic, and to win the champions league is top, but achieving the biggest number of titles of all the rest for me is what makes a club big.
If you don't manage to dominate in England, and to finish in first place, I think is frustating for each of you liverpool supporters, because You, like us here in Portugal, enjoy being considered the champions and letting behind all the other rivals.
Championship is a event of regularity, it's where we can see how good a squad is, and it's choices outside the eleven main squad.

European games for me are also the most enthusiastic, but I think it's easier to suceed there, despite all the travels and big clubs envolved, it's two legs in this stage and everything can happen..

By the way, for example we can atribute the good campaign you had last year in the champions league to the fact you gave up on the premiership, once you were so far behind.
So, you decided to prepare and to focus especially for Europe, let's see if this year you will do the same, or, like Benfica here in Portugal, give the best to try to reach the first place, where Porto and Chelsea are...
bodyrules

Postby Benfica » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:57 pm

Of course they would like to win the Premiership - they don't do it since 89/90! - but it's true that a team performing bad in the league can perform very well in Europe.Although,here there is a contradiction from you,Liverpool fans:your position in the league means nothing but Benfica being 5th in Portugal means a lot! ???
Benfica

Postby A.B. » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:57 pm

That's good one, domestic league doesn't mean squat...
If you were top in the table, would it be different?

You're taking my statement out of context. When it comes to the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, domestic form does not matter. Note that I didn't say that our domestic league isn't important[its our bread and butter], BUT as I've said, in Europe, domestic form does not make that much of a difference.

We proved that last season did we not? We were losing to the likes of Southampton,Palace,Birmingham but knocking out Chelsea,Juventus and beating one of the best teams in the world in the final. It shows that it really does not matter how well or bad you play in your domestic league, because the European stage is different.

Again note that I said when it comes to the CL, I'm not stating that our league does not matter.

Juventus won their league, Chelsea won the Premiership, Barca won La Liga. Chelsea was the closest to reaching the semi-finals and we knocked them out.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:59 pm

Of course they would like to win the Premiership - they don't do it since 89/90! - but it's true that a team performing bad in the league can perform very well in Europe.Although,here there is a contradiction from you,Liverpool fans:your position in the league means nothing but Benfica being 5th in Portugal means a lot

One of us here talked about your position in the table only because you were talking about ours. But, really it's not important where you're at now. However, we do have the experience and a good manager who is clever and doesnt underestimate anybody.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lisbon Red » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:23 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Why do Benfica have a giant chicken on their badge?

We have a chicken... you have a turkey...
Lisbon Red

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:33 pm

You mean a Liverbird....

The real turkies play for Benfica!!!!!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kasual » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:49 pm

I confess i was more than surprised to see so much excitement over the draw with Benfica. At this stage, everyone above 16 should know anything can happen on the CL. Actually it was kinda funny to see that the main discussion didn't revolve around Benfica but what team would you get next.
The reason why i was surprised was because last year if i recall Chelsea fans were labelled arrogant and the whole world seemed doomed with their stupidity and arrogance according to Liverpool fans. You were the underdogs and you managed to pull it off, even if in :censored: fashion (except the final) and :censored: form.
That sent a message to the football world, the message that with all out defending and gritty determination you could squeeze past tough opposition. I for one felt inspired seeing you come back from 3-0 against Milan, an example of true belief and determination.
With all the celebrations in Anfield and Liverpool something was lost : the humility that makes champions.

Of course only Anfield has an atmosphere, of course Simão is much worse and older than Srna or Joaquin or whoever, of course we only beat a :censored: Man Utd (even without our 5 biggest stars may i add - Simão, Karagounis, Miccoli, Manuel Fernandes and Moreira) and most of all, of course we're only famous but play :censored:.
These are all certainties according to you, and one could argue some of them (specially on the atmosphere area, maybe you should read some reports of travelling fans first before brushing off with arrogance any other crowd in the world as inferior to your almighty Kop).
Whereas i won't even argue those opinions with you i will humbly argue that the decisions are made on february and march and only then should we worry about our next tie.

The only thing i am certain however, and adapating here a famous speech from a great and inspiring british leader is that we we will fight on stands, we will fight on the pitch, we will fight in the Estádio da Luz, we will fight in Anfield. We will never surrender. I will be there in both stadiums and do whatever i can do to help my magic SL Benfica overcome the famous Liverpool FC.

Cheers and good luck on your RW.
Kasual

Postby Sabre » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:10 pm

Your naiveness softens my heart Kasual. This is not a normal internet forum, but a specific one, the forum of Liverpool. What do you expect, coming here, disturbing our well being and our natural confidence due to a good moment of football we are having, and saying ohhhh Benfica we should be scared? get a life. It wasn't us who went to you to ask our opinion, you're welcome to come here, but if you understand the basics of football (which at this point I'm beginning to think you lack) you'd understand that it's NORMAL a crowd being optimistic when they're current CL champions and are in an incredible streak of tryumphs.

BTW, I always liked Sporting Lisboa more, so f.ck off to your forums and leave us alone
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:17 pm

Kasual , fair play to you mate , you're  standing up for your team and rightly feel hurt by the lack of respect shown by our happy reaction to being drawn against the once mighty Benfica . I remember a time when if you spoke about Portugese football you spoke about Benfica but that was many years ago . Like us your name was once feared and admired throughout Europe , and then both our clubs lost their dominance . We are both now at long last recovering , perhaps Liverpool are recovering more quickly then Benfica. No disrespect to your team but I think over two legs Benfica are not ready for the Champions of Europe ( :D  ) .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby mighty mo » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:19 pm

the stadium that benfica built cost 65 million,why don't liverpool build something similer?
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kasual » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:35 pm

"BTW, I always liked Sporting Lisboa more, so f.ck off to your forums and leave us alone "

suits you well then mate, you have something in common with them, i personally prefer Liverpool over Everton and to be honest Liverpool above all other english teams because Benfica has had a similar historical trajectory, only you normally win finals and we don't (we only won 2 champions cups from 7 finals).

i thought my original post was not insulting and had a fair amount of fair play, can't understand the hostile reply Sabre, is that supposed to intimidate someone? a bit out of order.

Take care all, i'm off to da luz.
Kasual

Postby Sabre » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:46 pm

Liverpool above all other english teams because Benfica has had a similar historical trajectory

Less than the half of cups hardly can be considered similar.

And I wasn't trying to intimidate you, tw*t, just making clear the only thing is out of order is to come to another crowd and expect to hear what you want to hear. That's not only naive but stupid. If Benfica is that magic, enjoy that magic, and bugger off
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:54 pm

Sabre wrote:I wasn't trying to intimidate you, tw*t, just making clear the only thing is out of order is to come to another crowd and expect to hear what you want to hear. That's not only naive but stupid. If Benfica is that magic, enjoy that magic, and bugger off

:laugh:
Sabre , your use of english is improving with every post .   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:03 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Kasual , fair play to you mate , you're  standing up for your team and rightly feel hurt by the lack of respect shown by our happy reaction to being drawn against the once mighty Benfica . I remember a time when if you spoke about Portugese football you spoke about Benfica but that was many years ago . Like us your name was once feared and admired throughout Europe , and then both our clubs lost their dominance . We are both now at long last recovering , perhaps Liverpool are recovering more quickly then Benfica. No disrespect to your team but I think over two legs Benfica are not ready for the Champions of Europe ( :D  ) .

at last some common sense spoken by someone well done said woof totally agree ace :)
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion