CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW 11.00 BST - build up and reaction

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benfica » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:14 pm

Sabre wrote:
Care to show and explain me where the contradictions are?

It's obvious. The champions is already found, indeed: Liverpool. Thus the first premise is sh*t, as you can't beat a champion.

Look man, not that we are confident, everybody says we're favourites. Of course we are confident, among the teams, we always wanted Benfica rather than the Germans or PSV, for instance. It's that simple.

As I say it's not a matter of what I think or we think, look how are the odds, look what the press says, ask every forum, and they'll undoubtly will say: Liverpool are favourites.

And we don't bloody care that you dream on beating us.

TOugh? of course it's going to be, Betis wasn't easy neither, but we'll go through if everything is normal, because we are a better team. Plus Liverpool never understimates and gives everything no matter if they have a well known team like Benfica or unknown as Saprissa, so you can't count on that factor neither.

I think that even you don't believe in your words..How can a "champion be found" when you are talking on a team which is 12 points(9 if they win next game)below the first place?But it's OK,if I was a Liverpool fan I also wouldn't have lost the hope yet.

I've seen much optimism in english forums,and it's a fact that Liverpool is the natural favourite for the tie against Benfica.We have to accept that,but it 'hurts' a little bit...

PS - We don't "dream on beating" you.It's not that uthopic...
Benfica

Postby zarababe » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:15 pm

enuff fighting:

Dates of fixtures:

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE LAST 16

Tuesday,
February 21  Bayern Munich v AC Milan 
Tuesday,
February 21  PSV Eindhoven v Lyon 

Wednesday,
February 22  Chelsea v Barcelona 

Wednesday,
February 22  Rangers v Villarreal 

Wednesday,
February 22 Ajax v Internazionale

Wednesday,
February 22 Werden Bremen v Juventus

Tuesday,
March 7  Juventus v Werden Bremen 

Wednesday,
March 8 Arsenal v Real Madrid 

Wednesday,
March 8 Liverpool v Benfica   

Wednesday,
March 8 AC Milan v Bayern Munich 

Wednesday,
March 8 Lyon v PSV Eindhoven 

Tuesday,
March 14  Internazionale v Ajax
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:24 pm

i think we got the easiest tie....should be another easy victory..we're coasting to the final this year :D
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:27 pm

Before the draw I would have taken Benfica as my preferred option followed closely by Rangers. Benfica, although they won't be pushovers, should pose no major threat to Liverpool. Not with the 2nd leg being at Anfield!  :;):
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:33 pm

Benfica aren't exactly easy, but they aren't difficult either. Good draw overall, could had it been worse. i.e. Real Madrid v Arsenal :laugh:
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:35 pm

I think that even you don't believe in your words..How can a "champion be found" when you are talking on a team which is 12 points(9 if they win next game)below the first place?But it's OK,if I was a Liverpool fan I also wouldn't have lost the hope yet.

I've seen much optimism in english forums,and it's a fact that Liverpool is the natural favourite for the tie against Benfica.We have to accept that,but it 'hurts' a little bit...

PS - We don't "dream on beating" you.It's not that uthopic...

We finished 5th last season but won the Champions League. When it comes to Europe, domestic league does not really matter. We were 38 points behind Chelsea, but we knocked them out of the Champions League.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:09 pm

jonhyslb wrote:Sorry my bad english..but i just have one thing to say! You guys arent giving enough value to benfica...we beat manchester..in old trafford the game was ours for the 90minutes despite the result...if you are happy by drawing benfica..we are much happier. because you(liverpool) and arsenal were by far the weakest times on the draw...and its proved in documentaries that the stadium of light inferno is better than anfield´s !! so be careful with simao or not.. we gonna win. I dont understand what´s your problem with portuguese football...the last 2european championchips...3-2 and penalties...you were sent home by us...jose mourinho arrives england...and takes 2year vacations chelsea wins everything....what´s your position on the championship!!

We were the weakest team to draw? What drugs are you on sony?

Weaker than Rangers,Bremen,Ajax,Villareal,Arsenal? You mean a team that won the CL competition last season is weaker than all of those? You can go to hell.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:14 pm

I guess you Liverpool fans are too optimistic for the knockout with Benfica.A week ago we beat a team which is front of you in the League and you say we are mediocre and weak?For God sake..

Man Utd is ahead of us because they've played more games than us. Get your facts straight before you go on running your mouth. Man Utd have been shit in the Champions League for quite some time now where as we have excelled in it. Do not forget that we won the competition last season.

Seconldy, who gives a damn about the domestic league? We were behind Man Utd,Arsenal, and Chelsea[38 points to be exact] last season but we did more in Europe than they did. We knocked out Chelsea, the team that won the domestic league. DOMESTIC LEAGUE MEANS NOTHING.

Europe is another stage, another game.

We'll probably arrive to February in a better shape than we are now(which is not,though,properly bad)and you probably won't be as strong as you are at the moment(7 wins in a row,11 unbeaten games and nice performances).Much will still happen,so it's always untimely to predict things when the 1st leg will be played in 2 months.

Domestic performances don't mean a damn. We lost to Crystal Palace and then knocked out Juventus. It really doesn't mean anything. If you believe otherwise, then you'll be in one hell of a surprise come February like Leverkusen,Juventus,Chelsea and AC Milan were.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lisbon Red » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:28 pm

azriahmad wrote:homemsumol, Liverpool-Benfica has had some great European Cup matches in the past. If I am not mistaken, we have met on 2 occassions and on the last one in the 1984/85 season, Kenny Dalglish and a Benfica player got sent off in Lisbon for fighting, the only time Kenny received a red card.

I look forward to the match and I am by no means underestimating Benfica. Your winger (can't remember his name, but not Simao) tore John O'Shea to shreds in the last CL game against Man Utd.

Three times actually: 77/78, 83/84, 84/85. And we lost all of them. :O :veryangry The time has come for the revenge. :laugh:
Lisbon Red

Postby Lisbon Red » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:39 pm

I understand Benfica might one of your favourite opponents for the draw... but Liverpool was also one of the favourites of most Benfica fans (another favourite was Arsenal). In my case not only because it might be an easier opponent than the likes of Barcelona, Juventus and others but also due to the fact that Anfield and the Kop are such legends of European football and won't be around much longer (by the way: when will the last Liverpool home match be played there?). Looking forward to this draw and hope to be able to go to the Anfield game. Cheers.
Lisbon Red

Postby Lisbon Red » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:47 pm

Lee J wrote:
Sabre wrote:They have a very strong defence, concedes few goals,

Make that NO goals.  :D

Is that picture of the devil supposed to scare us??

Now there a sight!

Is this from the goodbye to the old Kop match? Quite impressive. I want to see it live!
Lisbon Red

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:49 pm

Anfield and the Kop are such legends of European football and won't be around much longer (by the way: when will the last Liverpool home match be played there?). L

No word on that yet, we may not be able to make a new stadium like we expected.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:00 am

Why do Benfica have building blocks on their shirts?

Who sponsors them? Babys First ABC?
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:00 am

greenred wrote:
MilitiaRusher wrote:Don't worry, Greenred isn't a representation of the fans in here.

What do you mean by that exactly ???

??? Err what do you mean there Militia you only ever post your team selection :glare:  which no one really cares about. Green Red is more of a fan representation to most on here.
Ta.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:02 am

zarababe wrote:enuff fighting:

Ooooooooooooer MRS im usually in the middle of all the fighting and missed all of this :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion