Centre backs & right wingers - (who would you sign)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:47 pm

Don't know if your Sambrosa'a agent LFC but you paint a rosy picture of his suitability. Obviously I've never heard of the bloke but he sounds ideal. I reckon it'll be two players like this (i.e. I've never heard of 'em) that Rafa will buy for CB and RM. I still think we'll buy Owen aswell.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:50 pm

bigmick wrote:Don't know if your Sambrosa'a agent LFC but you paint a rosy picture of his suitability. Obviously I've never heard of the bloke but he sounds ideal. I reckon it'll be two players like this (i.e. I've never heard of 'em) that Rafa will buy for CB and RM. I still think we'll buy Owen aswell.

Yea i reckon ur right about owen, its in the bag. Some otha fella jus mentioned simao...never seen him play but hes boss on champ manager!haha
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:52 pm

he's not really an unknown mick, he's a regular for Portugal and as I said Barca signed him but it ner worked out for him.

Here's some more info on him:

A tricky ball-player with talent, heart and determination, Simao made his full international debut for Portugal back in 1998 and was inevitably earmarked as Figo's natural successor.

Assuming that role has taken longer than many expected.

A poor run of form at Barcelona, following a dream move from Sporting Lisbon in 1999, cost him a place in the squad for Euro 2000 and a serious knee ligament injury kept him out of the World Cup in South Korea and Japan.

He is now fully fit and after a move to Benfica in 2001 he is back playing better than ever, making next month's European Championship his big chance to fulfil that early promise.

"He is a great player, an interesting player, who is lightning quick," Newcastle United coach Bobby Robson said of Simao when he was considering buying him in 2002.

Simao's fleet-footedness has never been under question but his speed of thought has not always been so obvious.

After coming through the youth ranks at Sporting Lisbon, he followed Figo to Barcelona in 1999 for a fee of $15.5 million.

His talent was obvious but his ability to beat players on the wing was not matched by his passing or shooting and he was given just 12 league starts by Dutch coach Louis van Gaal in his debut season.

Figo moved on to Real Madrid in 2000, freeing up a space on the right wing. Despite a handful of excellent performances from Simao, Barcelona were never quite convinced he could fill the gap.

Benfica's decision to step in with an offer of 13 million euros ($16.01 million) provided him with a lifeline and he responded with an immediate return to form, only for an injury suffered in a friendly against Finland to rule him out of the 2002 World Cup.

He soon regained his devastating turn of pace and he finished last season as the joint top scorer in the Portuguese league with 18 goals.

Since moving back to Portugal he has established himself on the left side of midfield for Benfica and the Portuguese national team and he recently signed a new contract with the Lisbon club running until 2010.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:54 pm

Center back: Terry, Ferdinand, Stam.

Right winger: Joaquin, Sean Wright Phillips, Robben.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:56 pm

All those players are completley out of our reach though Militia?
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spion » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:56 pm

I would've loved to have seen Nakata playing on the right for us. Basically trained in Italian football & a fantastic passer, a player of proven class & wont get home sick like some Spanish players may when the weather gets cold.
spion

Postby H_K_LFC » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:21 pm

jouaqin is amazin but a dnt think we'll get him so wesley sniejder or gonzalez who we r gona get......cnt wait 2 c him

we shud hav bought boumsong from rangers but now a think chivu or mexes cud do a gd job
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:25 pm

H_K_LFC wrote:jouaqin is amazin but a dnt think we'll get him so wesley sniejder or gonzalez who we r gona get......cnt wait 2 c him

we shud hav bought boumsong from rangers but now a think chivu or mexes cud do a gd job

Text speak mate. It's up to of course, but I really think you make your point so much more effectively if you write it in English.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:30 pm

LFC #1 wrote:All those players are completley out of our reach though Militia?

Clearly it's out of our reach but surely I'm reflecting on what the subject matter was really all about.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:33 pm

fair do's I suppose. I just think the thread could actually be a decent one if some names come up that aren't usually mentioned, like Simao and Lucio for example who have been mentioned.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:38 pm

Really. I was trying to reflect the topic starter's effort put into this thread, which is non existent really.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:47 pm

I personally am a big fan of Wesley Snijder or Ajax, traditionally Dutch players have done well in the Premiership, and I think he is a reasonable and realistic target. He is a right footed player who always plays o the right for his club and country and does it successfully, there is no question mark about what position he plays in. He is technically very good and is an excellent crosser of the ball.

Zoltan Gera is another player I like, I’m quiet sure he plays on the right normally. He is already playing in the Premiership and has shown that he can cut it in this country, has bags of technical ability combined with a strong work ethic.

I know its a bit late now but if Rafa was willing to take a gamble Jermaine Pennant would have been an option. If he can stay out of jail and go easy on the booze he can be a wonderful player, but that boat has sailed now.

The centre back situation is bit trickier. Last season I was all for the signing of Samuel Kuffour on a free transfer, but I think he has moved to Roma. Too be honest I cant think of anyone off the top of my head.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:50 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Zoltan Gera[/b] is another player I like, I’m quiet sure he plays on the right normally. He is already playing in the Premiership and has shown that he can cut it in this country, has bags of technical ability combined with a strong work ethic.

He's a good player that lad. WBA fans absolutely love him and he's capable of being a good player in  abetter team than theirs. Good shout mate that.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:56 pm

bigmick wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:Zoltan Gera[/b] is another player I like, I’m quiet sure he plays on the right normally. He is already playing in the Premiership and has shown that he can cut it in this country, has bags of technical ability combined with a strong work ethic.

He's a good player that lad. WBA fans absolutely love him and he's capable of being a good player in  abetter team than theirs. Good shout mate that.

Im a big fan of Gera too, think he is an excellent wide right player and i wanted WBA to go down as he had a release clause saying he could go for a few million, hes a tramendous talent and i think he will have another quality season, and he never stops workin, right little pain in the ar$e!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:04 pm

I'll probably be taken apart for this suggestion, but I still rate Gronkjaer, I think he'd be good on the right.  I know he was inconsistent for Chelsea, but he has superb pace and he was one player I always worried about when we played against Chelsea.  He wouldn't cost much and maybe Rafa would be able to get a bit more end product out of him than previous managers

Van der Meyde is another one I like who has been discussed on here in the past
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion