Central midfield - I'm sick of diao

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:48 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Why didn't John Welsh play (or even get a look in) instead of Diao? Surely the lad deserves a go now. Hopefully he'll play against Boro in the next round.

My read on the selection of Diao, is that Rafa has seen something in training and wan'ts to give the guy a run.
Also playing him against Millwall was a low risk strategy, don't be fooled by the 3-0 score, that was a tough game and the likelyhood of injuries to the more skillfull but less physical players was high.
Diao like Biscan and Henchoz are to a certain amount expendable, indeed if you wanted to be really cynical, a serious injury could bring on the possibility of an insurance claim which would be as good as a transfer fee.
Also we blooded quite a few youngsters and had we been beaten and battered, it could have destroyed some confidence in the lad's aswell exposing them to possible physical injury.
I hope Welsh get's his chance alongside the full team in a good match and/or against Middlesborough in the L Cup.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:54 pm

Welsh did look Ok when he first got a run but then so did Mellor. He (Mellor that is) is patently not good enough now so perhaps Welsh has similarly struggled to kick on. If not when he gets really fit, I'm certain he'll get a chance if he deserves it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 67-1098209959 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:59 pm

bigmick wrote:Welsh did look Ok when he first got a run but then so did Mellor. He (Mellor that is) is patently not good enough now so perhaps Welsh has similarly struggled to kick on. If not when he gets really fit, I'm certain he'll get a chance if he deserves it.

To me Mellor has never shown any quality in the first team, it looked like a lack of confiedence but who knows, maybe he will show something encouraging next time, if there is a next time that is.

Welsh had never been give the chance to show if he can hold his own in the first team.
67-1098209959

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion