"carroll worth f*** all"

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 am

Kerry07 wrote:
devaney wrote:Look I haven't been Andy's biggest fan either and I have criticised you on numerous occasions for your bombastic over the top annihilation of Carroll.However the difference is that I'm prepared to give credit where it is due. He has proved in the last few games that we have not seen the best from him and whilst he may be limited he can make a very positive contribution. Yesterday's first goal against Brighton was as much down to Carroll as anybody else. The Brighton defenders concentrated on taking Andy out which left room for Martin to score.He made a positive contribution throughout the game and was most peoples MOTM including mine.

In the last few game it hash't all been long ball and Stoke style football. Look at his goal if you need further evidence of that!

Sums up my point.

Hes limited, so while he will make positive contributions here and there (as Heskey did) he lacks whats needed for a forward chasing leagues/cl. If we had had a decent forward over the past 12 months we wouldn't be sitting in 7th.

Andy Carroll at his very very best (the best hes shown in his career thus far) is nowhere near good enough for where we aspire to be.

I may seem very churlish, afterall hes just scored, made an assist... and has had positive contributions over the past month (the assist for Bellamy at Bolton was very good)... and perhaps i should JUST focus on this, but i tend to look at the bigger picture, always have done.

Kerry - you don't just seem a little churlish. You are negative in the extreme and it is tedious. We all look at the bigger picture and I prefer to look at how SouthCoastShankly has painted it. See his post above.

Lighten up and enjoy the moment. I remember saying something similar after we put both Manchester teams out of the cups over a period of 5 days!

You're never happy mate. If ever there was a time to stick together it is now!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:15 am

i don't know why certain people trot out the line that carroll can't pass or contribute to link up play. if you watch yesterday's game properly and keep an eye on him you'll see that this is completely untrue. its the same phenomena as when people were saying that lucas could only pass 5 yards sideways while blatantly ignoring the incisive forward passing he regularly showed. when someone has an agenda against a player they are incapable of objectively watching what they do.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:23 am

andy_g wrote:i don't know why certain people trot out the line that carroll can't pass or contribute to link up play. if you watch yesterday's game properly and keep an eye on him you'll see that this is completely untrue. its the same phenomena as when people were saying that lucas could only pass 5 yards sideways while blatantly ignoring the incisive forward passing he regularly showed. when someone has an agenda against a player they are incapable of objectively watching what they do.

Kerrys own words are being shoved ups her pessimistic ar'se and she doesnt like it.
I really question whether she is a supporter at all, but one thing is clear, her campaign aganst Carroll isnt working as he has started showing of the form some of us belived he had in him.
Never mind Kerry girl keep trying, you do cheer me up
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby aCe' » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Another good showing from Carroll and long may it continue. He will never have the best of first touches and will never take a man on convincingly but as long as he does what he does best (and thats work hard and win headers while keeping it simple on the ground) he'll make a decent player to have in the squad. Im still against the idea of him and Suarez being paired upfront because for me it takes away from Suarez's contribution to the side and the overall fluidity of our play. He HAS done well though and probably deserves a start in our next game but I just dont see it being a long term solution for us.

Obviously, while Carroll is playing well many will go over the top in his praise and thats understandable. However given ur preferred style of play and his overall contribution and displays this season I still think we need to sign a different type of attacking player to support Suarez and perhaps keep Carroll as an option on the bench or use him against opposition who struggle in defending high balls.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:16 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:
andy_g wrote:i don't know why certain people trot out the line that carroll can't pass or contribute to link up play. if you watch yesterday's game properly and keep an eye on him you'll see that this is completely untrue. its the same phenomena as when people were saying that lucas could only pass 5 yards sideways while blatantly ignoring the incisive forward passing he regularly showed. when someone has an agenda against a player they are incapable of objectively watching what they do.

Kerrys own words are being shoved ups her pessimistic ar'se and she doesnt like it.
I really question whether she is a supporter at all, but one thing is clear, her campaign aganst Carroll isnt working as he has started showing of the form some of us belived he had in him.

A her? or a him with a girls name?

a shim
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:32 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:

A her? or a him with a girls name?

a shim

The only people I know who talk like Kerry does are women
So far I have not seen or heard anything which would make me think I was mistaken
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:34 pm

aCe' wrote:Another good showing from Carroll and long may it continue. He will never have the best of first touches and will never take a man on convincingly but as long as he does what he does best (and thats work hard and win headers while keeping it simple on the ground) he'll make a decent player to have in the squad. Im still against the idea of him and Suarez being paired upfront because for me it takes away from Suarez's contribution to the side and the overall fluidity of our play. He HAS done well though and probably deserves a start in our next game but I just dont see it being a long term solution for us.

Obviously, while Carroll is playing well many will go over the top in his praise and thats understandable. However given ur preferred style of play and his overall contribution and displays this season I still think we need to sign a different type of attacking player to support Suarez and perhaps keep Carroll as an option on the bench or use him against opposition who struggle in defending high balls.

Who has gone over the top with his praise?
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Carroll was good again. Really starting to find his niche. I hope Kenny leaves him and Suarez alone for a while. Good stuff by both of 'em last night.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Kerry07 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:56 pm

aCe' wrote:Another good showing from Carroll and long may it continue. He will never have the best of first touches and will never take a man on convincingly but as long as he does what he does best (and thats work hard and win headers while keeping it simple on the ground) he'll make a decent player to have in the squad. Im still against the idea of him and Suarez being paired upfront because for me it takes away from Suarez's contribution to the side and the overall fluidity of our play. He HAS done well though and probably deserves a start in our next game but I just dont see it being a long term solution for us.

Concur completely.
"Its not just any other club" C.Tyldsley
"Liverpool are a special institution" X.Alonso
"Anfield es un templo de fútbol" AS
"The English club prove miracles do exist" D.Maradona
"Theres not one club in the world so united with its fans. Liverpool fans sent shivers down my spine" J.Cruyff
Kerry07

Postby Kerry07 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Poor Thommo STILL waiting for a bite. :laugh:

Been stuck on that riverbank for months... not a ripple. :( Stay strong soldier!
"Its not just any other club" C.Tyldsley
"Liverpool are a special institution" X.Alonso
"Anfield es un templo de fútbol" AS
"The English club prove miracles do exist" D.Maradona
"Theres not one club in the world so united with its fans. Liverpool fans sent shivers down my spine" J.Cruyff
Kerry07

Postby supersub » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Kerry07 wrote:Poor Thommo STILL waiting for a bite. :laugh:

Been stuck on that riverbank for months... not a ripple. :( Stay strong soldier!

I loved tales of the riverbank :)
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:The only people I know who talk like Kerry does are women
So far I have not seen or heard anything which would make me think I was mistaken
:nod

The FA will charge you...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:46 pm

supersub wrote:
Kerry07 wrote:Poor Thommo STILL waiting for a bite. :laugh:

I loved tales of the riverbank :)

Hammy hamster kicked a.rse.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:25 pm

A bit of steve hacktt to reminisce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpiNwXBp2Fo
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:24 pm

i think people tend to forget that for most of our `glory` years we played with a target man type center forward, we had tony hately, then toshack, then davey jonno and finally aldo.
the only period throughout our era of dominance that we didnt have a target man was when rush and dalglish were paired up front.
it`s worth saying too that the two best liverpool sides i ever saw in terms of playing style had david johnson (late 70`s) and john aldridge (late 80`s) up front, to say that target men ruin the style of footy you play is a myth.
aldo was worse than carroll in his general play but it didnt stop the likes of beardsley, barnes, mcmahon or houghton linking up well.
no way does 1 man effect the style you play, he only affects the style you play if the other players become lazy and just hoof it but thats not the CF`s fault if the others cant string passes together.
anyway carroll is quite good on the floor, his holding up play is improving every week.
i like carroll, he gives our attack a focal point and teams know they cant give away corners and cheap free kicks away around their box, he puts pressure on defences just being there.
plus has anyone noticed how other players have started scoring from set pieces when he`s in the team? defences focus that much on andy the likes of skrtel and agger are getting marked by smaller players.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion