Carras new book - Boss read.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:38 pm

I would think so as they were his boyhood club but he is definitely a LFC fan now.  he seems more of a scouser than anything else
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 am

You can listen to the Talk Sport hour with Carragher - http://www4.talksport.net/
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:39 pm

I,m on page 215 ( slow day in work :D ) it is a great read so far, intelligent and very straight forward in his opinions, his views on Houllier in particular are very interesting.

As for the Everton chapter he explains in it why he has included it, it was a big part of his life as a kid before he saw sense, a lot of players would have swerved the subject altogether and only wrote about what fans wanted to read so fair play to him for telling his story his way.

And he has finally put to rest the rumour that he has an Everton tattoo on his arm and thats the reason he wears long sleeves :D  the real reason is, of course, he thinks his arms are skinny, top book from a really honest and knowledgeable guy, legend  :nod
destro

Postby GYBS » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:07 pm

still should of waited till he retired , the last bit that has been printed in the paper waas out of order from him
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:19 pm

GYBS wrote:still should of waited till he retired , the last bit that has been printed in the paper waas out of order from him

quit whining and dont but it then. gosh!
maypaxvobiscum

Postby GYBS » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:05 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
GYBS wrote:still should of waited till he retired , the last bit that has been printed in the paper waas out of order from him

have you seen what has been published yesterday in the mirror from his book ? its nice and simple - airing our dirty laundry out in public once again ffs and its getting worse - from owners,manager,players and supporters - the club is becoming a laughing stock .
Last edited by GYBS on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:47 pm

GYBS wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:

have you seen what has been published yesterday in the mirror from his book ? its nice and simple - airing our dirty laundry out in public once again ffs and its getting worse - from owners,manager,players and supporters - the club is becoming a laughing stock .

i know mate....but i guess that's the direction we seem to be heading to. i wish it was like the old times when everything was so well-runned but its not like it anymore. its a soap opera. but we're still a team.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:26 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
GYBS wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:

i know mate....but i guess that's the direction we seem to be heading to. i wish it was like the old times when everything was so well-runned but its not like it anymore. its a soap opera. but we're still a team.

The problem is greed. Footballers are surrounded by agents. "hey sign this and you get a million for advertising hair gel !", "hey sign this and you get a million for driving a BMW", "hey sign this and you get a million for wearing, wait for it.... football boots !"

Biographys are a way of fleecing the most loyal of supporters of clubs because those people will pay to read it. Many of us agree that they would make better reads when they retire but then again, they can simply release another "unrestricted" bio and they will be bought. I will once they have finished with game, but the money is to be made while they are still playing.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:55 am

Carragher, who has a reputation of being one of the game’s straight talkers, also describes how Gerard Houllier underlined his authority by tearing a strip off Paul Ince but ended his reign a broken man after being struck down by a life-threatening heart condition.

‘Ince was the unwitting victim of the most brutal exhibition of management I have seen at Anfield,’ he says. Liverpool were leading an FA Cup fourth-round tie at Old Trafford
1-0 but, after Ince limped off, United fought back to win 2-1.

‘There was a team meeting a week later, and Ince decided, as club captain, it was time to take Houllier on. He questioned training methods and the response was furiously impressive.

‘Fixing Ince with a stare, Houllier asked: “Since the day I arrived, how many five-a-sides have you won? I’ll tell you — four in six months.”

‘Ince was bewildered, as we all were, by Houllier’s memory and grasp of detail, and it didn’t end there. “Now perhaps you can explain to the lads what happened to you against United. When my team are 1-0 up at Old Trafford in a cup tie, I don’t expect my captain to limp off with an injury. If he has to come off, I expect it to be on a stretcher.”

‘A few years later, the Houllier I saw was a pale imitation of the man who had taken on the most powerful player in the club. The illness had taken its toll, and he started asking Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen who he should pick.

‘I had a hollow feeling inside. I knew he had to go. The man needed a break and when his time was finally ended it came as a relief.’

------------------------------------------

I always had doubts about Ince's injury that day, I always thought he came off early to get the attention and applause, thinking the job was done. 

You have to feel sorry for Houllier reading that, but imo he clung on much too long, when he should have taken a break from football after his heart problems.

As for bringing out Autobiographies during their careers, I prefer it to waiting till they have finished , even though there are huge problems and pitfalls if they step much beyond  "we played great " .

I would rather get an insight into whats happening NOW, rather than reading about why Hanson preferred playing with Thompson rather than Lawrenson.
account deleted by request

Postby ste123lfc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:38 am

Reading the book at the moment and its certainly a no holes barred read. In the third chapter he is going on about all the young lads in the acadamy not getting the chance to break through the ranks into the first team because of all the young forigners that houlllier and benitez keep bringing in. He says one of the best young prospect for a while was Stephen Wright who was sold to Sunderland and replaced by Abel Xavier and Dominic Matteo who was replaced by Christian Ziega. He explains that this is one of the reasons that Steve Highway left the Acadamy because the young kids were not given the chance to prove themselves or were simply loaned out, only to be replaced by average players bought in for several million pounds.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby DavvaMak » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:22 am

i remember hearing about carra getting sparked by ruddock at a christmas party for singing everton's anti-pool songs on the karaoke.

any mention in the book or was this just one of them rumour's that did the rounds?
DavvaMak

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:51 am

ste123lfc wrote:Reading the book at the moment and its certainly a no holes barred read. In the third chapter he is going on about all the young lads in the acadamy not getting the chance to break through the ranks into the first team because of all the young forigners that houlllier and benitez keep bringing in. He says one of the best young prospect for a while was Stephen Wright who was sold to Sunderland and replaced by Abel Xavier and Dominic Matteo who was replaced by Christian Ziega. He explains that this is one of the reasons that Steve Highway left the Acadamy because the young kids were not given the chance to prove themselves or were simply loaned out, only to be replaced by average players bought in for several million pounds.

and he is 100% correct in highlighting this even though its obvious that this is happening
112-1077774096

Postby GYBS » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:31 am

If they are good enough they will come thru - Wright was never good enough and showed that . we got plenty of young scouse lads bursting through with a number including spearing and darby getting close to the first team . Rafa is going for the blanket coverage knowiing that prob 1 in 4 maybe will work out - the same thing wenger does and it works . A lot of those youngsters that rafa has got and is briniging thrown have special talents and look good for the future

Darby
Spearing
Ecclestone
Pacheco
Nemeth
San Jose
Plessis just to name a few .

Seen the young ressies a few times and they got a great blend of scouse heart and steel plus continental flare and will get a chance to prove themselves.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yooj Bigullz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:04 pm

Its not the same as Wenger does. If he thinks players are good enough he plays them regardless of age
Yooj Bigullz

Postby GYBS » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:06 pm

Then i guess rafa doesnt think they are good enough yet so only plays the people he thinks are good enough .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion