Carragher - Worrying form

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue May 12, 2009 12:44 am

7_Kewell wrote:Ok, this probably won’t be a popular thing to come out and say, but this season I’ve started to wonder if Carragher is really our best CB anymore. His pace has all but left him and his distribution is getting worse.

Sure, he is still commanding in the box and can read the game, but he’s becoming a liability at times and i’m wondering if Rafa should not at least have a few games with Agger and Skrtel at the back to at least give Carra a rest. After all, he does play every min of every match and i’m sure that this doesn’t help as he gets older.

Hopefully this post doesn’t just attract a load of abuse, but i honestly think Carra has been rather average for a couple of seasons now and his time with us may have peaked.

*runs off to hide*

I honestly thought  I could  never envisage a day ,that Carragher would be brought to task over his defending (even by the over zealous on this forum) ,seems I was apparently wrong ... (Where's Leon when you need him ? )   :no
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:04 am

next year i feel will be his last as a player for us.
he will take a spet back into the new look bootroom and start his work to get ready to be a manager, Kenny says Carragherwill make a great Liverpool manager and from what some have told me he has already started working on his qualifications.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue May 12, 2009 9:14 am

Carra is only 31 and still got at least another two full seasons in him then will start to work on his coaching etc he just needs a nice rest this summer then back fresh again .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Tue May 12, 2009 9:19 am

bigmick wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:A couple of points:
I would rather have him than Rio Ferdinand any day
Sammi Hyppia is older, never had pace and is still a force to be reconned with

I rate Carra as our best defender by a distance, but also think he's probably not quite what he was two or three seasons ago. Doesn't mean he can't get there again though, players sometimes just need to reinvent themselves to take account of their changing physicality. Carra probably needs to have a wee look at his starting positions during matches, if he works on those he'll be back to his best next season I reckon.

The reason I quoted Sir Roger was because of the Rio Ferdinand reference. Surely a case of allowing understandable anti-Man Utd bias to cloud judgfement over a player mate? I'd be amazed if Carra himself thinks he's a better player than Ferdinand. If we had Ferdinand and therefore naturally by definition they didn't, we'd have won the title this season comfortably IMHO.

Carra's not quite the player he was...yes, for this season. And for the Ferdinand reference, he's overrated mick. He's a lazy bast@rd. Not because of the anti-man Utd bias. I would praise any player i think is good e.g Vidic, Evra. But no for Ferdinand. His advantages? Glamourous, his physics.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 12, 2009 10:00 am

He's just looked knackered to me in recent weeks. He isn't getting any younger and he's hardly had a rest all season, mainly due to the fact that he's the only one of our centre backs who's been regularly fit.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sir Roger » Tue May 12, 2009 7:13 pm

red_guy wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:A couple of points:
I would rather have him than Rio Ferdinand any day
Sammi Hyppia is older, never had pace and is still a force to be reconned with

I rate Carra as our best defender by a distance, but also think he's probably not quite what he was two or three seasons ago. Doesn't mean he can't get there again though, players sometimes just need to reinvent themselves to take account of their changing physicality. Carra probably needs to have a wee look at his starting positions during matches, if he works on those he'll be back to his best next season I reckon.

The reason I quoted Sir Roger was because of the Rio Ferdinand reference. Surely a case of allowing understandable anti-Man Utd bias to cloud judgfement over a player mate? I'd be amazed if Carra himself thinks he's a better player than Ferdinand. If we had Ferdinand and therefore naturally by definition they didn't, we'd have won the title this season comfortably IMHO.

Carra's not quite the player he was...yes, for this season. And for the Ferdinand reference, he's overrated mick. He's a lazy bast@rd. Not because of the anti-man Utd bias. I would praise any player i think is good e.g Vidic, Evra. But no for Ferdinand. His advantages? Glamourous, his physics.

Absolutely
How much was he?
How many years ago?
Over-rated shi'thouse who goes missing when the going gets tough.
Lapses of concentration and would never take one in the face for the team.
I might be a little bit biased but I would say it no matter who he played for.
In his favour he rarely gets rattled. But thats because he usually has a big lad next to him doing the physical stuff
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 pm

That's what I love about football, it's all about opinions. Mine is that Ferdinand is the best centre half in the Premiership by a fairly wide margin.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:20 pm

bigmick wrote:That's what I love about football, it's all about opinions. Mine is that Ferdinand is the best centre half in the Premiership by a fairly wide margin.

I'd agree he's the best Mick, but the fairly wide margin part I'm not so sure of.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Tue May 12, 2009 9:46 pm

john craig wrote:
bigmick wrote:That's what I love about football, it's all about opinions. Mine is that Ferdinand is the best centre half in the Premiership by a fairly wide margin.

I'd agree he's the best Mick, but the fairly wide margin part I'm not so sure of.

I use to think Ferdinand was the most overated player ever but when the mancs have been without him this season they have looked very dodgy to say the least and as much as I hate to say it I think he is the best in the prem
roberto green

Postby SuuPeRrSteviieG!! » Wed May 13, 2009 9:49 am

Octsky wrote:how old is carra? late 20's, comon guys, that a peak period for a defender. believe carra still have much to offer to the club. but wat's up with rafa rotating agger and skertel alternate games? trying to keep both happy? or cant made up his mind?

hes in his early 30's plus hes looking for a decent partnership between the 3 of our CB's but IMO the only defender who has performed for us this season in the centre of our defence has got to be carra or quite a stretch from him agger. Skrtel has been poor for us this season, hope he can improve because in the near future i sense Agger and Skrtel to be a vital part in our game, just need a bit more experience IMO.Don't write Carragher off, how many times have people doubted him and then he has won people back over ? come on lets be honest now ? Carragher is by far the best defender in our team with  out a shout. 

YNWA
SuuPeRrSteviieG!!

Postby SuuPeRrSteviieG!! » Wed May 13, 2009 9:55 am

Are you seriously blind :| Vidic just makes him look better because vidic might aswell be 2 players in one rarely makes a mistake, ferdinand always makes mistakes and Vidic is there to pick the pieces up and keep him from getting a telling off! open ur eyes mate and have another look maybe u might learn something!!!

YNWA
SuuPeRrSteviieG!!

Postby bigmick » Wed May 13, 2009 10:26 am

SuuPeRrSteviieG!! wrote:

Are you seriously blind :| Vidic just makes him look better because vidic might aswell be 2 players in one rarely makes a mistake, ferdinand always makes mistakes and Vidic is there to pick the pieces up and keep him from getting a telling off! open ur eyes mate and have another look maybe u might learn something!!!

YNWA

:D You never know I might just learn something, Next time I watch him I'dd do it with my eyes open :laugh:.

Thanks for the tip.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion