Carra - Second Phase of Career

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue May 05, 2015 5:54 am

I have an admission to make.

I was wrong concerning Carra. I thought he was only a player and I was against him getting into management as I didn't think he had the acumen to manage in all it's guises, at a major football club.

Since he started his game analysis on tv you see he understands the wider aspect of the game, he's not just 'a defender', he's not just a local lad who made good. He has an indepth appreciation of the space on the field, who should be operating where and how a game is broken down tactically.

I'd like to see the lad an Anfield, he has the passion and leadership that the team is woefully lacking at the moment. I'd put him alongside BR as first team coach (as opposed to manager) and expect to see him form a good partnership with BR as a result. The blow of losing SG would be forgotten overnight it Carra was on the training field and sideline.

I see a lot of Rafa in Carra.  He has the nous and the drive to get LFC back on track.  Stop wasting money on soft-lad signings and invest 1/4 of the money on the backroom and get those players we do have, fired up and playing properly.

Good article here:    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 22790.html
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue May 05, 2015 7:35 am

Yes...... He is extremely knowledgable and if he was in our coaching team...i am pretty sure our defending (setpeices, positioning, offsides...etc) would have been much better.

I don't want to make another rant against rodgers.... but when his coaching team includes the like of pascoe and marsh..is it any wonder why we look all over the place when we are having 2 games every week. Rodgers and his team just don't know how to prepare the team mentally when we have loads of games in a short span of time (it is not as if things are way better now when we are back to rodgers comfort zone...1 game a season).

Coming back to carra...i believe he should be our Asst manager soon (or at least our defensive coach). He has played under 2 tacticaly astute managers (houllier and rafa). He has what it takes to make it in coaching/management.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Tue May 05, 2015 7:40 am

Have you read his book, Reg? Excellent read. Surprised he didn't go on to manage the team.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Boocity » Tue May 05, 2015 8:25 am

I cant see BR agreeing to Carra coming in as asst manager or anything as he would see that as a threat to him thats why he surrounds himself with nobodies so there is no challenge to him being the main man.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue May 05, 2015 8:31 am

Yes I have the booked in the house somewhere, he was too inexperienced to go straight into management mate, he needs to spend time round the players coaching first. I think the break in tv will have done him good, to sit back and form opinions/analyse from afar.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Tue May 05, 2015 8:58 am

Reg » Tue May 05, 2015 7:31 am wrote:Yes I have the booked in the house somewhere, he was too inexperienced to go straight into management mate, he needs to spend time round the players coaching first. I think the break in tv will have done him good, to sit back and form opinions/analyse from afar.

I agree. And punditry should provide him with a wider, impartial approach. But I find it difficult to think of an example of a player who went onto be a pundit and then a successful manager. He really knows his stuff though. We talk of Suarez, Rodgers etc but the team hasn't looked itself since Jamie left us :(
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Reg » Tue May 05, 2015 9:57 am

There's a heck of a difference between being a good player and a good manager. How many good managers are there in the EPL? Five? 99% of players simply don't have what it takes, it's not all instinct.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 05, 2015 1:43 pm

I always thought alan hansen would make a great coach but he never was interested and preferred to stick at being a pundit. Carra is a fantastic at it and himself and neville are the new keys and gray for sky so I would doubt he will give that up to enter into a world of stress and pressure. He is also more than likely earning more at sky than he would with us.

Hopefully he will at some stage come back but I cannot see it under rodgers.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue May 05, 2015 4:45 pm

Boocity » Tue May 05, 2015 7:25 am wrote:I cant see BR agreeing to Carra coming in as asst manager or anything as he would see that as a threat to him thats why he surrounds himself with nobodies so there is no challenge to him being the main man.

There's probably some truth in this.

However, I think our backroom is crying out for someone like Carra, who knows the game inside out and carries the upmost respect from everyone associated with LFC.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue May 05, 2015 6:03 pm

7_Kewell » Tue May 05, 2015 3:45 pm wrote:
Boocity » Tue May 05, 2015 7:25 am wrote:I cant see BR agreeing to Carra coming in as asst manager or anything as he would see that as a threat to him thats why he surrounds himself with nobodies so there is no challenge to him being the main man.

There's probably some truth in this.

However, I think our backroom is crying out for someone like Carra, who knows the game inside out and carries the upmost respect from everyone associated with LFC.

Totally agree 7_K, I just can't see BR agreeing to it, hope I'm wrong
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundreamin is back » Wed May 06, 2015 6:30 am

Phil Thompson Manager. Carra Assistant Manager. DREAM TEAM?
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby LFC1990 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:58 am

I said in many posts before that carra needs to be involved in the set up at the club.

I would love to see him work with a very attack minded manager but bot Rodgers someone like Klopp could you imagine the fear the lads would feel going into the dressing room if they are playing badly or losing

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed May 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Dundreamin is back » Wed May 06, 2015 5:30 am wrote:Phil Thompson Manager. Carra Assistant Manager. DREAM TEAM?

Thommo played a huge part in the modernisation of LFC. Before him and Houllier came in, LFC was out of control, with players getting drunk and living the Spice Boys dream. Thommo came in a pretty much laid down the law and helped transform the squad into professional athletes. He also told Ruddock and Ince to f**k off  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Wed May 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Reg » Tue May 05, 2015 4:54 am wrote:I have an admission to make.

I was wrong concerning Carra. I thought he was only a player and I was against him getting into management as I didn't think he had the acumen to manage in all it's guises, at a major football club.

Since he started his game analysis on tv you see he understands the wider aspect of the game, he's not just 'a defender', he's not just a local lad who made good. He has an indepth appreciation of the space on the field, who should be operating where and how a game is broken down tactically.

I'd like to see the lad an Anfield, he has the passion and leadership that the team is woefully lacking at the moment. I'd put him alongside BR as first team coach (as opposed to manager) and expect to see him form a good partnership with BR as a result. The blow of losing SG would be forgotten overnight it Carra was on the training field and sideline.

I see a lot of Rafa in Carra.  He has the nous and the drive to get LFC back on track.  Stop wasting money on soft-lad signings and invest 1/4 of the money on the backroom and get those players we do have, fired up and playing properly.

Good article here:    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 22790.html

Have to agree Reg. He comes across as a far more intelligent guy than I would ever have given him credit for, to my shame. I don't know if he's management material yet, but he's certainly eligible for a coaching position at Anfield, no doubt. Management has to be able to take a lot of flak from the media and being a pundit doesn't really prepare a player for that. Nonetheless, his punditry has been an eyeopener. I find myself in agreement with a lot. Gary Neville too...  :blush:

Wasn't there some talk of him as a goalkeeper coach at some point or something? I seem to remember something along the lines of that when he left. I can't remember now.
tonyeh

Postby damjan193 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:24 pm

I was always under the impression that Carra would remain with the club as a coach after he retires as a player. To be honest I was very surprised when he took the job at Sky. I hope that he'll return to us one day. He understands the game, he has the right attitude and is a club legend, doesn't get much better than that. His return (if it ever happens) won't be anytime soon though. Sky have a good thing going over there with Carra and Neville so I doubt they'd let him go easily. Carra himself seems to enjoy it there as well.

Anyway, I've wanted to have him in our coaching staff since God knows when (as opposed to Stevie, who I think won't be a good coach/manager), so I really hope that he returns one day and even gets to be the manager.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion