Carra for england

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red squirrel » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:29 pm

Thats an interesting point Stu. I must admit that Carra used to be quite poor with his passing ability under Houllier and i was'nt totally convinced with him a few years back. But under Benitez he's turned into a totally different player with bags of confidence and a new and rejuvenated passing tecnique. But with Ferdinand he's allways been excellent in that department anyway. Its a case of balancing up the pros and cons and i have to say Carra's a better battler and tackler but definately not as an all round player. Having said that Carra is getting better and better as the weeks go by and would definately deserve a place in the England team on merit alone.
Red squirrel

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:48 pm

Carra V Ferdinand?

Basically Ferdinand has bags more ability, his first touch is as good as anyone in the game and he is a fantastic passer of the ball.  Carra's first touch is heavy a lot of the time and his distribution is average.  Ferdinad also reads the game better than Carra.  Is Ferdinand a better footballer than Carra?  In my opinion yes.

But is Ferdinand a better defender than Carra?  Ferdinand is better aerially (Carra plays more of a sweeper role and lets Sami win it in the air) and has more pace.  He is a better marker and rarely loses his man.  Carra is stronger, better in the tackle, braver and most importantly he is more vocal on the pitch and an organiser.  He is also more consistent and less prone to blunders than Ferdinand.  So in terms of out-and-out defending goes, Carra would get the nod.

We have to remember though that centre half is a partnership.  The reason Carra looks so good for us is that Hyypia wins EVERYTHING in the air.  Carra wouldn't look half as good beside a less dominant partner as he's not particularly great in the air.

Overall if Ferdinand got his head right he'd be England's best defender, but he's lost his way big time.  Cares too much about the cash, no focus on the pitch anymore and frankly not hungry enough for success.  Carra is the complete opposite, his mentality is spot on and is his main attribute. 

No one could slot in in place of Carra and do as good a job for Liverpool at this point in time because no one plays for the shirt like him.  But at International level I don't think he'd have just as much passion, which would detract from his game, and there are better players ahead of him to play for England.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:18 pm

:D  ooops, got a few going on that topic.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:51 pm

In reply to John Craig.

I disagree about Carragher being stronger. Carraghers more aggressive but i wouldn't say he has as much physical strength.

But you've pretty much said what i meant.

I genuinely believe if you put Carragher in any other side in the world, England included, you'd have no more than a decent player. He's not what i'd call international class, but the passion and guts he has for us aswell as the respect he has at the club, means it sort of takes him for another level.

A level that he's not really at (if thats the right way of putting it).
115-1073096938

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:01 pm

Excellent post JC. Sums it all up really, and as Stu has said above, its his guts and heart that take him to another level, but also as Stu says, put him in any team that is not LIVERPOOL, then he will NEVER have the same passion and thus, lose a lot of his game.

But I think the most important point of your post was this:
We have to remember though that centre half is a partnership.  The reason Carra looks so good for us is that Hyypia wins EVERYTHING in the air.  Carra wouldn't look half as good beside a less dominant partner as he's not particularly great in the air.
76-1115222408

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:15 pm

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:as Stu has said above, its his guts and heart that take him to another level, but also as Stu says, put him in any team that is not LIVERPOOL, then he will NEVER have the same passion and thus, lose a lot of his game.

Definitely, Stu has said that before on here and it's always something I've agreed with.  Take Carra and put him in any other team and he wouldn't be the same player.

But I also think all this talk about bringing in a quick centre half is bollox.  If we bring someone in to replace Hyypia then the most important thing is to bring in someone who's going to win the aerial battle.  Because Carra thrives on sweeping up around Hyypia, take away Hyypia and Carra's going to struggle.  I'm concerned that Benitez was trying to sign Milito, the guy's 5'9'', NOT the type of replacement we need for Sami.  I hope he recognises the fact that Carra has to play alongside a dominant centre-half, not necessarily a faster one.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:22 pm

Exactly, we need the aerial presence next to Carra and I just hope we get the right man, becuase if not, it wont be just the lack of winning header challenges that we will see, we are likely to see Carra get a bit exposed, especially if he has to come and do some heading himself, because I dont know if the 'new' CB, will do what Carra does when Sami heads it away - drop off and as you say become almost a 'sweeper'.
If this dropping off doesnt happen, I can see us leaking a few more goals than at the moment, especially if up against a pacy front two.
76-1115222408

Postby mighty mo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:28 pm

i would have carra over rio  or campbell anytime,him and terry for england would be awesome
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:14 pm

England squad: Robinson (Tottenham), Green (Norwich), James (Man City), Neville (Everton), Young (Charlton), Bridge (Chelsea), Konchesky (West Ham), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), Campbell (Arsenal), King (Tottenham), Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), J Cole (Chelsea), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Jenas (Tottenham), Smith (Man Utd), Carrick (Tottenham), Owen (Newcastle), Rooney (Man Utd), Defoe (Tottenham), Crouch (Liverpool).

No Carragher which is a disgrace in itself. However at least he can't get injured now. :nod
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:16 pm

Carra is not even in the Englan Squad announced today !!
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:19 pm

I cant believe that at all?

And James back in? Did you see him yesterday, more of a comedy show then a football match!

I think svens just pulls it out of a hat. Disgusting.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:19 pm

Dont get me wrong i,m glad in one way so he dosnt get injured,but its a :censored: disgrace
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:20 pm

Carra not even in the squad is a joke.  Eriksson never ceases to amaze
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:23 pm

stmichael wrote:England squad: Robinson (Tottenham), Green (Norwich), James (Man City), Neville (Everton), Young (Charlton), Bridge (Chelsea), Konchesky (West Ham), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), Campbell (Arsenal), King (Tottenham), Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), J Cole (Chelsea), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Jenas (Tottenham), Smith (Man Utd), Carrick (Tottenham), Owen (Newcastle), Rooney (Man Utd), Defoe (Tottenham), Crouch (Liverpool).

No Carragher which is a disgrace in itself. However at least he can't get injured now. :nod

no woodgate?  ???  Sven loves him.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:17 pm

I think it's a new fashion in international football. I reckon that those are games that the coachs are playing in order to send the message that anybody can lose their place, and to let candidates know that they can struggle for a place in the world championship.

In Spain, Aragones has left Joaquin out (and Joaquin has publicly said he's sad (1)). Aragones says that  he picks the best form players every time, but that's hard to believe, cos I think that Joaquin is doing good games lately. Luis Garcia hasn't been doing a good season in Liverpool, til 3 games ago, in which he started to bring good stuff. So I guess that it's all about motivation, about sending messages to the candidates.

Sabre

(1) Aragones can't afford to be without Joaquin in the WC, assuming we beat Slovakia.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion