Can we win the league next season? - Honestly

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ckay » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:29 pm

stmichael wrote:
sendô WHU wrote:Personally I think Liverpool are more than capable of winning the league - or at least challenging for it - next season. Once you can outplay teams like Chelsea in a match then it stands to reason that you can match them over the course of a season.

Liverpools weakness seems to be their strikeforce. Morientes hasn't lived up to expectation, Cisse is good but doesnt seem to be the 20 goal a season man you've missed since Owen left. Fowler (although you lot worship him), it must be said, is past his best, and not really good enough to be the man to win you the league. Crouch is crouch, he is what he is, nothing more. If Liverpool can sign a prolific goalscorer over the summer, then I'll be looking forward to a competative title race next year, and the look on 'the special ones' face when Chelsea fail to win anything.

i don't think anyone would disagree with you on that mate.

speaking of strikers, what do you think of marlon harewood? i'll be honest i've been surprised just how well he's done in the premiership this year. i thought he'd struggle.

He was cr@p at Forest and was picked up for next to nothing.
Pardew has done wonders with him, he's even a possible for an England call up. WOW
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sendô WHU » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:39 pm

stmichael wrote:
sendô WHU wrote:Personally I think Liverpool are more than capable of winning the league - or at least challenging for it - next season. Once you can outplay teams like Chelsea in a match then it stands to reason that you can match them over the course of a season.

Liverpools weakness seems to be their strikeforce. Morientes hasn't lived up to expectation, Cisse is good but doesnt seem to be the 20 goal a season man you've missed since Owen left. Fowler (although you lot worship him), it must be said, is past his best, and not really good enough to be the man to win you the league. Crouch is crouch, he is what he is, nothing more. If Liverpool can sign a prolific goalscorer over the summer, then I'll be looking forward to a competative title race next year, and the look on 'the special ones' face when Chelsea fail to win anything.

i don't think anyone would disagree with you on that mate.

speaking of strikers, what do you think of marlon harewood? i'll be honest i've been surprised just how well he's done in the premiership this year. i thought he'd struggle.

I must admit I was a little suprised in Harewood myself. He has always shown a lot of potential, but at the beginning of the season I feared he wouldn't make the step up and would turn into an average Prem player. He has worked hard all year and it seems to be paying off for him at the mo.

Harewood is built like a brick :censored: and as quick as any defender in the Prem. He has skill, and eye for goal, and is hard working, and so has the ability to scare any defender. Playing in euope next year will help his game a lot, and if he continues to improve next year how he has improved next year I'll be a happy man, and an England call up will be a must.
sendô WHU

Postby taff » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:38 pm

I know some hammers fans and they didnt think he would do that well this year but he has proved people wrong and good luck to him.

Bet your gutted about Millwall eh  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:45 pm

Bad Bob wrote:1) We bring in that extra bit of quality in attack

2) We maintain our domination of the 'lower' teams and improve our results against the big clubs

3) We manage to avoid long-term injuries to key players

That would do it I reckon, but still three big asks.
Maybe the third is more of a lucky ask but still........
66-1112520797

Postby shineshin » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:16 pm

if the attacking continue like that i think cannot and hypia is old enough already~he need to rest
and erm~winger especially right winger should be more and more~
buy someone like top stirker erm~
i think fulham JOHN not bad~~~~ :)
shineshin

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:23 pm

sendô WHU wrote:Harewood is built like a brick :censored: and as quick as any defender in the Prem. He has skill, and eye for goal, and is hard working, and so has the ability to scare any defender. Playing in euope next year will help his game a lot, and if he continues to improve next year how he has improved next year I'll be a happy man, and an England call up will be a must.

where have i heard that before? :oops:

oh yeah, a certain striker who we brought for £11m from leicester. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby alxy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:55 am

it isn't so much that we will win the league next year... but that chelsea will slip up... i don't think we have the consistency yet to deliver 90+ points in a season.... and that's what it'll take nowadays to win the league unless chelski gets back to normal (yes, i believe they're on a high... i don't think they can keep doing this year in year out)...just have to make sure we're ready to pounce when they do...
alxy

Postby PCG77 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:08 am

key to the improvement is the spend the £ wisely. we need a genuine 25+ goal striker and a couple of wingers. We have 1 definately coming but we need 2 for each side. Harry K and Mark G but we also need back up. Possibly we can look to the reserves ie Anderson and Hamill? but its a large burden for a couple of teenagers.

We need more goals from our midfield! Yes, Stevie G supplied plenty this season but we need more from Momo and Xabi. With Harry coming back to his best i would love to see him knock in 10 or more.
PCG77

Postby PCG77 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:11 am

Chelsea will return to normal once the dirty russian wins the champions league and becomes bored. He will back up his huskies and sled his way back home and drink some good old vodka..
PCG77

Postby anti-hero » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:00 am

Chelsea wont be "returning to normal" anytime soon. Money buys a lot of things and unfortunately, it buys success too. Be it deserved or not.

We can definately challenge for the Premiership next season though winning it would require the club to be a whole LOT more consistent than we were this year.

Lets be honest.

Chelsea rarely slip up.

To win the Premiership in my opinion, would require us to have better results against Chelsea, Manchester, Arsenal and Tottenham, while maintaining, or preferrably, improving our level of consistency.

Consistency has been central to Chelsea's success these past seasons though they are surprised occasionally, they more often than not, take 3 points.

Liverpool can no longer afford losses against mid-table teams. We've dropped valuable points against teams like Charlton and Birmingham and those points have cost us dear.

We need to turn the draws into wins and the losses into draws.

I know Rafa's aware of this and we all know he has a plan. I wouldnt think that Rafa will only bring a striker and a winger. I'm guessing he has been tracking some other players. Many know that Rafa didnt spend all, if not most of his transfer funds during the January window and I believe there is more than enough left to secure the services of 2 more unnamed players for the squad.

Besides Mark Gonzalez, Gabriel Palleta, Fabio Aurelio and another player whose name currently eludes me, I think Rafa may pull off some coups before the start of next season.

Hopefully though.

Heres with my fingers crossed. :D
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:44 pm

what is this thread
you doubt we will gonna be champion epl next year?

aaargh, certainly we can okay?

very can!!! :angry:
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby joko » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:45 pm

i want write again because angry:

we can, very can, vary very!

that's all!!!
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:54 pm

joko wrote:i want write again because angry:

we can, very can, vary very!

that's all!!!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

"we can, very can, vary very"!!!!!!

Another LFC newkit cult hero is born!  :buttrock
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:53 pm

I think the short answer to the original post is yes, we can win the league next year.  We are one of 4 teams who could say that though and it will depend on a number of things throughout the season such as injuries to key players, burnout after the world cup, distractions like a long CL run and most importantly...luck.  And not to mention what happens in the transfer market this summer.

Chelsea - They will spend in the summer.  Ballack will come in but to be honest I can't see how they can accomodate Ballack and Lampard in the same midfield, so it may not work.  They will get players becoming unsettled - watch for SWP and Duff becoming frustrated at a lack of chances.  And above all Mourinho is poor in the transfer market, I wouldn't back him to bring in the right centre forward to be honest, no matter how much cash they have.  I'll go on record now and say Chelsea will not win the Prem next season.

Man U - Hard to say.  Of the big 4 they have the most rebuilding to do imo.  Excellent in the wide positions and up front, but the midfield is poor.  No keane, Giggs is 33 and Scholes 31.  I don't think they can win it next year.

Arsenal - If Henry stays, they get Cole and Campbell fit and bring in one or two others, then I think they could become the team to beat again next season. But there's a few too many 'ifs' there.  I personally think Henry will go.

Liverpool - Best midfield in the league, imo the best defence also.  A lot is made of the right mid position, but personally I think if Gerrard wins player of the year playing there then that's where he should stay.  I don't think you can drop Alonso, Gerrard or Momo for the big games, so you have to find a way of playing all 3.  Crouch has had a good season and Fowler will be a good squad man, but swapping Nando and Cisse for 2 quality first choice strikers would be the best move imo.  If we had a front pairing of a Rooney and a Van Nistelrooy we'd have walked the league this year.  Don't squander money on a Simao or a Joaquin Rafa, get 2 quality strikers in and we'll win the league next year imo.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:16 pm

let me add to your post

wrt to chelski how big of an incremental improveent can they get with ballack-- not huge and unless fat frank leaves imho it'll be a disaster-- to many first rate midfielders

arsenal -- if henry leaves they have real issues- they will be beatable in any event

man u -- fergy had a miraculous coaching season- that team is not good but he made them win -- if he adds central midfield and central defence they could be a contender

pool -- add a fast center forward with skill and a right mid and we are set-- it will be a major improvement-- if we've closed as much as we have this year and improve more in the transfer market wrt to chelski we should/could win it all

i guess my point is that chelski really don't have any glaring holes thus can't get much better without changing style but we can. we'll never have their depth but after watching the fa cup game we are better than them tactically and as a 'team'. i really think that that game was their stalingrad, and the tide has turned.
vlady16.1

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion