Can we win the league next season? - Honestly

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby joko » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:23 pm

liverpool champion europe, next year to champion england, okay?
yes liverpool!
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:24 pm

Yes I think we can

But some points that we need to consider

We have improved our points tally considerably but we are still behind, to win the league we need consistency against the smaller teams but we also need to take some scalps against the big boys especially Chelsea.  After they beat us in the league it gave them a gap and a psychological advantage.

Mourhino has showed himself to be a a-ss but we cannot underestimate his achievements.  He has got Chelsea playing with togetherness and they are tough. The beating of west Ham for example BUT cracks have started to appear and to win the league we have to put pressure on them from the very start and so do Manure and Arsenal (who havent turned up this season).  But anyone hopefull for a Chelsea collapse will be waiting a long time.

We really need one for each position if we are to have an european run as well. We are only a couple of players short of this.

But for me the most important thing.
Chelsea are more or less at the top but we are in ascendancy and the team is gelling and improving.  A couple of results next season different from this season and it will be a battle till the end.  If we had just beaten Chelsea twice the league would be still on with the Mancs in with a good shout, now if we had taken more points off them it would be us its as tight as that.

But these are big games and its those ones that win you the league.

Chelsea do look like there are cracks and while they must still be favourites the aura around them will be less strong next year and hopefully the smaller clubs will take a point here and there therefore increasing the pressure on them with us and the mancs and the wenger boys closing in on them

We should not underestimate the mancs, however much we want to see them collapse they are still a force
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:30 pm

its weird when you look back... first game at the riverside 'the stevie show' we bossed the game and should have won. -2 points.

charlton at home, again we dominated. 21 shots at goal. -2 points.

etc..etc

in hindsight wins from those two games alone would have us now in second place and with man utd going to the bridge tomorrow..could well have had 2nd spot almost in the bag.

its that close, winning/failing. its just when you look back and think, what could have been......

but next season... bring it on!  :buttrock

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:31 pm

taff wrote:to win the league we need consistency against the smaller teams but we also need to take some scalps against the big boys especially Chelsea.

and here in lies the key point.

under houllier we seemed to always beat the big boys but slip up against the smaller teams. well now we beat teams we should be beating 95% of the time but still struggle against the other big boys.

if we had beat chelsea twice in the league we would be three points behind them now. we threw two points away at old trafford in the last minute of a game we dominated for long periods. we threw two points away at highbury due to a poor gerrard backpass. all these points add up.

as i mentioned earlier, our poor start to the season, when we couldn't buy a goal in the league has cost us big style.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dundalk » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:32 pm

joko wrote:liverpool champion europe, next year to champion england, okay?
yes liverpool!

Now theres a guy who knows what he is on about!!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:40 pm

Dundalk wrote:
joko wrote:liverpool champion europe, next year to champion england, okay?
yes liverpool!

Now theres a guy who knows what he is on about!!

:D
He's clever enough to put up his picture as an avatar!
  :D
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:43 pm

i think you'll find thats an actor
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:47 pm

I think yes what about you?  :D

Seriously, our improvement this season underscores that we have a good shot at the title next season providing:

1) We bring in that extra bit of quality in attack

2) We maintain our domination of the 'lower' teams and improve our results against the big clubs

3) We manage to avoid long-term injuries to key players

This last point is something often overlooked but we've been very fortunate this season.  Only Zenden has had a truly long-term injury (Sissoko came back 1 month later...which still has me shaking my head!).  Last season Stevie, Xabi, Cisse and Kewell were missing for vast stretches.  If our nucleus of starters manages to stay off the treatment table for most of the season, we're in there with a shout!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The_Rock » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:54 pm

babu wrote:
stmichael wrote:next season's premiership race will be the best in history imo. all of the big four will have a realistic chance of winning it and i think they'll all still have a chance come the closing weeks of the season.

I think i am letting my emotions get the better of me but i firmly believe that if Chelsea still have Jose as manager next season, they will struggle to get in the top 3 and it will be btw us Manu and Arsenal.

sorry dude...but that bull. Jose's is a d1ckhead....but he is a great manager (just like our rafa)... If he stays, chelsea will always be the favourites (in the near future that is).
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:15 pm

The_Rock wrote:
babu wrote:
stmichael wrote:next season's premiership race will be the best in history imo. all of the big four will have a realistic chance of winning it and i think they'll all still have a chance come the closing weeks of the season.

I think i am letting my emotions get the better of me but i firmly believe that if Chelsea still have Jose as manager next season, they will struggle to get in the top 3 and it will be btw us Manu and Arsenal.

sorry dude...but that bull. Jose's is a d1ckhead....but he is a great manager (just like our rafa)... If he stays, chelsea will always be the favourites (in the near future that is).

Sorry Rock but I think your wrong. Look at the errors he made on Saturday. He picked the wrong squad and Rafa out thought him. By the time he got it sorted the game was over.
He's been guilty of making the wrong squad choice and formation but has been lucky enough to have exceptional players to cover his :censored:!!!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:16 pm

Striker and Winger acquired and yes we can.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:20 pm

maureen's major strength is his exceptional man management. look at how he's improved joe cole for example.

however from a tactical standpoint he couldn't lace rafa's boots.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:20 pm

Yeah I don't see why not.  After all we have dramatically improved upon last season's campaign and I suspect us to continue to improve. I think we just need to sign one or two new strikers who can both get in the region of 35-40 goals between them, plus whatever Fowler (if he stays) and Crouch can get. A right winger who can help increase our creativity up field and add some zest to our attacking threat.

At back we are solid, along with Reina and in midfield we are solid, I think all we need to do is get one or two new strikers who can score as I said between 35-40 goals between them and we should win more matches and collect more points.

But we must take note of who Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd sign too. I can see Chelsea signing even more players to add to their squad and I can see United signing some good players as well as Arsenal's youngsters gaining experience and togetherness as a team.

I think a vital indication of how well are season will be is if we get off to a good start and don't drop points too quickly into the campaign. I think we can play consistantly over the course of the season, we can win the League.
48-1119859832

Postby sendô WHU » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:22 pm

Personally I think Liverpool are more than capable of winning the league - or at least challenging for it - next season. Once you can outplay teams like Chelsea in a match then it stands to reason that you can match them over the course of a season.

Liverpools weakness seems to be their strikeforce. Morientes hasn't lived up to expectation, Cisse is good but doesnt seem to be the 20 goal a season man you've missed since Owen left. Fowler (although you lot worship him), it must be said, is past his best, and not really good enough to be the man to win you the league. Crouch is crouch, he is what he is, nothing more. If Liverpool can sign a prolific goalscorer over the summer, then I'll be looking forward to a competative title race next year, and the look on 'the special ones' face when Chelsea fail to win anything.
sendô WHU

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:25 pm

sendô WHU wrote:Personally I think Liverpool are more than capable of winning the league - or at least challenging for it - next season. Once you can outplay teams like Chelsea in a match then it stands to reason that you can match them over the course of a season.

Liverpools weakness seems to be their strikeforce. Morientes hasn't lived up to expectation, Cisse is good but doesnt seem to be the 20 goal a season man you've missed since Owen left. Fowler (although you lot worship him), it must be said, is past his best, and not really good enough to be the man to win you the league. Crouch is crouch, he is what he is, nothing more. If Liverpool can sign a prolific goalscorer over the summer, then I'll be looking forward to a competative title race next year, and the look on 'the special ones' face when Chelsea fail to win anything.

i don't think anyone would disagree with you on that mate.

speaking of strikers, what do you think of marlon harewood? i'll be honest i've been surprised just how well he's done in the premiership this year. i thought he'd struggle.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion