Can we beat arsenal

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:05 am

A.B. wrote:I think we have learned our lesson about Arsenal, you can not settle for a score when playing against them. With our current squad we have a good chance of winning, our midfield is better and their defence isn't all that good.

Problem is A.B it loks like Benitez DOES settle for a score if Spurs away was anything to go by........We domiated first half , went 1-0 up then sat back and protected what we had......Ultimately it failed against Spurs and it sure as hell won't work against Arsenal !!!!!!  ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:06 am

I agree however you can't compater International and Premiership football but I understand what you're saying
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:07 am

Dalglish wrote:
A.B. wrote:I think we have learned our lesson about Arsenal, you can not settle for a score when playing against them. With our current squad we have a good chance of winning, our midfield is better and their defence isn't all that good.

Problem is A.B it loks like Benitez DOES settle for a score if Spurs away was anything to go by........We domiated first half , went 1-0 up then sat back and protected what we had......Ultimately it failed against Spurs and it sure as hell won't work against Arsenal !!!!!!  ???

I think by the time we play Arsenal, Rafa will understand that there is no settling in the Premiership.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby jordantoh » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:40 am

As good as Rafa is... he is still learning the culture of English Football.. getting all the info on words can't be compared to experiencing it on the pitch... he will learn that holding out 1 goal leads in the premiership against top sides is a no-no... LFC muz learn how to play a possesion game and attack when there is oppournity... not 11 men behind the ball... that is for relegation sides.. not a strong team like us who has the best midfield (kewell,gerrard,alonso,garcia) in the premiership...

the true test of how far we have come will be matches against the top 4 sides... Arsenal,Chelsea and Man Utd.. i am sure by the time we meet them.. Rafa will be able to instil the confidence and winning mentality into our players... Rite guys? :laugh: :cool: :laugh:
jordantoh

Postby desperado0831 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:59 am

i think we can beat arsenal in both home and away games this season because our team is getting mature and mature and all of our players show good team work.we will have a big step forward if we tame the gunners in fact of their winning record.
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:12 am

Quote (Santa @ Aug. 22 2004,17:26)
so...would you rather have Lehman or Dudek in your side after their latest clangers  ...that's one department where we are definately stronger than Arsenal at the moment.

Agreed! Lehmann is a big clown, second only to Barthez, but not just any clown, but a hot tempered one!

Lehmann is lucky because Arsenal have a very strong group of midfielders and keep possession most of the time and Viera and Gilberto Silva (the best Brazillian playing in the English league, very consistent, no fuss, no frills with an eye for goals and very cheap at 4.5 million) does well to intercept opposition passes that he is protected without having to be called into action a lot. Campbell is also a very good defender.

For all his faults and proneness to clangers, he is better than Lehmann - this guy thinks he is better than Oliver Kahn, must have smoked too much weed!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:19 am

So far this season Dudek's score card reads, played 2, mistakes 2, goals against 2.  This is not good enough, especially when playing against  Henry and his mates.  Why isn't Kirkland playing??  Dudek has lost it and needs to be dropped before he screws it up fpr us again.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:22 am

Quote (Dalglish @ Aug. 23 2004,01:05)
Problem is A.B it loks like Benitez DOES settle for a score if Spurs away was anything to go by........We domiated first half , went 1-0 up then sat back and protected what we had......Ultimately it failed against Spurs and it sure as hell won't work against Arsenal !!!!!! 

Dalglish, that was the first game of the season, we were playing with a makeshift right midfield, Liverpool was sti9ll short on players Benithez really wanted and that was the first English league game for Cisse.

As we have some time before the Arsenal game, we can get the first team players and the new boys to form some understanting and gel together and the team will take more of the shape and playing style Benithez wants, we do have a chance of doing well against Arsenal.

Watching the Arsenal-Boro game, I do admire Arsenal's passing and movement on and off the ball. They have 2 very good youngsters in Reyes and Fabergras. Wenger is some manager...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:26 am

Quote (jordantoh @ Aug. 23 2004,06:40)
...the true test of how far we have come will be matches against the top 4 sides... Arsenal,Chelsea and Man Utd.. i am sure by the time we meet them.. Rafa will be able to instil the confidence and winning mentality into our players... Rite guys?   

Apart from this, we must play with more consistency in the results against the smaller teams - the Charltons, the Boltons, the Portsmouths where we used to draw or lose especially in the past 2 years.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:54 am

the boro match yesterday proved that arsenal are definitely beatable. the problem was that even at 3-1 up, boro were defending sh#te. last season we played them off the peark for the first half hour and should have been 4-0 up but didn't take our chances. we also shot ourselves in the foot at highbury in the second half when 2-1 up. as long as we have our strongest eleven out i don't see a great deal of difference between the two sides.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:14 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Gorgeous football?

Go support spurs or West Ham. Winning football is far more important.

As Rafa keeps saying, "its about doing the right things".

Stu, you are a t1t sometimes, always criticising someone.

Their is nothing wrong with admiring 'attractive' football, yeah ok winning is winning but at the end of the day I'd lprefer us to play decent football and win rather than boring sh1t and scrape a 1-0 win. Regards to 'doing the right thing' well thats what Arsenal do which makes their football 'attractive'
Last edited by Paul C on Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:14 pm

The question is how to beat arsenal. Most teams who are up 3-1 against arsenal, will start defending and attack on the break. But this does not work if u watched yesterday's game.

If we take the game to arsenal, they will have the opportunity to counter attack fast (and i mean really fast). Their one twos are really awsome.

And once sol campbell comes back, their defence will go up a notch.

So how to beat them ?

Pray that henry does not play against us.

But it is no insult finishing 2nd to arsenal if they continue to play like this.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:33 pm

there is a chance that arsenal will eventually beat themselves through complacency. they are that good that there is a chance that they may lose when you least expect it. at the moment, the majority of teams are in awe and are beaten before they even go out on the pitch.

wouldn't it be great if we were the team to end their unbeaten run? :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby whylongball? » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:42 pm

Paul C wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Gorgeous football?

Go support spurs or West Ham. Winning football is far more important.

As Rafa keeps saying, "its about doing the right things".

Stu, you are a t1t sometimes, always criticising someone.

Their is nothing wrong with admiring 'attractive' football, yeah ok winning is winning but at the end of the day I'd lprefer us to play decent football and win rather than boring sh1t and scrape a 1-0 win. Regards to 'doing the right thing' well thats what Arsenal do which makes their football 'attractive'

i think Stu got a point. Anyway, Liv got very high chance to do beat Arsenal this season at least in Nov. Benitez will be more than a match for Wenger ...i see its more a battle of mind game..
whylongball?

Postby The_Rock » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:49 pm

stmichael wrote:there is a chance that arsenal will eventually beat themselves through complacency. they are that good that there is a chance that they may lose when you least expect it. at the moment, the majority of teams are in awe and are beaten before they even go out on the pitch.

wouldn't it be great if we were the team to end their unbeaten run? :)

it will, but i just can't see how carra & hyppia can stop henry & the other Olympic  sprinters.

Don't get me wrong, i like carragher as much as the next fan, but i don't think he is the right partner for hyppia, especially if we play against the gooners...
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion