Can we aim high in jan transfers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:37 pm

Garymac wrote:I was talking to me brother in law to be a while ago and we both said that Robben was dodgy, quite simply because, modern day dutch footballers all seem to be to big for the own boots and think they are better than they are. They have now heart, caracter or spirit, most dutch footballers are technically gifted and beautiful footballers, but look at there national team for christ sake, they all arrogant ba*tards, remember there last great hope vander varrt, from Ajax, looked super when he broke into the Ajax side and everyone raved about him and what happened, couple of years later sold to Hamburg for 3 million. You have to be careful when buying a dutchmen cos they come with a bag full of arrogance and i think Robben is the same, its in there fu*king genes or something!

Theres no doubting Robbens qualitys though and he would be a quality buy for anyone.

Thats the only serious post im making in this thread  :D

True about Van Der Vaart, however most people thought that he would play poor for Hamburg but he's been sensational for them.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:39 pm

bigmick wrote:Gotta agree though Phil that Riquelme looked more than a little tasty to be honest. He looked to be the sort of player that it's almost impossible to press when in posession. England gave up on trying as the game went on, preferring to cut off his passing options rather than actually try and disposess him. I read somewhere that he was voted the best overseas player in La Liga over Ronaldhino which sort of says it all really. He truly is a fabulous footballer based on that showing and I reckon Stevie G would've been quite happy for once to be played wide and out of his way. Certainly Fat Frank like King didn't know which way he'd gone half the time.

I saw Riquelme play for Villareal in the UEFA Cup last year, and he was superb. Every pass he made was sublime and his vision and intelligence on the ball was fantastic as well. I mentioned him on the forum the day after and not many people knew who the feck he was.

He was on loan for two seasons with Villa before they signed him,  Barca made a major mistake. When he was at Barca, their manager played him as a right-back  :glare:
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby drummerphil » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:46 pm

tell you  what AB now theres a player i would love to see in a red shirt,never happen i know but i bet hes close on 25-30 million has to be.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:48 pm

bigmick wrote:Gotta agree though Phil that Riquelme looked more than a little tasty to be honest. He looked to be the sort of player that it's almost impossible to press when in posession. England gave up on trying as the game went on, preferring to cut off his passing options rather than actually try and disposess him. I read somewhere that he was voted the best overseas player in La Liga over Ronaldhino which sort of says it all really. He truly is a fabulous footballer based on that showing and I reckon Stevie G would've been quite happy for once to be played wide and out of his way. Certainly Fat Frank like King didn't know which way he'd gone half the time.

and Maureen quotes last week that Lampard is the best in the world.He obviously hasnt watched Riquelme very much then.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:48 pm

drummerphil wrote:tell you  what AB now theres a player i would love to see in a red shirt,never happen i know but i bet hes close on 25-30 million has to be.

Wasnt he on the request list in the transfer window to come to us? I think he was I remember reading loads of reports about Rafa wanting to bring him to Liverpool, wish he would have come to us, he's amazing.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:50 pm

drummerphil wrote:tell you  what AB now theres a player i would love to see in a red shirt,never happen i know but i bet hes close on 25-30 million has to be.

Villareal payed 8 million for him  :oops: [the price will probably will rise via CL appearances but still thats not a lot]
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:03 am

Funnily enough I'm not so sure that he (Riquelme) would do the business in the English Premiership to be honest. One of the reasons that England found it impossible to press him was that his intelligence in getting himself inbetween player and ball meant that if they overpressured he drew the foul every time. This for me is the absolute crux of why foreign players so often have difficulty adapting to the Prem. In England a much greater amount of physical contact is allowed by the referees and therefore you are able to press the ball much more tenaciously. This in turn means teams are more prepared to concede posession than on the continent as they know they will like as not be able to press and win it back, this obviously makes the tempo of the game a lot higher.
Riquelme is a fabulous footballer of that there is no doubt, but I can't help feeling he would spend a lot of his time sitting on his erse looking at the referee disbelievingly. Also in the Prem he would be asked to cover a good deal more ground than he did the other night. I remember a few years ago that other little Argentinian fella, the one who got Beckham sent off whose name escapes me right now, he would have cut it in England and no mistake. Surprised me that nobody ever went for him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:04 am

was that Simone.....might be wrong
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:07 am

Yeah thats him Phil. Hard little fecker who kept it simple. Sort of a modern day Ardiles in his own way.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:07 am

i was close just checked......Diego Simeone
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:12 am

bigmick wrote:Funnily enough I'm not so sure that he (Riquelme) would do the business in the English Premiership to be honest. One of the reasons that England found it impossible to press him was that his intelligence in getting himself inbetween player and ball meant that if they overpressured he drew the foul every time. This for me is the absolute crux of why foreign players so often have difficulty adapting to the Prem. In England a much greater amount of physical contact is allowed by the referees and therefore you are able to press the ball much more tenaciously. This in turn means teams are more prepared to concede posession than on the continent as they know they will like as not be able to press and win it back, this obviously makes the tempo of the game a lot higher.
Riquelme is a fabulous footballer of that there is no doubt, but I can't help feeling he would spend a lot of his time sitting on his erse looking at the referee disbelievingly. Also in the Prem he would be asked to cover a good deal more ground than he did the other night. I remember a few years ago that other little Argentinian fella, the one who got Beckham sent off whose name escapes me right now, he would have cut it in England and no mistake. Surprised me that nobody ever went for him.

Spot on Mick. That's one of the flaws Riqeulme has, and there arent many of them. But credit to him for surviving the kicking Neverton gave him but still managed to outplay them.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Houllier=LFC » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:53 am

With Riquelme and Messi Argentina gonna be a serious contender for World Cup.
Houllier=LFC

Postby RedWolf35 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:31 am

I was just thinking    if everyone if so fed up with duplicate posts appearing   why are we posting on them?  just ignore them and let the mod's delete them asap   I was on holiday last week and could only sign on as a guest   could not believe some of the :censored: threads springing up    what about about not letting any new members post a thread for at least 6 months??
RedWolf35

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:57 am

RedWolf35 wrote:   what about about not letting any new members post a thread for at least 6 months??

and while where at it, why not rebuild the Berlin wall and flog anyone who happens to disagree with the majority...
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Poolinc. » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:59 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:i think you should just quit now before you get your :censored: kicked by the members of this forum, for posting some of the dumbest things weve seen in months.

Jaysus! I'm finding hard to believe the level of down right nastiness to someone who only wants Liverpool on top of the world.. I'll admit that those 3 are pure flights of fancy but some have got the underlying idea, which is, we need to sign genuine class, not dead-beats...
Pooh pooh the mere notion of getting world class players is all well and good but I refuse to give up on the attraction of playing for LIVERPOOL FC. Regardless of the doomsday merchants, that must still mean something! Mustn't it?
And with regard  to paying £18m for Owen 12 months after selling him for £9m? Well, I for one would pay £9m for a world class striker, a man capable of winning games. Have we forgotten the FA Cup final against the Gunners?? Well, if you have, try to rememeber as far back as last weekends Argentinian game! Worth £9m? You betcha!!
Poolinc.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion