Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Delayed gazelle anyone?  :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:27 pm

I was thinking the other day.

How do you think it would have gone at Old Trafford if we were, say, 1 point behind Man U before the game?

I dont have an answer to that, but I did think we played the way we did because it was "do or die".

I think we have played much more direct lately.
When Xabi and Masch have been passing it between themselves, instead of passing it back
or sideways, Gerrard has been seeing the ball quicker, as has Kuyt and Riera.
It has meant that we have been playing a lot more football further up the pitch.

Direct football, or route one, has been another massive factor.

I just want to say one thing though - football is a funny old game.
You can put in the best performances of the season, and end up winning nothing.
Let's just hope we aren't peaking too soon.

Im well enjoying it tho - I'd given up on the league.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:28 am

Nothing is more exciting than confidence in the passing between Liverpool players. I don't care where it came from or what's causing it as long as it isn't interupted :D
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:06 am

Effes wrote:I was thinking the other day.

How do you think it would have gone at Old Trafford if we were, say, 1 point behind Man U before the game?

I dont have an answer to that, but I did think we played the way we did because it was "do or die".

I think we have played much more direct lately.
When Xabi and Masch have been passing it between themselves, instead of passing it back
or sideways, Gerrard has been seeing the ball quicker, as has Kuyt and Riera.
It has meant that we have been playing a lot more football further up the pitch.

Direct football, or route one, has been another massive factor.

I just want to say one thing though - football is a funny old game.
You can put in the best performances of the season, and end up winning nothing.
Let's just hope we aren't peaking too soon.

Im well enjoying it tho - I'd given up on the league.

So had I
But now I see a real chance and I hope we are up for it because they will be.

Just another factor I dont know if anyone has pointed out? Goals coming from others: Kuyt, Benayoun, Dossena, Riera. This wasnt happening as much as is it now. Or am I wrong...
Again
:no
:D
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:14 am

Well I could offer alternative answers, not that I think Sir Roger is endearing himself to anyone in this thread with his attitude towards replies, acting like he's a teacher asking his pupils a question and constantly stearing them towards his answer.

One answer is that it's nothing new for us, we've often scored a hatful in a game or three and then gone back to missing chances and ordinary results. That's how these sequences of scores came about :-

2007/08

Blackburn 0-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 8-0 Besiktas
Liverpool 2-0 Fulham
Newcastle 0-3 Liverpool
Liverpool 4-1 Porto
Liverpool 4-0 Bolton
READING 3-1 LIVERPOOL

So 21 goals in five games sandwiched between a 0-0 draw and 1-3 defeat. Less of a run earlier this season :

2008/09

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 3-0 Bolton
Newcastle 1-5 Liverpool
Preston 0-2 Liverpool
Stoke 0-0 Liverpool

Only 10 goals in three games sandwiched between two draws. The reason why perhaps is just that's how football goes sometimes, the team hits form, everything goes in and confidence is high.

The other principle answer is scoring early and scoring more than one in the first half

THIRTEEN GOALS

vs Real Madrid : scored in the 16th, 28th, 47th and 88th minutes
vs Man Utd : scored in the 28th, 44th, 77th and 90th minutes
vs Aston Villa : scored in the 8th, 33rd, 39th, 50th and 65th minutes

In all three games we had scored at least two goals in the first half, over half the 13 goals came in the first halves

4+ GOALS - FIRST HALF GOALS

2 vs Real Madrid (4-0)
2 vs Man Utd (4-1)
3 vs Aston Villa (5-0)
2 vs Newcastle (5-1)

There will be times when you can score four and most come second half, but it gets you off to a good start and let's not forget that it was only 2-1 when Vidic was sent off and we scored the third from the resulting free-kick. Virtually everything went in against villa, helped by two penalties and two free-kicks - four of our five goals resulted directly or indirectly from a dead-ball situation (free-kick or penalty) How often will our set-pieces be that effective or we win penalties that often? FOUR penalties, three from free kicks so that's more from dead-ball situations than open play, even if I've missed any from free-kicks (two against villa, Aurelio against the mancs) - or maybe even indirectly from throw-ins! I haven't included a long punt upfield by Reina either, that is open play but very much route one.

But doubtless the real reason is Sir Roger posting about, and therefore raising awareness of, such issues as throw-ins! :laugh:
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:34 am

Owzat wrote:Well I could offer alternative answers, not that I think Sir Roger is endearing himself to anyone in this thread with his attitude towards replies, acting like he's a teacher asking his pupils a question and constantly stearing them towards his answer.

One answer is that it's nothing new for us, we've often scored a hatful in a game or three and then gone back to missing chances and ordinary results. That's how these sequences of scores came about :-

2007/08

Blackburn 0-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 8-0 Besiktas
Liverpool 2-0 Fulham
Newcastle 0-3 Liverpool
Liverpool 4-1 Porto
Liverpool 4-0 Bolton
READING 3-1 LIVERPOOL

So 21 goals in five games sandwiched between a 0-0 draw and 1-3 defeat. Less of a run earlier this season :

2008/09

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 3-0 Bolton
Newcastle 1-5 Liverpool
Preston 0-2 Liverpool
Stoke 0-0 Liverpool

Only 10 goals in three games sandwiched between two draws. The reason why perhaps is just that's how football goes sometimes, the team hits form, everything goes in and confidence is high.

The other principle answer is scoring early and scoring more than one in the first half

THIRTEEN GOALS

vs Real Madrid : scored in the 16th, 28th, 47th and 88th minutes
vs Man Utd : scored in the 28th, 44th, 77th and 90th minutes
vs Aston Villa : scored in the 8th, 33rd, 39th, 50th and 65th minutes

In all three games we had scored at least two goals in the first half, over half the 13 goals came in the first halves

4+ GOALS - FIRST HALF GOALS

2 vs Real Madrid (4-0)
2 vs Man Utd (4-1)
3 vs Aston Villa (5-0)
2 vs Newcastle (5-1)

There will be times when you can score four and most come second half, but it gets you off to a good start and let's not forget that it was only 2-1 when Vidic was sent off and we scored the third from the resulting free-kick. Virtually everything went in against villa, helped by two penalties and two free-kicks - four of our five goals resulted directly or indirectly from a dead-ball situation (free-kick or penalty) How often will our set-pieces be that effective or we win penalties that often? FOUR penalties, three from free kicks so that's more from dead-ball situations than open play, even if I've missed any from free-kicks (two against villa, Aurelio against the mancs) - or maybe even indirectly from throw-ins! I haven't included a long punt upfield by Reina either, that is open play but very much route one.

But doubtless the real reason is Sir Roger posting about, and therefore raising awareness of, such issues as throw-ins! :laugh:

It certainly has made an imperssion hasnt it!
:laugh:
No doubt people will be looking at throw ins more often now
That was the intention.

Endearing myself?
Thats not my aim at all. I believe in discussion and debate. I am bored easily that why I dont enjoy anyone who just agrees for the sake of it and base their opinions on blind loyalty.
Teacher steering towards an answer?
Sometimes I must admit I do feel that some are not as knowledgable as they think and do need some guidance now and again.
But.
I dont profess to know everything and I do sometimes like winding people up to get a reaction. How tedious would it be if we all agreed on everything?
Just livening up what some could call a drab and dreary day in old Liddypool
:;):
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 am

Tbh i dont think one person is watching throw ins anymore seriously than they did before your thread .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:56 am

GYBS wrote:Tbh i dont think one person is watching throw ins anymore seriously than they did before your thread .

Bet they do...
:;):
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:08 am

I bet no one really gives a sh ite as there is more important things to be concentrating on , but you can give us a throw in update on a weekly basis if you want
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Sabre wrote:Delayed gazelle anyone?  :D

Nope

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:39 pm

It was a joke aimed to bring Mick to the discussion. I know he's there, reading. :D

What would be your reasons to explain those fantastic results then? :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:59 pm

Sabre wrote:It was a joke aimed to bring Mick to the discussion. I know he's there, reading. :D

What would be your reasons to explain those fantastic results then? :)

I dont know, possibly the fact it was crunch time. Madrid in the CL is very prestigious draw, it may of gave them extra motivation. Of course the crowd definately played it's part.

No doubt the training leading up to the match was astute and calculated. The boys really put on a performance, it reminded me of when we rushed Juve at home. When Garcia scored that fantastic goal, they couldnt handle the tempo and neither could Madrid.Our boys had more fight and heart and the crowd really did lift them.

We're at our best when we've been written off, Manchester United had to win tha game and more or less become champions. Yet the lads IMO played United as they played Madrid in Spain. A very strategic gameplan, I've said before we respond to bigger clubs as they have the onus to get at us. We're better to deal with that than breaking teams down. And I suppose after the Madrid game and with United only needing to win this fixture daylight woiuld of cleared at the top of the table. They work well under pressure and we picked off United with some simple route one stuff. Torres in particular ran Rio and Vidic ragged that day. With him and Gerrard back in the team finding form their a handful for any team. The injuries previous can be put down to delayed gazelle and the hungry cheetah to an extent. They have been delayed because they were injured, but nothing to do with rotating Gerrard 4 months ago for 60 mins.

Furthermore Anfield was buzzing against Villa no doubt Danny Murphy had an impact on the crowds atmos. That result down a Craven cottage got the crowd believing and then in effect got the players believing IMO. The crowd play a HUGE impact at home, when their vocal. But when they turn up and just expect Liverpool to beat Fulham the atmos isnt there and I believe that does effect the players. The fans need to be lifted by the players, but the players need to be lifted by the crowd sometimes.

Basically in terms of home games if the crowd are buzzing (proper) 9/10 the Reds will get the result.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby DanAn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:47 pm

I'd argue we've been playing like this most of the year. I'd struggle to think of a single occasion we have looked 2nd best. However we are easily thwarted by sitting back and defending. Small teams sit back and pick off a point or steal the three. Large teams however come at us but get chopped to bits for their efforts.

We play much better when teams come at us.
DanAn

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:53 pm

GYBS wrote:I bet no one really gives a sh ite as there is more important things to be concentrating on , but you can give us a throw in update on a weekly basis if you want

It will be on your mind now in every game and you will have to force yourself not to analyse throw ins
:laugh:
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Um not really - as i said i will be concentrating on more important things .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion