Can anyone pinpoint the reason

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Dossena and Riera's goals were almost identical.  Reina spotted them and they made the run to receive the ball.  Once = luck, twice = planned move.  Imagine if that gets worked on in training then works for real in the game.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Sir Roger wrote:Thanks for that mate
How interesting are those statistics?
4 route ones, 4 pens, 3 free kicks
Definitely a change there I think
Wonder if Rafa said something or has it just clicked in the players' heads?

I think, as St. Mike, has said, that much depends on the tactics of our opponents.  Route One as we've played it recently (i.e. the ball over the top of the defenders, not the conventional lumped ball aimed at a target man to knock down) requires a back four that pushes way up, leaving Torres (or Riera or Dossena or Arbeloa in recent instances) room to run in behind and get onto these balls.  Judging by Rafa's remarks after the Manc game, this was clearly a conscious tactic deployed to capitalize against their predicted high defensive line so I wouldn't be surprised if it was also a strategy that was "on the menu" for Madrid and Villa too.

When you look at the penalties, two came from Route One tactics (the ones won by Arbeloa and Riera) and two came from surging runs by Torres and Gerrard, perhaps in a counterattacking situation.  The free kicks came from nice work near the opponents' box by Gerrard against Vidic, Riera against Reo-Coker and Kuyt against Davies (?).  These reflect an overall brightness and sharpness to our play that have asked serious questions of defenders.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:59 pm

taff wrote:Dossena and Riera's goals were almost identical.  Reina spotted them and they made the run to receive the ball.  Once = luck, twice = planned move.  Imagine if that gets worked on in training then works for real in the game.

I recall that he set up a similar goal for Torres last year as well, mate.  Deffo a planned move in my mind.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby taff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:05 pm

I can see how Casillas, Petr Cech are better keepers than Pepe but I think he is the best in the world for attacking. Also teams now will be very aware of attacking from set pieces against us
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Pepe is the best keeper in the world when it comes to distrubuting the ball , as soon as he gets it he is already looking to release it quickly and then a lot of times a quick aimed kick releases a player . Casillas is a better shot stopper and at crosses . Cech these days is behind those two .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:29 pm

Biggest difference is we are scoring in the first half. I think that the team look alot more relaxed and united in the same cause but we have played three teams that have attacked us. I think that as the lads are playing with confidence and we will get the luck we need against Fulham and co. Before against these teams we dominated possession but lacked belief, now that is different and we should go from strength to strength  :buttrock
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:22 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
tonyeh wrote:I think there was about 4 players in the box when Kuyt scored his rebound against Villa on the weekend.

At the beginning of the year, Robbie Keane (or whoever was up top) was lucky to have had ANYONE following the ball from midfield. More often than not, our striker was alone in the box and surrounded by different coloured shirts.

To be fair, Tony, Kuyt scored as a result of a free kick.  It's hardly surprising he was surrounded by red shirts in the box, is it?

That's true. Forgot it was a free.

Still though, we do seem to be getting forward a lot more than in the first half of the season.
tonyeh

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:52 pm

More attacking? No. We're not really playing that different. The key is simple: cohesion. Gerrard and Torres are providing the spark we've been lacking. Teams can't handle the two of them when they are on song. Also, there is an element of fear when teams are playing us now with those two in the starting line-up. Also, the long ball thing is certainly a tactic. If the ball is clipped into the right area for it to bounce and there is space behind the last defenders, it causes uncertainty and panic. Pepe's kicking is so accurate that he can drop a ball into an area where the center backs can't rush out to head it away before the ball drops, which is one of the worst things a defender can do is to let it bounce.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Just pure luck and destiny
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:15 pm

Emerald Red wrote:More attacking? No. We're not really playing that different. The key is simple: cohesion. Gerrard and Torres are providing the spark we've been lacking. Teams can't handle the two of them when they are on song. Also, there is an element of fear when teams are playing us now with those two in the starting line-up. Also, the long ball thing is certainly a tactic. If the ball is clipped into the right area for it to bounce and there is space behind the last defenders, it causes uncertainty and panic. Pepe's kicking is so accurate that he can drop a ball into an area where the center backs can't rush out to head it away before the ball drops, which is one of the worst things a defender can do is to let it bounce.

If I am right two of those goals against the mancs were caused by vidic and ferdinand both ducking instead of heading?
I wonder why they did that?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:22 pm

definitely throw-ins...

it is obvious that after we sold riise, our throw-ins are much better...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:27 pm

maguskwt wrote:definitely throw-ins...

it is obvious that after we sold riise, our throw-ins are much better...

Let it go mate
:laugh:
I'm right so forget about it
:;):
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Sir Roger wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:More attacking? No. We're not really playing that different. The key is simple: cohesion. Gerrard and Torres are providing the spark we've been lacking. Teams can't handle the two of them when they are on song. Also, there is an element of fear when teams are playing us now with those two in the starting line-up. Also, the long ball thing is certainly a tactic. If the ball is clipped into the right area for it to bounce and there is space behind the last defenders, it causes uncertainty and panic. Pepe's kicking is so accurate that he can drop a ball into an area where the center backs can't rush out to head it away before the ball drops, which is one of the worst things a defender can do is to let it bounce.

If I am right two of those goals against the mancs were caused by vidic and ferdinand both ducking instead of heading?
I wonder why they did that?

ah... now I know the answer you're looking for...

yup... we bribed them...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:16 pm

GYBS wrote:Its because we have both gerrard and torres fit and in form - the guys have a lot more confiidence in themselevs - players are stepping up their game and most of the squad are on form .

totally agree mate, with gerrard & torres showing the desire now both fully fit, it has been an example to the rest of the team who have responded brilliantly,there is a real feel of team spirit also that has also been highlighted lately- when reina set up rierra's goal mash & alonso both ran to him to acknowledge his contribution, brilliant to see. the team spirit has always been there imho but it's more evident now, as it's crunch time for the title.

also think that some people are calling it luck, i call it refs descisions in some games going are waqy to even themselves out over a course of the season. if that is luck going our way then so be it, you won't hear me quiberling about it.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:10 pm

reason is that we are better than anyone and everyone ... line em up and we'll put em down... was just a matter of time... now bring back the footie who the fck cares about internationals !!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion