Buying a right sided player - How will it affect us?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:38 pm

Haven’t read all of the thread but I think I got the jist. Just a few points from me:

- Gerrard is wasted as one of the two central midfielders when we play 4-2-3-1, as they both sit deep and try to influence the play from there.

- I don’t think that Sissoko or Garcia has to be accommodated as such. And I think in the 4-2-3-1,

- Hamann and Alonso are the most effective central midfield partnership we have, and that is even considering Gerrard.

- I remember saying last season that although he was a handy player I didn’t think Garcia will be a first teamer in the long term, people gave me an absolute grilling and banged on about him being the new Daglish and how he was a little genius and using ridiculous words such as World Class. Funny how people are now not even considering Garcia for the first team!

- 4-2-3-1 is an excellent system but it can’t be used until you have all the "pieces to the jigsaw", but with the 4-4-2 you can over up a lot of deficiencies.

- Although Crouch is a good player, I don’t believe that he is good enough to lead the line in a 4-2-3-1, none or our striker our. So until we find a high quality striker who is suited to that role we need to stick with 2 upfront.

So in conclusion, it would be this for me:

4-4-2:

Reina

Finnan         Hyypia   Carragher   Riise/Warnock

New Player Gerrard     Alonso      Kewell

Crouch     Cisse/Morinetes/ Pongolle

4-2-3-1:

Reina

Finnan         Hyypia   Carragher   Riise/Warnock

Alonso   Hamann

New Player         Gerrard              Kewell

New player

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1136150807 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:43 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:- Gerrard is wasted as one of the two central midfielders when we play 4-2-3-1, as they both sit deep and try to influence the play from there.

Good post CHL, but I think in the 4-2-3-1, that Gerrard wouldnt be one of the 'sitting' midfielders, that job would go to Xabi and either of Hamann/Sissoko (though I feel Didi, is just about finished in Rafa's eys TBH, though will see some European night action before he leaves in the summer!).

That gives license for Stevie to get forward and help the front three (whoever they may be!) safe in the knowledge there are still two central midfielders there in case the atck breaks down and the opposition launch a quick counter attack.
72-1136150807

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:44 pm

Hoodfella wrote:Stevie G comes off the flank and roams the pitch, making it harder for opposition players to know who should be marking who, and while they figure it out, we go and score a goal. I would expect the new player to be more of an out and out right sided player and to tend to stay there.

I would very disapointed if we just got a winger who sticks to the right hand side, gets to the byline and just crosses the ball, what is the point of that? If we want that why not put Finnan there!

Todays right and left sided players always drift and swap sides, come into the centre, which makes it very diffucult to mark.

I expect Rafa will get some who can roam and be effective when switching flanks.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1136150807 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:49 pm

Fair enough, but the switching of flanks is a relatively new concept these days, of course a bit of flexibility will be needed, and considering we buy a 'top' player, then they should have this, as all top players have adaptability.
I just doubt that if the player is naturally a right sided player, that they would 'wander' as much as SG can. The difference is that SG is so good that he can play RM with no problem, but his natural position is through the centre (as we all know!) and that why he tends to be so effective coming off the flank and coming inside (to the centre) where he is most dangerous.

A naturally RM player would of course be able to cut in, in the same fashion, the thing is will they be as effective in an area that is not there 'natural position' as Gerrard can?
72-1136150807

Postby Effes » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:57 pm

Sorry lads, got to intercept here.
Put your hands up if your daily/routine job is in football.
Thought so.

Right. This thread is boring twaddle.
Get a grip.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:08 pm

Get a grip.

And this opinion of yours, affects me how? ???
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikeg » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:09 pm

i know it wont happen because im sure gerrard in the long term accept playing on the right forever and will demand to go back in the centre but how about this for a dream midfield???

kewell     alonso     ballack     gerrard
mikeg

Postby 72-1136150807 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:13 pm

Effes wrote:Sorry lads, got to intercept here.
Thought so.

Get a grip.

So do we have to be 'in' football, to talk about the possible tactics of our team?  Please!
Football is not just about skill, goals, and Player of the Year (for me anyway!), tactics are one of the most important factors in football, especially if you REALLY want to win things.

So you think we beat Juve/Chelsea by having better players? No, we had better tactics. So, sorry if you find this boring!

Transfer rumours are 'Boring' mate!
72-1136150807

Postby 72-1136150807 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:16 pm

mikeg wrote:i know it wont happen because im sure gerrard in the long term accept playing on the right forever and will demand to go back in the centre but how about this for a dream midfield???

Aesthetically, it is wonderful. But TBH mikeg, there is just not enough steel in there for me. And Rafa (from what I can make out!) seems to concentrate on defence first and foremost. I mean if you dont concede, you cant lose!
72-1136150807

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:17 pm

Hoodfella wrote:I mean if you dont concede, you cant lose!

If you dont score you cant win(excluding on goals)!

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:21 pm

We are not in football, no, and prolly we'll never be. But talking about tactics helps to understand the game, and undertanding the game helps not to say utter bollox when you say your view about the game.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:23 pm

Effes wrote:Sorry lads, got to intercept here.
Thought so.

Get a grip.

So what are you doing on a Football Discussion forum then?

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikeg » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:30 pm

Hoodfella wrote:
mikeg wrote:i know it wont happen because im sure gerrard in the long term accept playing on the right forever and will demand to go back in the centre but how about this for a dream midfield???

Aesthetically, it is wonderful. But TBH mikeg, there is just not enough steel in there for me. And Rafa (from what I can make out!) seems to concentrate on defence first and foremost. I mean if you dont concede, you cant lose!

you would be suprised just how strong a player alonso and ballack are defensively and in the tackle, i think this gets overlooked because they are such wonderfully skilled players that people just think they must be a soft touch like most foreigners with silky skills, its not the case tho then two as a central pairing would be very strong indeed.  And they would have gerrard as protection too as he has the freedom to roam from the right mid position, he has almost played central mid and righyt mid at the same time recently he is that good lol.
mikeg

Postby 72-1136150807 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:34 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Hoodfella wrote:I mean if you dont concede, you cant lose!

If you dont score you cant win(excluding on goals)!

Touche.

But my point (that I admittedly didnt elaborate on!) is that I think Rafa, is more likely to play the 4-3-2-1, becuase it is a lot more sturdy, will be harder for teams to break us down, but yet, we still have three attacking (which can become four) players to get us the goal to 'win' the game!

Rafa, is a cautious manager, especially is a big game. I think he prefers to work on not conceding first, as he knows we have players that CAN grab a goal for us, be it a striker or the attacking midfielders.
72-1136150807

Postby 72-1136150807 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:39 pm

mikeg wrote:
Hoodfella wrote:

you would be suprised just how strong a player alonso and ballack are defensively and in the tackle, i think this gets overlooked because they are such wonderfully skilled players that people just think they must be a soft touch like most foreigners with silky skills, its not the case tho then two as a central pairing would be very strong indeed.  And they would have gerrard as protection too as he has the freedom to roam from the right mid position, he has almost played central mid and righyt mid at the same time recently he is that good lol.

I am well aware of Alonso's defensive abilities, the Juve game comes straight to my mind. Ballack is decent in his defensive duties at best, he is an out and out attacking midfielder.

But the thing is, in that Juve game for example, we didnt really see Alonso's 'passing game' as he had so much defensive duties to take care of, which is fine, as thats what the game required.

I just feel that with the added protection of a Hamman or Sissoko, it frees players like Xabi and Gerrard to get on with what they are best at. Dictating play and tempo and driving at defences and joining attacks late respectively.

EDIT - I never 'think' that a player is lighweight or weak in the tackle based on them being a foriegner or not. Never comes into my thinking. Just feel we get the best when we have someone specifically there to get 'stuck in'.
I really think, that after a Momo tackle, it sets the tone of things in Midfield and the oppo midfielders are more than well aware they are in for a tough battle.
72-1136150807

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion